It's hard decision but I believe the Chargers need to move on from Phillip Rivers this off-season

Chargers

27 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I just don’t see this front office considering a rebuild. I think they believe (as evidenced by lack of trades at the deadline) this team is close to contention.  We might draft a young QB, but it’s gonna be with the intention of developing him.  Also, considering the fact that our fan base is non existent in LA, they’re gonna want to hit the ground running (I.e winning).  Cam’s a flashy guy with prior success and a marquee name to draw fans.  It makes a lot of sense to me.  

I like Cam, tbh, but I don’t like spending draft capital to bring him in. I would prefer teddy and maybe Fromm Or hurts in the 3rd or 4th after we go OT and CB with our first two picks (either order).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

There it is, the death cry. The San Diego Chargers are officially no more. 

I think the writings been on the wall for Rivers for awhile now.  I never bought into Rivers being an Anthony Lynn type QB.  I think Lynn’s wanted a mobile QB since day one (Brought in Cardale, Tyrod and drafted Stick).  At least someone that could change the launch point and move the pocket.  

On another note, we’ll get killed for how we treated Rivers 🙄 and how classy the Giants were with Eli. Whatever, we didn’t bench him last year and use him only in emergencies this year like the Giants. We let Rivers play out the string, when honestly we probably should have given Tyrod a start or two to see what he had

I agree, they had some bad breakups with loved players in the past but they didn't do anything wrong here. I think both sides knew it was time to move on and knew for a while. The announcement was classy and I still think Rivers was looking for one last run.

It was fairly obvious from the start that Lynn wasn't a big fan of 17, they always seemed to butt heads. I agree he wants a much more mobile QB, another reason I've said before that I kind of expect them to draft Hurts.

Its going to be odd going into this year not knowing who the QB will be for the first time in 15+ years. I'm sad this day had to come but intrigued by what the future may hold. I'm a Chargers fan for life, but I'll always be a Rivers fan no matter what he does or where he goes. 

• Like 1

I’ll always be a Chargers fan and a fan of Philip Rivers, he’s one of my all time favorite Chargers. I wish we could have won one with him. That being said, I’m looking forward to what the future holds at QB for us.  For the first time in forever, I’ll actually be scouting the QB class hard in this draft.  I still think we’ll trade for a vet, but you never know 

Here’s the existing money line for the week 1 starter. Eli is 500-1 odds 😂

Tyrod Taylor3-2

Justin Herbert5-1

Tua Tagovailoa6-1

Tom Brady6-1

Teddy Bridgewater6-1

Marcus Mariota12-1

Jameis Winston12-1

Jordan Love16-1

Andy Dalton18-1

Jake Fromm18-1

Ryan Tannehill25-1

• Like 1

If Tua keeps getting positive feedback on his hip fracture (and that’s what it looks like so far), there’s gonna be a bidding war to get to that 2 or 3 spot in the draft.  I would assume all of those teams (minus the Bengals) would be open to offers.  Wonder how much it would cost to get up there, particularly the ‘skins pick, because they would in essence be passing on Chase Young as well

1 hour ago, Zappaz said:

I say let other teams fight for Tua... draft Love and use Taylor next years as a development year for Love. Spend some cash on OL. Draft some OL, WR, CB, and a bruiser RB.

I agree, I’m just worried that we’ll overspend either in trade, or FA or the draft. I really think we’re gonna try to make a splash to try and create some excitement around our team. The front office has to be thinking we can’t go 4-12 next year and expect to start building a fan base.  

23 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I agree, I’m just worried that we’ll overspend either in trade, or FA or the draft. I really think we’re gonna try to make a splash to try and create some excitement around our team. The front office has to be thinking we can’t go 4-12 next year and expect to start building a fan base.  

I wouldn't be opposed to going crazy in on the #1 pick for Burrow... assuming he is as good as advertised then losing some draft capital over the next few years could be offset by having a good QB on a cheap contract for 5 years allowing for us to resign our young studs and work FA some. That would spark some interest in LA which is something Deano would love and still put us in a decent spot down the road. 

3 hours ago, Zappaz said:

I wouldn't be opposed to going crazy in on the #1 pick for Burrow... assuming he is as good as advertised then losing some draft capital over the next few years could be offset by having a good QB on a cheap contract for 5 years allowing for us to resign our young studs and work FA some. That would spark some interest in LA which is something Deano would love and still put us in a decent spot down the road. 

I would too, and if it were any other team than the Bengals, maybe we’d have a chance.  The Bengals aren’t trading that pick, no way unless Burrow flat out refuses to play for them.  Even then, we’re out, because he’s not gonna refuse to play for Cincinnati to force his way to the Chargers. As much as I hate to say that, we’re as dysfunctional of an organization as they are. 

On 2020-02-13 at 1:12 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

This time of the year cracks me up.  “Chargers looking for mobile QB to move the pocket and change the launch point”...also “Chargers expected to be heavily involved for Tom Brady”. Lol

I guess they can’t come out and just say,”anyone but rivers”. Lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Felt this was the most appropriate place to leave this funny tweet. I mean Rivers spoke out in the finale about the move being a mistake and now Spanos has shown him the door. No sign of us having a home field anytime soon. Good work Spanos.