Is Ryan Anderson the Most Improved Player?

turtle28

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm actually interested to see what Ryan Anderson could do as a strong side LBer in a 4-3 scheme.  He's obviously not a good pass rusher but is pretty solid against the run.  I don't think he will be expensive to retain if they want to.

So... your interested in seeing Ryan Anderson in coverage more?? 

I don’t think he should be a starting 4-3 OLB. He should be a back up player but depending on how things shake out, he could be forced to be the starting SLB but, that wouldn’t be ideal.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Just now, Woz said:

I guess my question is: is four to six games worth of decent play worth 3y/$10m?

When he finally got on the field after Kerrigan was hurt, Anderson flashed. Isn’t that what you want a back up player to do when he finally gets his opportunity?

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Agree with him being a backup and him not dropping in coverage. 

Yeah, guys like Anderson are glue players. I don’t think he has a starting spot on a 4-3 good defense but as a rotational piece he can be used. There’s no doubt the guy always seems to find the ball as a defender, I don’t know how or why but that’s something special.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Have fun dude, I'm done with this discussion. You still haven't given a reliable backup in his place. They brung in Multiple LB's and Pass Rushers even another 2nd round pick in Noah Spence. Anderson still outplayed them! Also let's not forget who his DC have been. The same DC who WE all know needed to be gone sooner just like Bruce Allen. 

Well, I was going to leave it be, but you did edit this to flesh it out so I guess you weren't done?

As for replacing Anderson, three things:

1. His replacement? I would look to either the late round picks or a possible UDFA. He is the third (and if they draft Young, soon to be fourth) option. This isn't a critical position to get right.

2. I am not saying cut him now. Matter of fact, unless he gets completely outplayed by someone else (see point #1), I would like him to make the team if only to leave the following year and maybe get a compensatory pick out of him. I would also look around to see if I could do a "trash for trash" deal.

3. The fact that they brought in multiple people before finally settling on Anderson should maybe give you a bit of insight into how they viewed him. Why does he deserve some sort of protection?

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Well, I was going to leave it be, but you did edit this to flesh it out so I guess you weren't done?

1. His replacement? I would look to either the late round picks or a possible UDFA. He is the third (and if they draft Young, soon to be fourth) option. This isn't a critical position to get right.

2. I am not saying cut him now. Matter of fact, unless he gets completely outplayed by someone else (see point #1), I would like him to make the team if only to leave the following year and maybe get a compensatory pick out of him. I would also look around to see if I could do a "trash for trash" deal.

3. The fact that they brought in multiple people before finally settling on Anderson should maybe give you a bit of insight into how they viewed him. Why does he deserve some sort of protection?

What multiple people? 

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

When he finally got on the field after Kerrigan was hurt, Anderson flashed. Isn’t that what you want a back up player to do when he finally gets his opportunity?

He's had opportunities before this and didn't. He's going to be blocked by Kerrigan, Sweat, and Young (assuming drafted) for playing time. Why would you spend $10m on a backup?

If he can flash some more, great. Hopefully he can create a solid highlight reel to sign somewhere else. Barring injuries, it is unlikely he has a future here.

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, guys like Anderson are glue players. I don’t think he has a starting spot on a 4-3 good defense but as a rotational piece he can be used. There’s no doubt the guy always seems to find the ball as a defender, I don’t know how or why but that’s something special.

You don't spend $10m on a backup/role player. That is just wasting cap space.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

4 Sacks, 4 TFL, 9 QB hits, 5 FF, 2 FR stats I can live with coming from a backup. He isn't getting any protection or pass, he's earned his Roster Spot. If you don't want to cut him Now and Maybe not even at all, what is your point in this discussion? 

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

He's had opportunities before this and didn't. He's going to be blocked by Kerrigan, Sweat, and Young (assuming drafted) for playing time. Why would you spend $10m on a backup?

If he can flash some more, great. Hopefully he can create a solid highlight reel to sign somewhere else. Barring injuries, it is unlikely he has a future here.

We differ strongly on this. I said since Anderson was drafted that he was a guy who would fit on the left side as Kerrigan’s back up. Strong run defender and a guy who was very cerebral that made good football plays that didn’t always show up on the stat sheet. Anderson actually outlasted the guy that Scot McCloughan said we should have drafted instead of him - Tim Williams - who was cut this year by the Ravens.

Kerrigan didn’t miss a game until this season, so where were all these opportunities?

And $3 million a year for a core special teams player and reserve DE/OLB is not a lot of $.

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

4 Sacks, 4 TFL, 9 QB hits, 5 FF, 2 FR stats I can live with coming from a backup. He isn't getting any protection or pass, he's earned his Roster Spot. If you don't want to cut him Now and Maybe not even at all, what is your point in this discussion? 

If he can earn his roster spot this off-season, I would keep him if only to finish out his rookie deal and maybe get a compensatory pick out of him.

At the same time, I expect him to get outplayed by a rookie and lose his spot. I think the stats you point to are aberrations and he will revert back to what he was.

As such, I certainly would not spend anything a 3y/$10m contract on him as the 4th option. His AAV of his next contract should not be above $1m at this point.

I don't know why we are having such passionate arguments about a guy who is going to be relegated to special teams again. But you and turtle keep wanting to pound the table for this guy for some reason.