Top 10 horror movies this decade

Manny/Patrick

Don’t Breathe is not a horror movie.  I’m sorry, but it’s not.  Somebody has to make a stand for a difference between horror and thriller and that person might as well be me.  If it can happen within the laws of what we as humans currently understand, it’s a thriller.  If it cannot, or if it involves the cosmos (aliens, unknown phenomenon, etc), it is horror.  

Since Don’t Breathe involves no supernatural or unexplainable elements, it is a violent thriller.  Otherwise, yeah, I would agree that one is top 10 horror of the decade.

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

The Witch

The wailing

Hereditary

The Babadook

Starry Eyes

The conjuring

Train to Busan

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

What We Do in the Shadows

Kill List

Definitely don’t agree with Tucker & Dale, Starry Eyes, The Babadook or evening The Wailing, but I gave this a like for the props to The Wailing.  Really good movie right there.

2009 - 2019 has been a brutally bad decade when it comes to horror movies.  Sad to say, I haven't seen close to 10 in the last decade that I would put up there as "best of" great.  The only ones that come to mind right now, (and I wouldn't consider anywhere near as good as the truly good horror movies in history) are:

- Drag Me To Hell - Maybe the best horror movie I've seen in the last 10 years.  Liked, it enough to buy the DVD.  The old lady was a great character.

- Texas Chainsaw 3D - Not a great installment in this franchise.  If you want the best, see the original from 1974.  This one only made the list because of a lack of other good movies and mainly because Alexandra Daddario looked so absolutely gorgeous in it.  She has never looked better!

- 10 Cloverfield Lane - This probably isn't even a horror movie, per se, but I did enjoy it and it was the first one I thought of.  John Goodman was great in it.

- Hush - A movie about a deaf woman who has a masked maniac trying to get into her house at night.  I have watched it a couple times and would recommend watching it.

- Terrifier - If you're into gore and creepy clowns, this one is probably worth checking out.  Still, only about 3 out of 5 stars though.

- The Unborn - Starring the beautiful Odette (Yustman) Annable, there are a few parts that will get you to jump a little.

- Kristy - College girl being chased around campus by masked men.  Not great, but not too bad.

- The Monster - I was half asleep when I watched this one but woke up a little at the end when the monster appeared. 

- The Babysitter - Ok, I know, I know.  It wasn't scary at all, but it was kind of a fun one, even if it was horribly predictable.

- 2009 NFC Championship Game - Vikings/Saints.  Bountygate, turnovers galore, and of course, the unforgettable finish.  "This isn't Detroit, man, this is the Super Bowl!"  Come to think of it, this was definitely the most horrifying thing on this list to watch - at least if you are a Vikings fan.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

If we are using the above stated definition of Horror Films, this would be my list. And honestly, for me, the Top 4 are pretty much locks in that order for me. And I would put the Top 7 up against almost any decade of films, and they are all “all time greats” to me in this genre

1. Get Out
  2. It Follows
  3. A Quiet Place
  4. Hereditary 
  5. The Conjuring
  6. Train to Busan
  7. IT
  8. Under the Skin
  9. Let Me In
  10. Cabin in the Woods

I didn’t want to like Let Me In, as it’s a remake, but it’s still really good. Honorable mention to RAW, and If we expanded the Definition, Green Room would have made the list. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If we are using the above stated definition of Horror Films, this would be my list. And honestly, for me, the Top 4 are pretty much locks in that order for me. And I would put the Top 7 up against almost any decade of films, and they are all “all time greats” to me in this genre

1. Get Out
  2. It Follows
  3. A Quiet Place
  4. Hereditary 
  5. The Conjuring
  6. Train to Busan
  7. IT
  8. Under the Skin
  9. Let Me In
  10. Cabin in the Woods

I didn’t want to like Let Me In, as it’s a remake, but it’s still really good. Honorable mention to RAW, and If we expanded the Definition, Green Room would have made the list. 

You can go by whatever definition you want, I’m just a stickler because I believe there should be some separation otherwise anything could be called horror and I believe it deserves its own clear genre.  And I prefer Let Me In to Let the Right One In, but I also believe LTROI is the better movie of the two.