Top Gun: Maverick (5-27-22)

thrILL!

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

But the Hangman thing was clearly stated by Phoenix, though. "We call him Hangman because he always hangs you out to dry" or whatever she says when they're in the exercises and he leaves his wingman.

Like the dynamic between Goose and Maverick is one thing but it's established by Hangman very early on that Rooster is super conservative when flying. Idk. I'm probably looking too much into this little tiny fact :D

Right I get that, but remember in the training montage Hangman went too fast and left his wingman and Rooster went too slow but made it through clean. It’s them both justifying their incorrect personas.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:36 AM, Fresh Prince said:

44 million in its 4th week is incredible. Only avatar had more at 50 million.

It crossed 1 billion worldwide:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/media/top-gun-maverick-billion-box-office/index.html

"Top Gun: Maverick" has flown to new heights.

The sequel to the 1986 blockbuster, in which Tom Cruise reprises the famed role of Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, has crossed the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office, according to Paramount.
"Maverick" is the first film in Cruise's more than 40-year career to reach the billion-dollar milestone — and it's also the second-highest-grossing film in Paramount's long history in terms of domestic figures, behind only 1997's "Titanic."
What's more, "Maverick" notched its impressive box office figures in a sort of old-fashioned way: It scored a record opening over Memorial Day weekend and hasn't slowed much since.

Word of mouth has really driven this movie - I'd recommended it to family and they recommended it their friends, all of who are not regular movie goers and all enjoyed it. I only caught it recently myself this past weekend, and there was still a decent chunk of folks.

• Like 2

Loved this movie.  Every part of it.  Can't wait to own it.

The only thing I wished that was in there?  A dude in the tower spilling his coffee on the fly by after saying "Negative ghostrider, the pattern is full."

To me, this was the best movie made in a long time.

I loved how they matured Maverick some.  And I love how appropriate everything was concerning Maverick.  Even the "love" scene with JC was more about re-connecting than anything hot and sweaty.  They ain't kids no more!

And I loved that the gong right away at the beginning gave me goosebumps on my arms.  I had forgotten about that sound in my mind, but the body remembered quickly!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched it another time, this time with family I convinced to watch the original (they didn't see it - and they labored hard through the dated effects and paper-thin plot / character development).  

And they absolutely LOVED the movie.    I have to say, having seen it before, it aged so well - just as entertained the 2nd time, and I was able to catch the soundtrack a little more - even though maybe 1/3 of it was completely recycled, just amazing work by Zimmer & co.

Going to age incredibly well - because the story has actual depth, and the characters are excellent.  I kinda hope they don't try and go for the trilogy, at least with Maverick - it's going to be impossible IMO to match, let alone top.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1