It's hard decision but I believe the Chargers need to move on from Phillip Rivers this off-season

Chargers

I think one thing to maybe consider is we didn’t have a fire sale at the trade deadline. If you’re reading into that, then you would think the front office believes we’re closer to competing than rebuilding.  We’re in a good position I think at 6 to trade back if we want. If a Jeff Okudah or Simmons is there I could see someone trading up. And it’s not a bad idea for us especially if we believe in Pipkins then we need a right tackle and could move back a little for Wills. If Pipkins works out, draft Witfs or Wills and pick up a free agent like a Joe Thuney, our oline could be completely different. 

12 hours ago, Zappaz said:

I think a lot of it depends on how they feel about Tua's health, if Rivers comes back or they roll with Taylor, and if they become enamored with some other QB like Love that they feel they can get in the 2nd or possibly trade up at the end of the 1st to snag for the 5th year option like the Ravens did for Jackson. 

I think Wirfs is the safest bet at this point from what I've seen, then maybe trade back into the 1st for someone like Love if he falls. Corner is a definite need too but I'm not sure how much they are willing to invest with other large needs. 

Its going to be an interesting offseason that is for sure. 

Telesco isn't trading back; when has he ever?  I'm convinced the guy gets gunshy that the players he likes may not be there if he trades back.

At this point, I don't see any way that based off his generally predictable manner that he approached 1st round picks QB and OL aren't the two main areas in which he addresses in the 1st; and QB only if Rivers doesn't extend (if he does, they're not taking a successor in the 1st).  Those were the two biggest fallbacks of thise past season's team.  Based off my understanding of Telesco, the short list for that pick is likely (no specific order): Burrow, Tua, Thomas, Wirfs, other OT (there are others who may or may not be worth the pick, but I wouldn't rule out him overdrafting if somehow something happens to Thomas or Wirfs off-field or injury-wise; or somehow all of them go before the pick - which won't happen because "Young").  TT isn't taking Simmons a year removed from taking Tillery (especially when Justin Jones outproduced Tillery on the season) and Dylan Moses (who would have been legitimately the only other dark horse I would have thought plausible) just announced he's returning to Bama for 2020.

With Gordon gone I fully expect us to go RB in the first. I don’t think Telesco has the job security to not listen to John tell him they need a new LDT. Hell we might even trade our second to move up a bit to guarantee we reach on the top RB in the draft. Oh it’s a RB poor class? That doesn’t matter. We have faith in our two tackles Pipsqueek and Trashbag so no need to spend anything there. Pipsqueek really showed something the last game of the season. QuestionableAlphabet did fine at center so We’re good and Feeney/Lamp are finally going to put it together and be those dominant guards for us. We’ll bring in some UDFA and perhaps draft a 5th round developmental guy that due to injury will be forced out onto the field. 

Hunter will probably be gone as we’re not going to be able to afford his talent after resigning Bosa to the largest defensive contract ever. So TE becomes a need. Probably in the 4th round or so. 3rd round pick will be a safety/corner because Gus needs his hybrid guys to make the system work. No second round pick because of the trade up. Pretty much how I see it going right now. 

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Telesco isn't trading back; when has he ever?  I'm convinced the guy gets gunshy that the players he likes may not be there if he trades back.

Na, I meant using our 1st on someone like Wirfs then packaging our 2nd plus some to trade back into the end of the 1st round to lock up a QB for 5 years. I agree that TT isn't the trade down guy but he will trade up if he thinks a player at a position of need will be gone. I'd be willing to bet that a QB is selected in the 1st no matter what Rivers does (and I think Rivers signs elsewhere atm).

6 hours ago, The LBC said:

At this point, I don't see any way that based off his generally predictable manner that he approached 1st round picks QB and OL aren't the two main areas in which he addresses in the 1st; and QB only if Rivers doesn't extend (if he does, they're not taking a successor in the 1st).  Those were the two biggest fallbacks of thise past season's team.  Based off my understanding of Telesco, the short list for that pick is likely (no specific order): Burrow, Tua, Thomas, Wirfs, other OT (there are others who may or may not be worth the pick, but I wouldn't rule out him overdrafting if somehow something happens to Thomas or Wirfs off-field or injury-wise; or somehow all of them go before the pick - which won't happen because "Young").  TT isn't taking Simmons a year removed from taking Tillery (especially when Justin Jones outproduced Tillery on the season) and Dylan Moses (who would have been legitimately the only other dark horse I would have thought plausible) just announced he's returning to Bama for 2020.

What does Simmons have to do with Tillery? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 11:23 PM, BoltsFan937 said:

Anyone wanna talk draft? I really like The tackles at the top of this class- Thomas, Wirfs and Wills. I’d be happy with any one of those guys. I’m a huge Isaiah Simmons fan, but we have to fix this o line first 

OTs Mekhi Beckton and Trey Adams could both be tremendous football players, as well. Adams has major injury red flags, but he's been a stud for most of his career at Washington. Beckton is a massive tackle who did a surprisingly good job of handling speed rushers this year, and he has the strength the Stonewall power guys, as well. He has really good movement skills for his size. He could sneak into the top half of the first round IMO.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 12:47 AM, BoltsFan937 said:

Iiving in the Midwest, I don’t get to watch much West coast ball.  Tuned in to the Rose Bowl to take a look at Justin Herbert. What’s the consensus on this guy?

Consensus top-10 pick at QB. Maybe not a top-10 player in the draft class, but there's not really anything to hate about him. He has good accuracy (and flashes tremendous pinpoint accuracy), he's mobile, has a large frame, and really improved Oregon as a football team in comparison to recent years. He can read the field somewhat consistently. He's about as safe an option as you could have at the QB position, but I'm not sure about his intangibles. He doesn't seem to fire up his teammates and isn't a very vocal type of guy. Doesn't look like he has the intensity that makes some quiet guys formidable leaders, either. Still. Not really anything to hate about Herbert. 

• Like 1

Well I think this a huge blow to those of us that wanted Rivers back at a below market deal for one last push at being competitive. For those hoping we roll with Tyrod or a rookie QB behind our line though your chances to get what you want went up. Not saying Rivers isn’t coming back but moving to the opposite coast sure doesn’t help our chances. 

12 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Well I think this a huge blow to those of us that wanted Rivers back at a below market deal for one last push at being competitive. For those hoping we roll with Tyrod or a rookie QB behind our line though your chances to get what you want went up. Not saying Rivers isn’t coming back but moving to the opposite coast sure doesn’t help our chances. 

Honestly though, it could be a worse situation transitioning from Rivers to a young guy. Tyrod is a competent bridge quarterback, and honestly, his mobility will lessen the impact of a suspect offensive line. 

Draft Tua, sit him a year behind Tyrod, let him learn etc, and then turn him lose. 

Honestly, even with tyrod, this could still be a wild card team. 

13 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly though, it could be a worse situation transitioning from Rivers to a young guy. Tyrod is a competent bridge quarterback, and honestly, his mobility will lessen the impact of a suspect offensive line. 

Draft Tua, sit him a year behind Tyrod, let him learn etc, and then turn him lose. 

Honestly, even with tyrod, this could still be a wild card team. 

I just posted in a thread in NFL Gen that I'd put higher probability on the Chargers trying (I'm less confident they're successful because Detroit actually has a competent GM) to trade up above Miami to go after Tua.  Part of that is because they have the luxury of bridging with Tyrod for a year (probably wouldn't last that long, but who knows... would probably depend on how much success out the gate they have).  Part of that is that I don't think Herbert moves the needle in terms of expected marketability in the LA market.  Definitely a higher probability than that they bring in a veteran that would usurp Tyrod (via free agency for sure, and - barring some very specific names, who aren't likely attainable - trade as well).

Telesco isn't the type to go after big ticket free agents anyway, no matter how much the media bandies the Chargers about as a possible option for a free agent.  Casey Heyward is probably the biggest name and they caught him on a relative deal after the market seemed to forget about it, so I tend to consider that more exception than rule.

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

I just posted in a thread in NFL Gen that I'd put higher probability on the Chargers trying (I'm less confident they're successful because Detroit actually has a competent GM) to trade up above Miami to go after Tua.  Part of that is because they have the luxury of bridging with Tyrod for a year (probably wouldn't last that long, but who knows... would probably depend on how much success out the gate they have).  Part of that is that I don't think Herbert moves the needle in terms of expected marketability in the LA market.  Definitely a higher probability than that they bring in a veteran that would usurp Tyrod (via free agency for sure, and - barring some very specific names, who aren't likely attainable - trade as well).

Telesco isn't the type to go after big ticket free agents anyway, no matter how much the media bandies the Chargers about as a possible option for a free agent.  Casey Heyward is probably the biggest name and they caught him on a relative deal after the market seemed to forget about it, so I tend to consider that more exception than rule.

That might be true any other off-season but not a critical one like this. If you look at the free agent pool this off-season you'll see quite a few note worthy OL. Conklin, Williams, etc.

They may not work out but we do have some cap opening up and he needs to be a big player in F.A this year. It's not like he can pretend were a contender that can get players on the cheap. 

I also think Herbert isn't the media plugging in a QB name at 6. He has all checkmarks of a Telesco QB. 4 year starter, well liked among teammates, stats improved every year and generally healthy. He is also a Oregon Duck and the last time the Chargers front office even had sniffing at QB they took their Owner to go see Mariota.