It's hard decision but I believe the Chargers need to move on from Phillip Rivers this off-season

Chargers

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

As a Chiefs fan, I come in peace!

Good for Rivers for speaking out. It needs to be said and hopefully some positive change can come from it.

If I were your GM, I would try to trade Rivers for a mid round pick (escalating for Championship/Superbowl appearance) to a potential contender (Colts, Bears, Titans, etc). I'm playing Tyrod Taylor or a mid-late round 2020 QB. In the draft. Then, I'm taking OL in the first and maybe second, then focusing on gaining more picks for 2021 to try and get Lawrence. I'd try trading injury prone guys such as Allen, Pouncey, and Okung. Guys such as Bosa and Ward I would consider to be untouchable. However, if a Khalil Mack type trade is offered, I take it and run. As good as Bosa is, you haven't been winning with him. If you're smart and don't have glaring/reaching needs, trade those firsts for even more picks.

The Chargers don't need a full on rebuild but there needs to be a year or two of resetting and building for the future and not just today.

I don't know if he has a no-trade clause, but he'd need to be tagged in order to be traded and no team is going to trade for him without an extension in place - and I don't believe he's amenable to leaving Southern California (he's been adamant in the past that he's not relocating his family from their Santaluz home (it's northern SD county, one of his best friends - Padres pitcher Jake Peavy - lives in the same housing development).  Legitimately, it looks like it's re-up with the Chargers or retire for Rivers.

• Like 1

The first thing this team needs to decide is whether or not it’s closer to the 2018 playoff team or this 2019 team. If the feeling is the 2018 team, then you re-up Rivers or other vet QB (Cam Newton, Bridgewater, Alex Smith, Andy Dalton etc) and attempt to fix the oline through the draft, free agency, trade it whatever.  Maybe even give Gordon a four year deal and sign Ekeler.  Take another run at so with this core group

If it’s thought to be closer to this 2019 group then all bets are off.  Let Rivers and Gordon  walk, I’m looking to trade vet players and that includes Keenan, Casey, Ingram.  I’m walking away from Okung, Mebane, Thomas Davis, Travis Benjamin etc.  if a Khalil Mack trade is out there, I’m considering and taking it for Bosa. I acquire assets sorta like Miami, and I start hunting for Lawrence or maybe, Fields in the 2022 draft.  

53 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I don't know if he has a no-trade clause, but he'd need to be tagged in order to be traded and no team is going to trade for him without an extension in place - and I don't believe he's amenable to leaving Southern California (he's been adamant in the past that he's not relocating his family from their Santaluz home (it's northern SD county, one of his best friends - Padres pitcher Jake Peavy - lives in the same housing development).  Legitimately, it looks like it's re-up with the Chargers or retire for Rivers.

True, I didn't consider that. However for the right price and team, I would think he'd consider renting an apartment for a year.

With his family situation i would retire if I were Rivers. But there's only so many years of getting paid 15+ million per year, so he may want to earn another contract.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Xenos said:

Just means that he'll be tagged now.

I highly doubt we tag him. We don’t need to pay him that kind of money. If Rivers wants to come back and is willing to take the money he’s offered then he plays for us. He has spoken out about he won’t be playing anywhere else already and I’ve got no reason to doubt his word. The big question for me is Spanos going to make an offer after the comment Rivers made? Rivers basically admitted the blunder Spanos made moving the team. He’s always been a company mouthpiece and that one comment was far out of the norm.

It will be an interesting offseason to see if both sides want to rekindle the relationship for 2020. Rivers may even wait until later in free agency to see why moves the Chargers make to either contend or go full dumpster fire. 

Rivers gives us the best chance to compete & sell tickets. Spanos desperately needs to do the second so he may make Rivers a lucrative offer. He has shown though in the past he will act spitefully and maybe he forces a Rivers retirement this season. 

Rivers has made plenty of money and I’m sure has already set his family up for their future but I’m sure he would love to keep up with the charitable contributions he has made to his church on his current salary. Then again he could be sick of the grind, the commute, playing 16 road games, dealing with Spanos and just want to stay home and be Dad. Suspense for Chargers fans.

We need to resign Bosa as well. That’s going to be a bank breaker. 

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

I highly doubt we tag him. We don’t need to pay him that kind of money. If Rivers wants to come back and is willing to take the money he’s offered then he plays for us. He has spoken out about he won’t be playing anywhere else already and I’ve got no reason to doubt his word. The big question for me is Spanos going to make an offer after the comment Rivers made? Rivers basically admitted the blunder Spanos made moving the team. He’s always been a company mouthpiece and that one comment was far out of the norm.

It will be an interesting offseason to see if both sides want to rekindle the relationship for 2020. Rivers may even wait until later in free agency to see why moves the Chargers make to either contend or go full dumpster fire. 

Rivers gives us the best chance to compete & sell tickets. Spanos desperately needs to do the second so he may make Rivers a lucrative offer. He has shown though in the past he will act spitefully and maybe he forces a Rivers retirement this season. 

Rivers has made plenty of money and I’m sure has already set his family up for their future but I’m sure he would love to keep up with the charitable contributions he has made to his church on his current salary. Then again he could be sick of the grind, the commute, playing 16 road games, dealing with Spanos and just want to stay home and be Dad. Suspense for Chargers fans.

We need to resign Bosa as well. That’s going to be a bank breaker. 

What issues in the past with regards to players  has shown Dean being spiteful? He was so hands off that when I think of spiteful, I think of AJ Smith primarily.

There's a handful of players that will require new contracts this offseason. Bosa and Rivers as you already mentioned but also Hunter Henry, Ekeler, Adrian Philips, and Desmond King. We'll cut Perryman, Mebane, and Davis to make some room. Maybe Pouncey and Okung will both retire. It'll be the most interesting offseason in a while that's for sure.

15 hours ago, The LBC said:

Agree with the last part. Though part of me does want him to get a chance at a ring somewhere else. The only two teams that I can think of is the Colts and the Saints (assuming Brees retires) due to their OL and offensive coaches.

19 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

True, I didn't consider that. However for the right price and team, I would think he'd consider renting an apartment for a year.

With his family situation i would retire if I were Rivers. But there's only so many years of getting paid 15+ million per year, so he may want to earn another contract.

The man has 9 kids.  He's not leaving his wife alone to handle the brood (the majority of which are 10 or younger) and they're not moving a clan that size into an "apartment."  If there were a team in Alabama (where they're both from), then maybe... maybe he might consider that, but Phil's an odd duck - in the grand scheme of things, winning a title versus spending time with his family just doesn't stack up in terms of importance.  He's been commuting from San Diego County to LA for the past couple seasons because he refuses to move the family.

I went to the Chargers v Titans game this year in Nashville.  Sat two rows behind the Rivers family - fairly large contingent I’m assuming from Alabama.  I could see that appealing to him, he seems like the type of guy that would consider going home to be closer to family.  That’s about the only other fit I could see

If the team wanted to take a chance on a guy with more upside than Stick to see if he can develop on an accelerated schedule, even if that were low-probability, like a Montez or Eason (if he fell far enough, though I don't know that he will), while keeping from investing so highly in him that he'd not be easily discard-able in 2020 if the opportunity at a clear upgrade to both he and Taylor (this assumes Rivers doesn't extend and Taylor is left to start), it wouldn't be the worst idea.  Those types of players still have some trade value at later dates to be able to recoup something.

3 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Don’t care for any of the QB’s in this class (Tua if healthy) and that includes Burrow.  Would love, and I know this won’t happen, to trade back in this draft and start aquiring assets to take a run at Lawrence or Fields in the 2021 draft.  

I don't think the team will be bad enough next year for get us a top pick. It's more likely Lynn and Co. take a OL(Thomas, Wrifs,) and invest in a veteran(Scherff, Conklin, Thuney) in free agency and make a push for a wild card. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Classic said:

I don't think the team will be bad enough next year for get us a top pick. It's more likely Lynn and Co. take a OL(Thomas, Wrifs,) and invest in a veteran(Scherff, Conklin, Thuney) in free agency and make a push for a wild card. 

At the rate that this team gets injured, anything's possible.  Realistically the defense should reverse some of the regression in the generating turnovers department this year, but if that's not enough, especially if there's no Rivers (locker room presence here, specifically), I don't know that I see it in Lynn and the current coaches to be the kind that can dig the team out of a large hole.

That said, I think Lawrence may be a special enough prospect that certain teams who have older (not elderly, but mid/late prime) franchise QB's might actually opt to take 5 years of him on the cheap if they thought they could get out from under the current deal they had their QB on.  I could see Detroit being willing to part with Stafford to go with Lawrence (and they could certainly be  in the hunt for that #1 next year).  Truth be told, with a solid OL, the receiving options the team has right now, and a above-average defense, I think the Chargers could be competitive with Nick Foles at QB under the right coaching staff.  But Foles is getting up there.  This team with Stafford (pipe dream, honestly, because of how many things would have to line up) could be scary, because it could give him potential for the three things he's lacked pretty much his entire career: A dependable OL (obviously would be a work in heavy progress currently), a viable rushing attack, and a defense that can pick up the slack when he has off-games.

17 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Well we moved up one spot to six.  Burrow and Chase will be gone.  The next four for me are Okudah, Thomas, Simmons, Wirfs (I don’t think we go WR so I left out Jeudy).  Would we go for Tua there if he’s available? 

I think a lot of it depends on how they feel about Tua's health, if Rivers comes back or they roll with Taylor, and if they become enamored with some other QB like Love that they feel they can get in the 2nd or possibly trade up at the end of the 1st to snag for the 5th year option like the Ravens did for Jackson. 

I think Wirfs is the safest bet at this point from what I've seen, then maybe trade back into the 1st for someone like Love if he falls. Corner is a definite need too but I'm not sure how much they are willing to invest with other large needs. 

Its going to be an interesting offseason that is for sure. 

• Like 1