Report: Shohei Otani will be posted and play in the MLB next year

JammerHammer21

I'm very surpised given how much money he is leaving on the table. But if he wants to pitch in the MLB right now, the heart wants what it wants, I guess.

I'd say the Dodgers are front runners, but the Sox and Yankees are definitely extremely interested. He's going to be an absolute steal thanks to the new CBA.

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I'm very surpised given how much money he is leaving on the table. But if he wants to pitch in the MLB right now, the heart wants what it wants, I guess.

I'd say the Dodgers are front runners, but the Sox and Yankees are definitely extremely interested. He's going to be an absolute steal thanks to the new CBA.

I wonder how much he will be leaving on the table. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some wink wink for him to get a big contract soon rather than go through pre-arb and arb years on 1 year deals.

46 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I wonder how much he will be leaving on the table. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some wink wink for him to get a big contract soon rather than go through pre-arb and arb years on 1 year deals.

Pretty sure the MLB has told teams that this won't be allowed to happen

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

And then it will happen and the league will go "aw shucks" and dock them some bonus money.

This.  All the "creative" teams have already started talking to his representatives about ways to skirt around the bonus restrictions.  They give exactly zero ****s about the penalties that MLB will levy.  

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

And a team would hold their word if he blew his arm out in year 1? I doubt it.

Tbh there is a very simple, fair way to fix the bonus pool crap. Allow teams to sign one guy to an exception every year - or every two years or whatever - but that player has to stay on the MLB roster for a full year afterwards or there are huge financial penalties.  That way you can make the market for prospects fair without completely screwing over fully developed superstars like Otani who deserve to make hundreds of million.  

2 hours ago, coors said:

Is he the real deal?

Yes. 100% yes.

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Tbh there is a very simple, fair way to fix the bonus pool crap. Allow teams to sign one guy to an exception every year - or every two years or whatever - but that player has to stay on the MLB roster for a full year afterwards or there are huge financial penalties.  That way you can make the market for prospects fair without completely screwing over fully developed superstars like Otani who deserve to make hundreds of million.

Was it really "unfair"? Besides the Dodgers, who are printing money and don't count, the Padres were the team that blew the bonus pool open. The Rays have gotten the number one prospect a few times in the last few years. 

I think it has more to do with whether you have an ownership group committed to investing in guys who won't make returns for 5+ years than your market size. The Orioles are the cheapest team in LA, and rank 10th in payroll this season (closer to 5th than 15th too).

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yes. 100% yes.

Was it really "unfair"? Besides the Dodgers, who are printing money and don't count, the Padres were the team that blew the bonus pool open. The Rays have gotten the number one prospect a few times in the last few years. 

I think it has more to do with whether you have an ownership group committed to investing in guys who won't make returns for 5+ years than your market size. The Orioles are the cheapest team in LA, and rank 10th in payroll this season (closer to 5th than 15th too).

Did the Padres do it before the Yankees spent like $30 million (and yet passed on Moncada)?

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Although I think it has more to do with owners and vets wanting a bigger share of the pie rather than actually caring about competitive balance, there is probably a fair case for why there has to be some limits.  A team like the Dodgers or Yankees can afford to blow seven figure bonuses on a bunch of players every year and they'll be fine.  It may not have been a huge problem in the past, but teams are catching on. 

The current system is obvi messed up though.

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

So essentially fix it to benefit the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs and Dodgers. Every year the exception player will be a high ceiling to potential super star caliber player.

I honestly have no problems with the current system. I love the parody 

1 minute ago, BillsGuy82 said:

So essentially fix it to benefit the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs and Dodgers. Every year the exception player will be a high ceiling to potential super star player.

I honestly have no problems with the current system. I love the parody 

Its just ridiculous that a guy like Otani, whose been playing professional baseball for 5 years and is just as good as any free agent in MLB, is eligible for a small fraction of what a comparable American player would get.

Why should he be any different than Bryce Harper?

Archived