Report: Shohei Otani will be posted and play in the MLB next year

JammerHammer21

33 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Did the Padres do it before the Yankees spent like $30 million (and yet passed on Moncada)?

No, they didn't. Looking overall at the international market, the large market teams were the trendsetters, no question. The Yankees lost their ability to just throw money in the draft like crazy (by the way, the Pirates history in the draft is another case where small market teams can spend what look like big dollars on amateurs), so they were kind of playing with house money.

Then other teams realized that was a good use of funds even with the tax, and more small market teams were going over the limit or acquiring more space.

That's not to say the system was perfect. I just don't think it was that broken. 

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No, they didn't. Looking overall at the international market, the large market teams were the trendsetters, no question. The Yankees lost their ability to just throw money in the draft like crazy (by the way, the Pirates history in the draft is another case where small market teams can spend what look like big dollars on amateurs), so they were kind of playing with house money.

Then other teams realized that was a good use of funds even with the tax, and more small market teams were going over the limit or acquiring more space.

That's not to say the system was perfect. I just don't think it was that broken. 

Yeah I mean there has to be a balance. 

Shohei Otani should be different from some 16 year old kid though.  Much lower risk, the risk-reward analysis for a mid-market team is much closer to the Yankees and Dodgers than it is spending $5M on your average kid from the DR.

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Yeah I mean there has to be a balance. 

Shohei Otani should be different from some 16 year old kid though.  Much lower risk, the risk-reward analysis for a mid-market team is much closer to the Yankees and Dodgers than it is spending $5M on your average kid from the DR.

The risk-reward part is interesting, because if the pools were completely gone and you gave me $120M of the Brewers' payroll to spend, I'd be going something like $80M major league $40M amateur.

The risk is high in that each kid might bust, but the cost of most kids are low, the reward is huge, and $4M/year buys you a bench bat nowadays in free agency. Likewise, the Dodgers can afford to whiff on Andre Ethier, the Brewers absolutely can't, so any free agent is going to have to be super low risk, which means we either pay through the nose or we get a flea.

9 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Have you heard from anyone in baseball as to how the hell the MLBPA signed off on the CBA? I still don't get it.

Because they don't give a rip about anyone that isn't actually in the union yet.  The MLBPA will sell out the amateurs 100 times out of a 100 to get extra snacks on the post game buffet or other minor crap like that.  A hard slotted (high and low) international draft would both help the worst teams get the best talent and fix the amount of spending that the owners like.  Take all the international pools now and make that the league wide spending for the international draft and increase it at a rate consistent with the increases in the Rule 4 draft.

3 hours ago, BladeKor said:

You never know with these Japanese players, you either get something great like Ichiro Suzuki, or you end up with another Daisuke Matsuzaka.

I mean the guy is a giant, throws 100 mph, can hit a baseball 400 feet and run a 4.3 40. 

Daisuke was just a some little guy with a funny pitch.

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Because they don't give a rip about anyone that isn't actually in the union yet.  The MLBPA will sell out the amateurs 100 times out of a 100 to get extra snacks on the post game buffet or other minor crap like that.  A hard slotted (high and low) international draft would both help the worst teams get the best talent and fix the amount of spending that the owners like.  Take all the international pools now and make that the league wide spending for the international draft and increase it at a rate consistent with the increases in the Rule 4 draft.

The part that makes no sense is that the players basically gave away a salary cap with how harsh the luxury tax is and the increase in the luxury threshold is going to go up slower than inflation. Would have understood it tax penalties didn't show up until $240-250M or something like that, but they didn't even sell them out. They gave them away.

Archived