Top Gun: Maverick (5-27-22)

thrILL!

I did really enjoy the movie.  A little bit of it was too cheesy and unrealistic but it was still a lot of fun.  They hit the perfect amount of nostalgia without over doing it IMO. 

Spoiler

I do wish Maverick would have died when shot down but figured it wouldn't happen.  It would have been more dramatic and could have capped off the series instead of leaving it open for more sequels to ruin the franchise.  

• Like 3

Loved it, just a fun ride and a well written and cohesive story that adds depth to characters. Sure, there are some cheesy moments and one montage that just felt like an 80s movie - but it WORKS in this context, works a lot.

The visuals were next level amazing. My jaw dropped several times through the movie, I dropped a few audible “whoa!” and “WOW!” more than once.

Spoiler

When Maverick and Rooster were in a dogfight with the Fifth Gen fighter and it just went “belly up” to avoid the F-14s missile? I literally said “HOLY ****, WOW” at the move.

Highly recommend this movie, it’s nothing like your current expectations.

• Like 3

That might be the most satisfying sequel I’ve ever seen. And to a movie that is so loved by so many. The aerial sequences are nothing less than breathtaking.  The hug with iceman was so special you could see both actors loving that moment. And the embrace between Mav and Rooster had me fighting back tears. I got really invested in this movie lol. I can’t wait to see it again!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

Sure, there are some cheesy moments and one montage that just felt like an 80s movie

Don't be knocking arguably the greatest thing about the 80s. 

The 80s movie montage is a trend that never should have gone away. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Don't be knocking arguably the greatest thing about the 80s. 

The 80s movie montage is a trend that never should have gone away. 

Spoiler

Except for that boat one with Cruise and Connolly…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I just realized that my crush on Jennifer Connelly has officially hit its 5th decade (she was my first ever crush in the 80s when I was a wee lad... Now 90s, 00s, 10s and 20s). 

Career Opportunities was transformative as a teenager lol. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Forge said:

I just realized that my crush on Jennifer Connelly has officially hit its 5th decade (she was my first ever crush in the 80s when I was a wee lad... Now 90s, 00s, 10s and 20s). 

Animated GIF

Considering I was a toddler in the late 80s, mine's in it's 4th decade. It's at that point that every time my two buddies see her in a movie, they snapchat me and say "your girl" lol.

The action in this was A1. Cruise may be crazy, but he sure has a passion for this filmaking thing. Him and  McQuarrie(producer on this) are a amazing team and I can't wait for the next mission impossible. annoying that we have studios putting in millions of dollars in action films and they end up looking so cheap compared to this, The Batman, Mad Max etc... and Jennifer Connelly has a case for having the best eyes in Hollywood history

Absolutely loved it. Saw it in IMAX too.

It will never top the original for me, but that’s to no fault of this movie. I used to watch the Top Gun VHS every time I stayed home sick from school from 1st grade well into HS, so it’s a pure nostalgia thing.

With how much I love the first, and how good this movie was, this has to be a top (no pun intended) contender for my fav movie franchise 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

It will never top the original for me, but that’s to no fault of this movie. I used to watch the Top Gun VHS every time I stayed home sick from school from 1st grade well into HS, so it’s a pure nostalgia thing.

One thing this fantastic sequel didn’t have was an intimidating enemy. Top Gun was during the Cold War where Russians were the scariest threat in the world. And movies like Red Dawn, Firefox etc built that dynamic into our psyches cinematically.  

In Maverick, it’s just some faceless enemy nation (did they even mention which country it was supposed to be?) trying to build nuclear weapons. So there wasn’t quite the weight of context to that threat.  Still a blast tho!

• Like 1