Is Ryan Anderson the Most Improved Player?

turtle28

So ... if Ryan Anderson is supposed to be a break out star, why is everyone drooling over Chase Young? Keep in mind Washington traded up for Montez Sweat so there's no little to no chance that Anderson unseats Sweat going forward barring injury.

14 hours ago, Woz said:

So ... if Ryan Anderson is supposed to be a break out star, why is everyone drooling over Chase Young? Keep in mind Washington traded up for Montez Sweat so there's no little to no chance that Anderson unseats Sweat going forward barring injury.

Is this a serious question?

On 12/23/2019 at 11:39 AM, turtle28 said:

Is this a serious question?

The original question was Anderson the most improved player on the team. My point was effectively "does it matter?" He's had three years and this little burst at the end of year three is nice and all, but he's still effectively a bust given where he was drafted for the team (and what the could have gotten instead (no, I will never forgive them for passing on Cunningham there)). So, he's improved. Bully for him. He's still at best a situational guy that is targeted to be replaced by a generational talent (so everyone keeps saying, I'm taking your all word for it, but I'm expecting Young should he come to Washington to bust (probably due to injuries) because we cannot have nice things). So ... do we care?

• Like 2

On 12/28/2019 at 11:50 AM, Woz said:

The original question was Anderson the most improved player on the team. My point was effectively "does it matter?" He's had three years and this little burst at the end of year three is nice and all, but he's still effectively a bust given where he was drafted for the team (and what the could have gotten instead (no, I will never forgive them for passing on Cunningham there)). So, he's improved. Bully for him. He's still at best a situational guy that is targeted to be replaced by a generational talent (so everyone keeps saying, I'm taking your all word for it, but I'm expecting Young should he come to Washington to bust (probably due to injuries) because we cannot have nice things). So ... do we care?

I would say no, it doesn’t matter, but in a lost season it was nice to see players like Ryan Anderson and others finally make some nice plays in games while they didn’t in past years when they had little opportunities to show what they can do. Good depth is always needed. 

Edited by turtle28

On 12/28/2019 at 11:50 AM, Woz said:

You still need backup players. Why aren't you signing Anderson to a backup deal? Ignore where he was drafted and just answer who made more plays after your starters Kerrigan and Sweat? I would say Anderson and that's why I would resign him to a backup type deal.

Edited by Skins212689

28 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

You still need backup players. Why aren't you signing Andserson to a backup deal? Ignore where he was drafted and just answer who made more plays after your starters Kerrigan and Sweat? I would say Anderson and that's why I would resign him to a backup type deal.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29884fbaa787560a856b

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I would say no, it doesn’t matter, but in a lost season it was nice to see players like Ryan Anderson and others finally make some nice plays in games while they didn’t in past years when they had little opportunities to show what they can do. Good depth is always needed. 

*shrugs* Getting "good depth" from a second round pick is a failure.

Maybe he does enough to garner the team a decent compensatory pick in a year.

13 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

You still need backup players. Why aren't you signing Anderson to a backup deal? Ignore where he was drafted and just answer who made more plays after your starters Kerrigan and Sweat? I would say Anderson and that's why I would resign him to a backup type deal.

So, if/when they draft Young, he can be a really important contributor as the 4th option.

He's a bust. Why waste the roster spot on him versus someone cheaper and hungrier?

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, if/when they draft Young, he can be a really important contributor as the 4th option.

He's a bust. Why waste the roster spot on him versus someone cheaper and hungrier?

I'm actually interested to see what Ryan Anderson could do as a strong side LBer in a 4-3 scheme.  He's obviously not a good pass rusher but is pretty solid against the run.  I don't think he will be expensive to retain if they want to.

20 minutes ago, Woz said:

3 years 10 million is pretty cheap to me. I don't agree he's a BUST, now I will definitely say he didn't live up to a 2nd round pick expectations. He played well when he took over for Kerrigan. 

4 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

3 years 10 million is pretty cheap to me. I don't agree he's a BUST, now I will definitely say he didn't live up to a 2nd round pick expectations. He played well when he took over for Kerrigan. 

1. If he didn't live up to his draft position, barely played at all in his first two years, and only did anything of merit after multiple people got hurt, isn't that the definition of a bust?

2. His "playing well" time was very small. I would expect a regression to the mean.

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

1. If he didn't live up to his draft position, barely played at all in his first two years, and only did anything of merit after multiple people got hurt, isn't that the definition of a bust?

2. His "playing well" time was very small. I would expect a regression to the mean.

Have fun dude, I'm done with this discussion. You still haven't given a reliable backup in his place. They brung in Multiple LB's and Pass Rushers even another 2nd round pick in Noah Spence. Anderson still outplayed them! Also let's not forget who his DC have been. The same DC who WE all know needed to be gone sooner just like Bruce Allen. 

Edited by Skins212689