It's hard decision but I believe the Chargers need to move on from Phillip Rivers this off-season

Chargers

18 minutes ago, Classic said:

That might be true any other off-season but not a critical one like this. If you look at the free agent pool this off-season you'll see quite a few note worthy OL. Conklin, Williams, etc.

They may not work out but we do have some cap opening up and he needs to be a big player in F.A this year. It's not like he can pretend were a contender that can get players on the cheap. 

I also think Herbert isn't the media plugging in a QB name at 6. He has all checkmarks of a Telesco QB. 4 year starter, well liked among teammates, stats improved every year and generally healthy. He is also a Oregon Duck and the last time the Chargers front office even had sniffing at QB they took their Owner to go see Mariota. 

Yes, there is some cap opening up, but that's because 1) the QB's contract is off the books and that's going to have to be accounted for somehow and 2) they're going to, at minimum, throw a premier offer at Bosa (for both logistical reasons - being able, if he signs, to have an extra year to prorate the signing bonus monies over or knowing what they're dealing with if it comes to necessary to trade him because he has no intention of extending).  In fact, I'd expect that to likely be something that's dealt with prior to even considering drafting a rookie QB this year because the push will be on at that point to get a Mack-esque return on him and the acquisition of a franchise QB probably the only instance where you really feel justified in trading away a premier pass-rusher.  You don't necessarily want to see it, but (and I wouldn't particularly love doing the deal with a target of a prospect with numerous injury issues in the past to his record, but still...) Bosa alone could be the makeweight to preclude having to give up any picks in a trade-up with Detroit (who probably covet Chase Young but won't get him).  Or, if a trade goes down later and ends up having to happen, Bosa could net some serious assets to assure that Lawrence or Fields end up a Charger.

Barring getting someone of the caliber of Pouncey, when he was acquired, at a similar rate and length of time, I have trouble seeing logic in investing sizable money in the RT or guard position (and, if we're realistic, they're not just going to up and give up on Pipkins on a whim after investing a 3rd just last year on him - reach or not).  I'd bet dollars to donuts that Trent Williams is franchised.  He might Le'Veon it - justifiably so - but I wouldn't want to bank on acquiring him.  You guys pick high enough in the round order that even if OT is put off till R2, there should still be quality prospects available barring an absurd run (Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, and 1-2 others among Becton, Jones, and Jackson probably go Rd 1 because outside of Biadasz the interior line class lacks true creme de la creme, but the 1-2 of the 3 later that doesn't go, plus Niang, Tega Wanogo, Peart, and Steele should all still be there for certain).

With Rivers gone, even with the potential of the defense, the window is largely closed.  A standout defense and middling-until-proven-otherwise offense basically puts the Chargers in the same boat as Buffalo (whose offense has more upside presently), Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and likely the Titans: A wild card contender, but one that even if they make the playoffs is far more likely to eventually suffer at the hands of their shortcomings against a more complete team and end up falling short.

The more i think about it the more it makes sense that we’re going to do what it takes to get the 3 pick and grab Tua. They just moved to LA, and they want someone who can get them big time viewership. Tua brings a good chunk of the Hawaiian/Poly fan base with him and will butts in seats/get views. They want to move on from Rivers and they’re in a prime position to do so, and I think they want to make a big splash rather than elect for the gamble in Herbert. 

I think this is a Spanos play all the way to make the team more attractive profit wise. 

On 1/21/2020 at 6:17 AM, Duffman57 said:

The more i think about it the more it makes sense that we’re going to do what it takes to get the 3 pick and grab Tua. They just moved to LA, and they want someone who can get them big time viewership. Tua brings a good chunk of the Hawaiian/Poly fan base with him and will butts in seats/get views. They want to move on from Rivers and they’re in a prime position to do so, and I think they want to make a big splash rather than elect for the gamble in Herbert. 

I think this is a Spanos play all the way to make the team more attractive profit wise. 

3 or 4, but realistically if you want him, you go to 3 for him.  It could be done without having to give up a 2020 1st primarily because the Chargers would be able to include #6 and position Detroit still ahead of the suitors for virtually all the guys they would be targeting not named Chase Young.  Gettleman's old school - he's going premium position and that's very likely whichever OT he ranks the highest (because it's Gettleman there's no way of telling that, that's the caveat); the only guy Detroit could be after the Giants would be a threat to take is Okudah.  And ultimately, I wouldn't be shocked, depending on how much pull Patricia has, if Simmons was a darkhorse target for them because of how big a role high football IQ LB's with major versatility have played in that defensive scheme in the past (Jerod Mayo ring any bells?  And he was taken Top 10).

I would legit be angry if the chargers took Herbert. This team needs to start fixing the offensive line. With premium picks in each round, they need to hit some. 

I would honestly love to see OT, CB, OG 

Guard shouldn’t even be a position in need but it’s clear Lamp should be shot.

I’d be ok with Tua or Love but I just don’t think Herbert fits in LA.  His personality is more suited for a small market team like maybe Indianapolis.  I think we could trade back up into the first for a tackle if one fell or stand pat in the 2nd for Tega Wonagho, Jackson, Bartch, Jones...etc.  Or possibly spend some money on a tackle in free agency and go IOL in the middle rounds.  Plenty of ways to shore up the holes.  I agree the Oline is a mess, but if a franchise QB is there at your top ten pick, that need/position trumps everything else

On 1/20/2020 at 12:50 PM, The LBC said:

I just posted in a thread in NFL Gen that I'd put higher probability on the Chargers trying (I'm less confident they're successful because Detroit actually has a competent GM) to trade up above Miami to go after Tua.  Part of that is because they have the luxury of bridging with Tyrod for a year (probably wouldn't last that long, but who knows... would probably depend on how much success out the gate they have).  Part of that is that I don't think Herbert moves the needle in terms of expected marketability in the LA market.  Definitely a higher probability than that they bring in a veteran that would usurp Tyrod (via free agency for sure, and - barring some very specific names, who aren't likely attainable - trade as well).

Telesco isn't the type to go after big ticket free agents anyway, no matter how much the media bandies the Chargers about as a possible option for a free agent.  Casey Heyward is probably the biggest name and they caught him on a relative deal after the market seemed to forget about it, so I tend to consider that more exception than rule.

I think you're confusing Telesco with the other TT (Ted Thompson). Telesco does go after big name free agents. The problem is that outside of Okung and Pouncey (who looked like short term fixes anyways), they were all spectacular failures. Starting with Derek Cox his first year, then Orlando Franklin, Travis Benjamin, etc. Telesco's best FA signings have been his more under the radar ones like Danny Woodhead, Matt Slauson (for a year), the aforementioned Casey Hayward, etc.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

On 2020-01-23 at 11:23 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

I’d be ok with Tua or Love but I just don’t think Herbert fits in LA.  His personality is more suited for a small market team like maybe Indianapolis.  I think we could trade back up into the first for a tackle if one fell or stand pat in the 2nd for Tega Wonagho, Jackson, Bartch, Jones...etc.  Or possibly spend some money on a tackle in free agency and go IOL in the middle rounds.  Plenty of ways to shore up the holes.  I agree the Oline is a mess, but if a franchise QB is there at your top ten pick, that need/position trumps everything else

I get what your saying about a QB, but is anyone in the draft better than say a teddy Bridgewater? Or even next years draft? 5 out of the top 15 teams in the league don’t have a 1st round QB, would Fromm in the 3rd be such a bad thing? all of the elite teams have good to great offensive lines, would personally like to see that built first.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:40 PM, Xenos said:

I think you're confusing Telesco with the other TT (Ted Thompson). Telesco does go after big name free agents. The problem is that outside of Okung and Pouncey (who looked like short term fixes anyways), they were all spectacular failures. Starting with Derek Cox his first year, then Orlando Franklin, Travis Benjamin, etc. Telesco's best FA signings have been his more under the radar ones like Danny Woodhead, Matt Slauson (for a year), the aforementioned Casey Hayward, etc.

I think because people take out of context how bad the Cox deal was. He only had a 5m dollar hit (though it was a 4 year deal).  At that point we had a FB(LeRon McClain) that had a bigger cap hit then him in his first year.  I'm not sure what happened with Franklin but it seemed like there was no accountability on that team to work hard.  We had multiple players flop after getting a big contract then (Butler, Franklin, and even Gaither despite back problems being a hell of a lot to deal with). That screams team culture problems to me.  Lynn has seemed to fix that.  

Reports coming in that the Chargers have moved on from Philip Rivers.  Not surprising at all.  Looking to the draft, I think people are prematurely ruling out the Lions as players for QB in the draft. Stafford has an injury history and they might be willing to trade him (I haven’t read this, just a thought).  They should at least feign interest in the QB’s, they could probably dupe us into overpaying to move up

On 1/27/2020 at 5:40 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

Reports coming in that the Chargers have moved on from Philip Rivers.  Not surprising at all.  Looking to the draft, I think people are prematurely ruling out the Lions as players for QB in the draft. Stafford has an injury history and they might be willing to trade him (I haven’t read this, just a thought).  They should at least feign interest in the QB’s, they could probably dupe us into overpaying to move up

Speaking of the Lions, Stafford had a good season if you look at his PFF grades. I wonder what it would take to trade for him. I think with better team and good strong run game we could contend with him sooner than a rookie QB.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 4:48 AM, BoltsFan937 said:

Anyone have an interest in Cam Newton?  Assuming he’s healthy, seems like Cam and LA would be a perfect marriage.  Any ideas on the compensation for a trade like that? I’m assuming Carolina would get a 1st and a 2nd or something like that.  

Hard pass from me. I live in North Carolina and have seen way too much of Cam. I can't stand his diva personality and think he is a vastly overrated player.

Guy has a careers sub 60% completion ratio, averages 3500yds passing a year, higher career INT% than Rivers (who people are blaming the season on because of INTs) which includes him having more INTs than Rivers over their last 3 years played, lower career TD%, and has only played 16 games in 2 of the last 6 years. 

I just don't see the benefit of using the draft capital that is rumored to be needed for a soon to be 31yo QB coming off of major injury who has a large contract and definitely isn't an upgrade over what we had nor would it be building for the future. I think you roll the dice on a rookie or even just roll with Taylor for this year then draft someone next year. I honestly wouldn't be completely against them calling the Bengals and selling the farm for the #1 pick either assuming that's even possible. 

• Like 1

I just don’t see this front office considering a rebuild. I think they believe (as evidenced by lack of trades at the deadline) this team is close to contention.  We might draft a young QB, but it’s gonna be with the intention of developing him.  Also, considering the fact that our fan base is non existent in LA, they’re gonna want to hit the ground running (I.e winning).  Cam’s a flashy guy with prior success and a marquee name to draw fans.  It makes a lot of sense to me.