Top 10 horror movies this decade

Manny/Patrick

1. A Quiet Place - No movie of this decade or the decade before has perfectly blended heart with suspense and storytelling.  It’s a movie that is only going to appreciate in time.  It won’t be considered the profound achievement in filmmaking the way The Exorcist or The Shining have, but it is going to be a fixture in everybody’s list.  It’s going to be like Princess Bride for horror films.  

2. Hereditary - Hold up on everything I’m about to say about The Conjuring, it all applies to this movie.  I always underrated Hereditary because it creeped me out so badly.  If there was a literal definition of the heebie jeebies, this movie literally gave them to me.  It was a different type of scared throughout, and although it turns a lot of people off by being an extremely slow burn with the weirdest, yet most effective use of drama turned into horror, the final ten minutes managed to scare the absolute crap out of me.  It sucks that horror fans are so saturated with expectations and standard horror tropes and plots that they cannot appreciate a movie trying to make something truly terrifying and unexpected.  

3. The Conjuring - Due to today’s audiences and filmmaking overall, this movie is probably the closest we will ever get to another The Shining/The Exorcist level of excellent filmmaking mixed with genuine scares.  This is the last movie to make me actually afraid after watching it.  

4. Last Shift - This one is up here for two reasons.  First, it’s the most underrated of the decade.  Second, it actually terrified me.  Most of that is because I have a serious fear of furniture becoming animate and this one had a scene with that happening that literally made my calf muscles tense up and feel like concrete.  Probably the very best independent horror movie ever.  

5. The Cabin in the Woods - No movie ever has perfectly blended satire with genre.  The movie is very self-aware obviously, but it also presents plenty of epic horror scenes, and the elevator scene is probably one of the best in the genre.  

6. It Chapter 2 / It Chapter 1 - The movie has definite faults, but I enjoyed it much more than the first one.  The first one seemed to rely on nostalgia and the Stranger Things angle, but darker.  The first one is definitely a better movie, but I just feel like the scares weren’t all that inspired.  Plus, the second one had the most obvious and best reference to my favorite movie of all-time (The Thing 1982), and I got a little choked up at that scene because it showed how good a mix of current CGI plus practical effects would look in a The Thing sequel/remake/equel. / It Chapter 1 - Already talked about this one.  The second one had this fault for sure, but the first one just didn’t really seem to have any real sense of danger.  That’s probably because I’ve read the novel, but you never really got the sense that the Losers Club was in any real danger.  When you really think about it, it’s just a clown literally trying to scare kids who decide they don’t want to be scared and that there’s no power in Pennywise if they’re not afraid of it.  Screw it, I’m considering It one movie split into two parts.  Because that’s what it is.  

7. Insidious - Say what you want about the sequels and it would all be true, but the first one was legitimately scary.  

8. The Ritual - Major props to this movie for creating a different monster, but also for making the monster the least scary part of the movie.  That scene with the cult I remember scaring the crap outta me.  

9. Krampus - Yeah it’s mostly comedy, but it had some really great horror sequences, and the early beginning is extremely eerie with a heavy creepy vibe that I love.  I watch this one every Christmas and it gets better each time.  

10. The Innkeepers - A SERIOUS slow burn where nothing remotely scary happens for the first hour and 20 minutes, but the final five minutes REALLY pay off.  

Honorable Mentions:

Overlord - The first half of this movie had me hyped as hell thinking they’d captured some of The Thing’s dialogue and characters.  It fell way off in the second half.  

Coherence - If this wasn’t more science fiction, it would have made my list.  If you like cosmic horror with weird time/whatever anomalies, you should watch this one.  

Annabelle - The first one was the best one, and it had a scene that got me really good.  

Paranormal Activity 3 - Really underrated and judged too harshly for association with the first two.  Some really great scenes in this one.  

10 Cloverfield Lane - Same as the Coherence explanation.  If it wasn’t more science fiction, it would have made my list.

What We Do in the Shadows - Yeah, it’s horror, but no, it’s not.  It’s a comedy.  Hilarious and probably the best comedy of the decade, but I cannot put it in a horror top ten list.  

It Follows - Love the concept, but it really only stands out because it was well-made with an original concept.  And that’s coming from one of its biggest defenders.  

Evil Dead - This story should be serious.  It’s why I prefer the original Evil Dead to the sequel/remake.  Because the first and second with Ash is the weirdest sequel that’s actually a remake but also a sequel.  

Let Me In / Let the Right One in - Both better than a lot of people give them credit for being.  

Train to Busan - Just so not into zombie movies anymore.  This one was great though. 

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Couldn’t possibly disagree more. Especially in the last 6 years there have been some amazing Horror films

I guess I must be getting old.  Maybe I've seen so many people get sliced and diced in so many ways over the years that nothing scares me too much anymore.  My favorite decades were the 70's and 80's, but that's probably because that's when it was all new to me.  IMO, none of the movies I've seen in the last 10-20 years compare to the classics like The Exorcist, the original Nightmare on Elm Street, the Phantasm franchise, etc.  Oh well, I guess it's good that younger people are liking the movies that are available to them these days.  That's the way it should be.

The last decade has been pretty strong for horror imo. I think a lot of great movies are only kind of horror though.

Get Out

A Quiet Place

Ready or Not

Don't Breath

Cabin in the Woods

10 Cloverfield Lane

Those are all good/great movies listed on page 1 that you could make an argument aren't really horror. Btw, Us (2019) is one of the most overrated movies of the decade. Hereditary isn't a movie I'll ever watch again because it genuinely disturbed me but holy **** is that a well made film.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

Just now, Bullet Club said:

The last decade has been pretty strong for horror imo. I think a lot of great movies are only kind of horror though.

Get Out

A Quiet Place

Ready or Not

Don't Breath

Cabin in the Woods

10 Cloverfield Lane

Those are all good/great movies listed on page 1 that you could make an argument aren't really horror. Btw, Us (2019) is one of the most overrated movies of the decade.

Cabin in the Woods is definitely more comedy/satire than it is horror, but it's definitely horror.  A Quiet Place is in that sci fi thriller category for sure.  Get Out is definitely fringe.  It depends on how much you believe in hypnosis and brain transplant ability.  Ready or Not and Don't Breathe are definitely not horror.  10 Cloverfield Lane is also that sci fi thriller category. 

• Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Cabin in the Woods is definitely more comedy/satire than it is horror, but it's definitely horror.  A Quiet Place is in that sci fi thriller category for sure.  Get Out is definitely fringe.  It depends on how much you believe in hypnosis and brain transplant ability.  Ready or Not and Don't Breathe are definitely not horror.  10 Cloverfield Lane is also that sci fi thriller category. 

Tend to agree with you on all of these. I don't think there are all that many movies that follow a straight up classic horror design anymore but movies around/near that category have been excellent over the last few years.

iconic horror villains to come out of this decade?  Skarsgård pennywise(I think he's the clear cut top one), the family from Get out, the devil thing from insidious, Annabelle doll. Quiet place 2 is coming, so I can see those creatures becoming a bigger deal if that's another hit

Am I the only one that thought Insidious blew?

I watched it really stoned, which made the first half scary, but after that wore off (and especially once you saw the demon) it really fell off.

Ritual was pretty good.  I'll watch anything with Rafe Spall in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, August4th said:

iconic horror villains to come out of this decade?  Skarsgård pennywise(I think he's the clear cut top one), the family from Get out, the devil thing from insidious, Annabelle doll. Quiet place 2 is coming, so I can see those creatures becoming a bigger deal if that's another hit

That’s the problem with horror.  There are zero truly original iconic villains anymore.  Pennywise was already iconic.  A Quiet Place yeah, but... 

The last villain to come close to icon status was the Creeper from Jeepers Creepers.  

Hollywood is so busy trying to find the right way to bring Freddy / Jason / Chucky / Hellraiser into this century they forgot that what made those franchises were the iconic villains.  

Make new ones.   Duh duh.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

That’s the problem with horror.  There are zero truly original iconic villains anymore.  Pennywise was already iconic.  A Quiet Place yeah, but... 

The last villain to come close to icon status was the Creeper from Jeepers Creepers.  

Hollywood is so busy trying to find the right way to bring Freddy / Jason / Chucky / Hellraiser into this century they forgot that what made those franchises were the iconic villains.  

Make new ones.   Duh duh.

The animals from the Banana Split movie were wierd, but I guess they were controlled from someone else

'Let me In' is flat out awful compared to Let the Right One In' the original, just freaking awful and terrible in many ways.  Do yourself a favor, learn to read subtext in a foreign film and watch the good version.  Get Out was scary but only when that dude ran up to him outside, other than that it was pretty lame I thought but at least different.  A Quiet Place I thought sucked and the actual monster was straight up crap and no worth being scared about and not even well done or created.  Want to see a real scary movie that is not well know, Altered 2006 is freaking sweet and kicks A Quiet Places *** I feel, way better monster by the way in that of course.

As for this decade?  Wow why even think it, they are all pretty crap.  These all would be included in my book, Byzantium is not really scared but super cool and artistically well done, same with A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, one of the best movie sound tracks in awhile and is really badass.

It Follows 2014
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night 2014
The Witch 2015
The Purge 2013
Byzantium 2012
Happy Death Day 2017

Might be more suspense than horror but The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) and Prisoners (2013) are pretty damn freaking at certain parts, especially The Killing of the Sacred Deer.

Hereditary 2018

I have not seen it yet but looks pretty great, I got to check that one out.  Looks like an absolute must watch, might be better than most of these movies on this list but obviously is a crap decade for original unique horror.  Even the It remake I was not super impressed or scared by, lot of quick jerk scares and random pop up scares not real psychological thrills or scares with meaning.  

Edited by Ozzy

Just saw Hereditary today.  That without question is the scariest movie in the past decade.  If you are talking actual scares and a freaky *** movie, that is it.  In terms of a comparison A Quiet Place is like a damn kitty movie compared to Hereditary.  It was not even close the difference in fear level and straight out horror between the two.

Hereditary wins this, pretty good for Ari Aster and his first ever directed and written full length film.  The only negative is that it is so disturbing, so difficult to watch at times and so damn odd few will even want to rewatch the thing.  That could hurt it long and how it is remembered or not because people do not want to get freaked out by odd stuff usually and it is not like hey I want to go buy that for a movie collection or something.  Those final 20 minutes or so are crazy freaky, he might have over explained the end honestly though and could have cut some of that out but had to end it somehow.  But scary movies this past decade, Hereditary has it hands down in terms of the actual scariest.  

• Like 1

10.Evil Dead remake.  Not as campy as original but this one sticks with me 

9.  The Visit -  I shouldn't like this as much as I did 

8.  Oculus

7.You're Next - not sure if this is horror or just thriller 

6.  Scary stories to tell in the dark -  I think young me was just giddy to see this so it made it better 

5. A girl walks home at night  -  this was just crazy 

4  The Conjuring 

3.Get Out 

2.Cabin in the woods 

1.  It series

Let the right one in would make the list if it qualified 

Special note... I haven't seen many of the 2019 horror but I thought us was flat out stupid 

Second special note.  Saw hereditary with an ex and that burns the movie for me 

Edited by bcb1213