STAN KROENKE

Dan_Bali

On 12/16/2019 at 11:34 PM, Dan_Bali said:

To be honest, I’m saying this as an extremely disgruntled Arsenal fan who is livid about a foreign owner ruining a proud English football club.  

To the naked eye, it appears he is draining revenue from Arsenal to pay for the Rams new stadium.  Obviously, this won’t overly concern you, but it is almost criminal to see someone destroy a sports club though their own selfish ambition/aims.

He’s scum, sub-human scum

Then as a fellow Arsenal supporter (25 years this year), you probably ought to spread your ire out a lot more than just at Stan.  Stan will spend money where he sees potential to make money, but he's not going to spend just to spend (and the Board members who steered other shareholders to sell to him over Usmanov and Moshiri in the mid-2000's - i.e. the same ones who ran David Dein out - backed him for similar reason); which sadly has become the model in European football at the upper tiers with all the oil money tied up therein.  He's trusted some crappy folks where Arsenal are concerned (Ivan Gadzidis is a clueless moron and he's going to torpedo Milan the same way he did Arsenal).

The situation with Arsenal is happened with the Colorado Avalanche, where Pierre LaCroix had been such a fixture for so long in the management structure of the team and when he (was forced to) resigned in 2005, there was a clear and obvious period of adjustment that had to happen because LaCroix had been so ingrained into the identity of the team that he effectively was the identity of the team (not unlike Arsene Wenger at Arsenal).  You could argue that learning from the missteps in the Giguere/Quinneville years (which were some of the worst in their post-move tenure), along with the George Karl years for the Nuggets, helped Kroenke avoid similar such pitfalls when it came time to hiring someone like McVay (which was counter to what had been the M.O. for his organizations - and arguably what Arsenal may be trying to replicate with the appointment of Mikel Arteta).  Though, it's also worth noting that in Les Snead and co. Kroenke's also benefited from having in place an already-demonstrated scouting/personnel assembly team, which Arsenal lacked (looked like they might have had before Sanlehi and Sven Mislintat had their butting of heads) because for so many years, in the post David Dein era, Arsene Wenger was all those things, with his finger in too many pots for his own good.

Your naked eye should probably go review Swiss Ramble and the Arsenal Supporters Trust's reports, because Kroenke hasn't "taken money out of Arsenal" (borrowed against the valuation of his majority shares, sure, but that's substantially different - especially since it would behoove him to keep those shares at similar or greater value for those purposes) in any way, particularly the way that the Glazers used the Bucs for years as a secondary source of funding for Manchester United's spending, until they secured their East Asia (specifically Chinese) sources.

Kroenke is never going to be a Mansour or Abramovich, and he's never going to have the underwriting of the national government the way the Barca and Real Madrid do, but if the club actually present like they can be competitive again (the culture right now is dross - it went beyond just Emery is was an entire post-Wenger hangover where Wenger was there so long he was the identity of Arsenal and in his void no dominant personality rose to fill, so in the chaos just about everyone languished) and can qualify for Champions League, he'll spend to keep them there.  But if you're expecting him to do what City do and spend enough to legitimate have 2 full sides capable of starting just about anywhere else in the league, you're going to be sorely disappointed, because that's unrealistic of almost any owner.

• Like 2

As a life long Rams fan who’s always lived in New York, the move from St Louis to LA really didn’t affect me. If anything, going to LA gave them more attention so I could finally start seeing more about them. STL proved year after year that it did not prioritize football over baseball or even hockey for that matter. Now with that said, LA fans don’t exactly seem to be showing up much more either, but it’s at least still the bigger market. Kroeneke stays quiet, keeps out of the football operation and is always willing to shell out the money. I get it—if the Rams were in NY where I lived and then moved away, I’d be crushed too. But I really have no problem with the guy. 

Edited by BEASToftheEAST4
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

As a life long Rams fan who’s always lived in New York, the move from St Louis to LA really didn’t affect me. If anything, going to LA gave them more attention so I could finally start seeing more about them. STL proved year after year that it did not prioritize football over baseball or even hockey for that matter. Now with that said, LA fans don’t exactly seem to be showing up much more either, but it’s at least still the bigger market. Kroeneke stays quiet, keeps out of the football operation and is always willing to shell out the money. I get it—if the Rams were in NY where I lived and then moved away, I’d be crushed too. But I really have no problem with the guy. 

Having actually gone to games, fans show up ( @ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI can confirm), the problem is two-fold:
1) The Coliseum is old - specifically this takes the biggest effect in perceived crowd effect because how many pro stadiums do you know of that have a competition track (in addition to your standard team sideline and media/camera lines) separating the crowd from the field?  Not sure how much of an effect it had this season, but it's also worth noting that (compared to last season) the ability to get to the Coliseum via public transit (especially Metro Rail) for most of half of this season was much more difficult since they closed half of Blue Line (now the "A" Line) for renovation in preparation for increased use ahead of the Inglewood stadium opening (fairly confident we'll see an imminent domain seizure to put in a new light rail line connecting Inglewood and, at minimum, LAX, but likely also intersecting with the Blue Line, probably around Crenshaw).

2) Ticket resellers are an issue that at some point owners are going to have to deal with.  Unless you've got a really magnanimous owner willing to potentially take less profit for the benefit of the local fans (I've learned not to count on this happening with men of their stature, you can usually count them on a couple fingers), the more new stadiums that get built the more opportunities for ticket resale agencies (which can get as big as massive corporations at this point, but vary in size) to buy up blocks of season tickets and they sell them indiscriminately of whether the people buying them are home fans or out-of-towners in town to follow their favorite team on an away trip.  Where this is particularly noteworthy is in destination cities like LA, San Fran, Atlanta, New York, Miami, etc. that are both transportation hubs and spots that people would actually opt to vacation.  I don't actually know what the solution is or would be, but I do believe it's a reason why several teams have opted to retrofit or renovate their existing stadiums (Lincoln Financial in Philadelphia comes to mind, I believe they did the same thing with Arrowhead) rather than build anew, because it allows long-time season ticketholders and the like to more easily maintain their claim on their specific seats.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The LBC said:

Then as a fellow Arsenal supporter (25 years this year), you probably ought to spread your ire out a lot more than just at Stan.  Stan will spend money where he sees potential to make money, but he's not going to spend just to spend (and the Board members who steered other shareholders to sell to him over Usmanov and Moshiri in the mid-2000's - i.e. the same ones who ran David Dein out - backed him for similar reason); which sadly has become the model in European football at the upper tiers with all the oil money tied up therein.  He's trusted some crappy folks where Arsenal are concerned (Ivan Gadzidis is a clueless moron and he's going to torpedo Milan the same way he did Arsenal).

The situation with Arsenal is happened with the Colorado Avalanche, where Pierre LaCroix had been such a fixture for so long in the management structure of the team and when he (was forced to) resigned in 2005, there was a clear and obvious period of adjustment that had to happen because LaCroix had been so ingrained into the identity of the team that he effectively was the identity of the team (not unlike Arsene Wenger at Arsenal).  You could argue that learning from the missteps in the Giguere/Quinneville years (which were some of the worst in their post-move tenure), along with the George Karl years for the Nuggets, helped Kroenke avoid similar such pitfalls when it came time to hiring someone like McVay (which was counter to what had been the M.O. for his organizations - and arguably what Arsenal may be trying to replicate with the appointment of Mikel Arteta).  Though, it's also worth noting that in Les Snead and co. Kroenke's also benefited from having in place an already-demonstrated scouting/personnel assembly team, which Arsenal lacked (looked like they might have had before Sanlehi and Sven Mislintat had their butting of heads) because for so many years, in the post David Dein era, Arsene Wenger was all those things, with his finger in too many pots for his own good.

Your naked eye should probably go review Swiss Ramble and the Arsenal Supporters Trust's reports, because Kroenke hasn't "taken money out of Arsenal" (borrowed against the valuation of his majority shares, sure, but that's substantially different - especially since it would behoove him to keep those shares at similar or greater value for those purposes) in any way, particularly the way that the Glazers used the Bucs for years as a secondary source of funding for Manchester United's spending, until they secured their East Asia (specifically Chinese) sources.

Kroenke is never going to be a Mansour or Abramovich, and he's never going to have the underwriting of the national government the way the Barca and Real Madrid do, but if the club actually present like they can be competitive again (the culture right now is dross - it went beyond just Emery is was an entire post-Wenger hangover where Wenger was there so long he was the identity of Arsenal and in his void no dominant personality rose to fill, so in the chaos just about everyone languished) and can qualify for Champions League, he'll spend to keep them there.  But if you're expecting him to do what City do and spend enough to legitimate have 2 full sides capable of starting just about anywhere else in the league, you're going to be sorely disappointed, because that's unrealistic of almost any owner.

You're absolutely right, but it's too easy for people who are too lazy to look at things to understand what's going on. It's really easy to just rail against Kroenke so that's what the lazy do. 

There a ton of ram fans who show up. The Falcons game was 80-20 70-30 a few years ago. I didn’t go to Dallas as I was working. But I’ve been to a lot of Ram games. The camera loves to focus on the visiting side a lot. But trust me! There a ton of passionate ram fans in La and very nice ones as well I went to the chiefs game last year and the whole stadium was packed with Ram fans. There might be games where I haven’t gone and it might be 50-50. But some of those are just La people striking while the iron is hot and making some $$$$. Because at the end of the day the best seats are right at your house. 

LA market is a tricky one and the rams are doing a right job at building it. IIRC the first year back the rams sold out every game under fisher! And it was fisher! 

But with so so many teams and many things to do in LA! It’s just a different animal to feed. Im

glad though the players don’t attack or demand people to show up! As that will probably be a massive turn off to the bandwagon fans. There just trucking a long nicely.