Is Ryan Anderson the Most Improved Player?

turtle28

Coming into this season Anderson hadn't shown much. He was out if shape, injured and ineffective as a rookie in 2017. The next offseason by all accounts he worked his butt off and was improved but still didn't have much of an impact in his second season as Kerrigan’s back up.

Now this year he's taken off lately that he's getting to play more because of Ryan Kerrigan’s concussion and now season-ending calf injury.

Yesterday he had 5 tackles, 2 sacks (one taken away of a bs penalty) and 3 forced fumbles.

He's getting more pressure on the QB, he's always been a good run defender and his nose for the ball and ability to rake and get strip sacks and forced fumbles is evident and that's something we haven't had on this defense In a decade.

On the season Anderson has 38 tackles, 4 sacks (had a 5th wrongfully taken away from him yesterday) and has 4 forced fumbles on the season as a back up.

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Hahahahahahahaha

Kevin Sheehan brought it up today on his radio show. If not Ryan Anderson then who? I don't think there's anyone else who didn't do much last year but has played better this year.

Why isn't he?

Are you really going to hold to your prediction that he's a bust from 3 years ago just bc you thought that before he ever really got a chance to play and prove himself?

Or will you be honest and admit that may be he's turning into a better player and is showing flashes of maybe being a player you never thought he’d be.

If people can't admit they may be wrong, that's a real problem.

Edited by turtle28

36 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Kevin Sheehan brought it up today on his radio show. If not Ryan Anderson then who? I don't think there's anyone else who didn't do much last year but has played better this year.

Why isn't he?

Are you really going to hold to your prediction that he's a bust from 3 years ago just bc you thought that before he ever really got a chance to play and prove himself?

Or will you be honest and admit that may be he's turning into a better player and is showing flashes of maybe being a player you never thought he’d be.

If people can't admit they may be wrong, that's a real problem.

He is a bust. He’s a second round pick that can’t get on the field unless people get hurt and rarely makes plays when he does. 

I agree that Anderson has underperformed his draft spot but.... he really never had a starting role or was give. A chance IMO, I mean we drafted murphy in 14 and Preston in 15 while already having Kerrigan.

even though he was a second rounder he was basically the 4th OLB on the depth chart. I never thought he got a chance and now that injuries are happening we can finally see what he can do these last games.

i wouldn’t say he’s a bust at all, just a guy that never got his chance and now he sees to take advantage of it.

i always thought they would move him inside and be a run stuffing ILB with Shaun dion or another guy being our coverage ILB but it never happened

he may not be a starter for us but at the very least he is good depth, and seizing his opportunity, I think that’s all he needed

Anderson is not most improved.Think that goes to Ereck Flowers,if not Dunbar prob gets him for the leap he's made.

He had a good game yesterday vs a backup RT,and one of the Sacks fumble came where he overshot the QB by 5 yards and then had to run back and hit,Most Qb woulda got rid of the ball or ran right to the wide open space he vacated there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

He is a bust. He’s a second round pick that can’t get on the field unless people get hurt and rarely makes plays when he does. 

Ridiculous. He had 3 sacks and 3 forced fumbles yesterday, that doesn’t happen bc of luck.

He was drafted to play behind arguably the best edge pass rusher the Redskins have had in decades - Ryan Kerrigan - I told you and all the other haters that’s why he wasn’t having a big impact.

Then, the two games Kerrigan gets hurt, he does make an impact and you’re still stubborn about wanting your wrong prediction about him to be more right than an actual Redskins draft pick turning into a good player?

Thats such a ridiculous position. Seems to me you care more about being right about your prediction on a draft pick than if a player actually turns out to be a good player for the Redskins and proves you wrong.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ovfd55 said:

Anderson is not most improved.Think that goes to Ereck Flowers,if not Dunbar prob gets him for the leap he's made.

He had a good game yesterday vs a backup RT,and one of the Sacks fumble came where he overshot the QB by 5 yards and then had to run back and hit,Most Qb woulda got rid of the ball or ran right to the wide open space he vacated there.

I don’t know if people would consider Flowers because he didn’t play on the Redskins last year.

Dunbar was as good as he is this year last year. Dunbar was the best corner on our team last year. He just got hurt so then we only got to see how good he was playing the first half of the year.

As far as Anderson ”only playing vs a back up, ” like that matters anyways but, let's look at who he played against yesterday.

Vaitai is more than just an average back up OT. He’s started 18 games over the last 4 years for the Eagles. He’s played well against the Redskins two starting OLBs the last 4 years - PSMITH & Kerrigan. He started for Peters when Peters was out and didn’t get dominated by the opposing DE/OLB like he did yesterday, same when he’s played for Lane Johnson like yesterday and I don’t ever remember him giving up 3 sacks in a game.

And why does it matter that Wentz should have gotten rid of the ball? We don’t put asterisks on other players sacks and say “oh, he had 100 career sacks but on 10 of them the QB should have gotten rid of the ball.”

Let’s just give Anderson his props for improving so much since his rookie year and hope it continues. He's a hard worker and he a very smart and cerebral player. I've never seen a Redskins DL go after the strip-sack/forced fumble as much as he did yesterday. That's something he was taught as a younger player at Alabama and he's perfected. If he can keep making plays like that he could end up making a lot of plays for us when he get snaps.

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

The better he plays now, the better the comp pick is when we hopefully let him walk. 

I can live with this. 

I still think he's on the "bust" train because of the pick we invested and his past performance. 

However, his production this year should not be ignored either.

Now, is this an outlier, or a taste of things to come?

I don't know the answer to that question and I'd rather another team pay to get those answers while we collect a comp pick.

9 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I can live with this. 

I still think he's on the "bust" train because of the pick we invested and his past performance. 

However, his production this year should not be ignored either.

Now, is this an outlier, or a taste of things to come?

I don't know the answer to that question and I'd rather another team pay to get those answers while we collect a comp pick.

I’d rather have a good back up or serviceable starter at LOLB then a late round comp pick which 9 times out of 10 doesn't work out bc he’s a late-round pick. At best a late round pick ends up being a below average player anyways, if that late round pick even makes the team at all.

Anderson is on his way to having possibly a 50 tackle, 5 sack & 5 forced fumble season while only starting 4 games.

He's done it through hard work, mostly high motor/effort plays and not just relying on god-given talent. To me that seems like someone you’d want to keep around, even if he is never a double-digit sack guy as a starter and is just mainly a special teams guy and 3rd OLB.

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d rather have a good back up or serviceable starter at LOLB then a late round comp pick which 9 times out of 10 doesn't work out bc he’s a late-round pick. At best a late round pick ends up being a below average player anyways, if that late round pick even makes the team at all.

Anderson is on his way to having possibly a 50 tackle, 5 sack & 5 forced fumble season while only starting 4 games.

He's done it through hard work, mostly high motor/effort plays and not just relying on god-given talent. To me that seems like someone you’d want to keep around, even if he is never a double-digit sack guy as a starter and is just mainly a special teams guy and 3rd OLB.

Dude, this is an outlier season. Just like Alex Smith's 2017 season as an outlier season. Yes, he's started 4 games. These are the first 4 games he's started in his career. That tells me something. Additionally, his performance in the other games this year is improved over the ones in the previous two.

Now, you're going to argue all day long (just like you did with Alex) that this is indicative of his improvement as a player. 

And that may be.

But someone else arguing that this is a outlier to the rest of his body of work, also has a point.

Neither of us know right now who will be proven right. And since that is the case, I want another team to pay up to find out if we're right or not. 

If you're right, it's not a huge loss. I'm pretty sure we can find another player to not produce 66% of his time here.

If I'm right, then we dodge a bullet and don't have to pay up for a player who will retreat to form and go back to underwhelming all of us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Dude, this is an outlier season. Just like Alex Smith's 2017 season as an outlier season. Yes, he's started 4 games. These are the first 4 games he's started in his career. That tells me something. Additionally, his performance in the other games this year is improved over the ones in the previous two.

Now, you're going to argue all day long (just like you did with Alex) that this is indicative of his improvement as a player. 

And that may be.

But someone else arguing that this is a outlier to the rest of his body of work, also has a point.

Neither of us know right now who will be proven right. And since that is the case, I want another team to pay up to find out if we're right or not. 

If you're right, it's not a huge loss. I'm pretty sure we can find another player to not produce 66% of his time here.

If I'm right, then we dodge a bullet and don't have to pay up for a player who will retreat to form and go back to underwhelming all of us.

Anderson has outplayed Kerrigan and Sweat this year. 

The difference between Alex & what Anderson is doing is Alex had his big year at 33 years old & he was throwing to Tyreke Hill & Travis Kelce.

Big difference between Alex and a player who is improving, developing and is still only 25. It's like a polar opposite.

Also, I wouldn't advocate re-signing Anderson to some huge deal like we mistakenly did with Alex before he even played a game for us. We can keep Anderson on a respectable deal.

Here's what I’m sure the Redskins will end up doing, trade down & pass on Chase Young bc they have Sweat & Kerrigan. Then, they’ll let Anderson walk and give Ryan Kerrigan a huge 5-year deal!

Edited by turtle28