Week 16: Packers (11-3) at VIKINGS (10-4)

swede700

52 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Legit question for you guys concerning my Packers....

Can you tell me, objectively, what scares you about the Packers? 

The Packers have been very good with their opening offensive script all year.

The defense gives up yards and first downs but stiffens in the red zone and has a knack for producing turnovers that save points.

For specific players, Rodgers runs hot and cold but he’s still great on 3rd and 4th downs, and in the red zone. He can break contain and make big plays off script. If he gets a Hail Mary chance, I’ll be holding my breath.

The only Packers receiver I fear is Adams. With Rhodes’ decline, the Vikings don’t have a clear matchup option. Hopefully Mike Hughes can step up — he’s got quick feet and Adams’ best trait is his COD skills.

Aaron Jones is a very good back but I think the Vikings LBs can keep him in check.

The Packers OL is always good at pass protection, but Zimmer has consistently found ways to pressure a Rodgers regardless. I expect Hunter and Griffen to be able get to the QB.

On the defense, I expect Kenny Clark to wreck the interior run game, as he usually does. Hopefully the Vikings can get something going outside the tackles, and run up the middle when Clark is rotated out.

The Packers pass rush was very effective in the Lambeau game. Za’Darius Smith can have a big impact rushing from the interior, where the Vikings IOL is still a liability in pass protection. If Cousins can get through the game without fumbling, I’ll be happy with that.

I don’t think GB’s back 7 is very good. Alexander is a solid player but overrated based on his production so far. Both of their starting corners are pretty handsy (and yet GB has only 2 DPI calls against all year, hmm 🤔) but Diggs and Thielen should be able to win on enough routes that Cousins will have some targets. I think there could also be good opportunities for Irv and Rudy against their safeties and LBs, and for Boone or Abdullah on screens.

Last but not least, Mason Crosby has been superb this year, so the Vikings had better not let them get in position for a game winning FG. 

• Like 2

I just need Aaron Jones to score 4 pts in fantasy tonight, which will be enough to give be the Championship in one of my leagues.  But, hopefully that'll be all he scores.  I need Diggs to get 7 to nab 3rd place in another league.  

Edited by swede700

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Per an article from the Athletic today, ESPN correspondent Michelle Beisner-Buck (Joe Buck's wife) grew up a Vikings fan, as both of her parents were Minnesotans (even though she's not as she was born in Colorado), so she'll now be a favorite one of mine.

I thought he was in love with Aaron Rodgers?

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

You guys have a very good offensive line, particularly the tackles if both are healthy.  Also, the passing combo of Rodgers to Adams as about as good as any in the league.  I really don't understand why teams don't double team Adams on pretty much every play, because Rodgers has shown a real propensity to not want to throw it to anyone else.  You guys also do a nice job on gaining yards with passes to your running back.  If I were LaFleur, I would do more of that.

On defense, you have several very good players who are capable of making game-changing plays.  The Smith brothers have been a huge success as free agent acquisitions.  That's a HUGE improvement your new GM has shown over Ted Thompson, whom I said for years was very overrated.  Your new GM has made some very good moves overall.  On the D-line, you have Kenny Clark, who is probably about as good as any nose tackle we have played against this season.  Vikings rookie center Garrett Bradbury had a real baptism by fire in the first couple games of his career when he had to go up against Clark when we played the Packers and Akiem Hicks in the game against the Bears.  I also think Jaire Alexander is one of the better young cornerbacks in the league, and opposing offenses should always keep track of where he is at.  Finally, former Bears safety, Adrian Amos has done a pretty decent job for you guys this season.

I would post this kind of thing over in the Packers forum but, due to a few whiners over there, Webby has told me he doesn't want me to post there at all anymore. 

Great read.  Objective.  Thank you!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krauser said:

The Packers have been very good with their opening offensive script all year.

The defense gives up yards and first downs but stiffens in the red zone and has a knack for producing turnovers that save points.

For specific players, Rodgers runs hot and cold but he’s still great on 3rd and 4th downs, and in the red zone. He can break contain and make big plays off script. If he gets a Hail Mary chance, I’ll be holding my breath.

The only Packers receiver I fear is Adams. With Rhodes’ decline, the Vikings don’t have a clear matchup option. Hopefully Mike Hughes can step up — he’s got quick feet and Adams’ best trait is his COD skills.

Aaron Jones is a very good back but I think the Vikings LBs can keep him in check.

The Packers OL is always good at pass protection, but Zimmer has consistently found ways to pressure a Rodgers regardless. I expect Hunter and Griffen to be able get to the QB.

On the defense, I expect Kenny Clark to wreck the interior run game, as he usually does. Hopefully the Vikings can get something going outside the tackles, and run up the middle when Clark is rotated out.

The Packers pass rush was very effective in the Lambeau game. Za’Darius Smith can have a big impact rushing from the interior, where the Vikings IOL is still a liability in pass protection. If Cousins can get through the game without fumbling, I’ll be happy with that.

I don’t think GB’s back 7 is very good. Alexander is a solid player but overrated based on his production so far. Both of their starting corners are pretty handsy (and yet GB has only 2 DPI calls against all year, hmm 🤔) but Diggs and Thielen should be able to win on enough routes that Cousins will have some targets. I think there could also be good opportunities for Irv and Rudy against their safeties and LBs, and for Boone or Abdullah on screens.

Last but not least, Mason Crosby has been superb this year, so the Vikings had better not let them get in position for a game winning FG. 

I'd say Alexander is more than just solid (definitely not all-pro like announcers like to say), the problem is our 2 is putrid.  

The secondary has had so much draft capitol put into it, it's frustrating that we still don't have consistency:

2014: HaHa, round 1....not bad but definitely not what we hoped for a 1st

2015: Randall, round 1; Rollins round 2....major whiffs

2017: King, round 1; Josh Jones, round 2....King looks good at times, then out-of-league terrible at others.  Big whiff on Jones, King tbd

2018: Jaire, round 1; Josh Jackson, round 2....Jaire finally a good pick, Jackson.....not looking so good as of now

2019: Savage, round 1...looks to be a future core piece. 

5 years, 8 picks in the first 2 rounds and still our secondary is below average.  Man that's brutal.  

I'm hoping Danielle Hunter can break the record set by Jared Allen in a game that Packer fans may remember back in 2009 when they visited Minnesota.  Jared had 4.5 sacks - the record up to that time for any single player in a game on Monday Night Football.  I don't know if that record has been broken in the ten years since then, but tonight would be a good time to do it.  :D

hxzn04v.jpg

• Like 1

Rookie TE watch update: Jace Sternberger will not have more catches than Irv Smith Jr this week. Sternberger is inactive. So far I am happy with the TE the Vikings drafted. The Packer fans can keep holding out hope for their young TE. They are both young but the argument that Sternberger is nearly as good will need something more to support it if they want to keep making that argument much longer.