Report: Shohei Otani will be posted and play in the MLB next year

JammerHammer21

25 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Most money now for the M's. Dipoto isn't playing games.

You won't like this post but I don't think it's fair to interpret the M's as favorites just based off the money list. Dipoto has invested maybe $5M worth of assets into this money, realistically less.

If Ohtani is a $100M surplus value target, the math says 19:1 is the breakeven point on when that makes sense.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You won't like this post but I don't think it's fair to interpret the M's as favorites just based off the money list. Dipoto has invested maybe $5M worth of assets into this money, realistically less.

If Ohtani is a $100M surplus value target, the math says 19:1 is the breakeven point on when that makes sense.

I don't think the money is a main thing, either, but it obviously matters a little bit when as soon as two teams meet with him and his team and they start adding to what they can offer the very next day. 

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

I don't think the money is a main thing, either, but it obviously matters a little bit when as soon as two teams meet with him and his team and they start adding to what they can offer the very next day. 

Yeah for sure. I think the M's are way better than 19:1.

I just keep seeing people reading into it and ignoring the fact that acquiring space to sign him, even if you end up missing, is probably a good idea now because it comes so cheap relative to what you get on the back end. It's like an almost free lottery ticket.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I just keep seeing people reading into it and ignoring the fact that acquiring space to sign him, even if you end up missing, is probably a good idea now because it comes so cheap relative to what you get on the back end. It's like an almost free lottery ticket.

I'm just glad we got actual value in return for the slot money/prospects. If Dee Gordon can actually be an above average CF'er (which he probably should be able to with his speed and athleticism) he's going to easily outplay the worth of his contract.

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Tbf most lottery tickets are almost free

Archived