NFLPA wins arbitration grievance vs. Jaguars over "mandatory" treatments

RaidersAreOne

41 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

Good luck trying to sign players in free agency after that. 

It's okay.  Coughlin and Co. already did that like lunatics, and now they have no more cap space to sign anyone else anyway.  When the new guy arrives and has to clean up this mess and rehabilitate the team's reputation with players on top of that.

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, he was.  Both Jalen and Coughlin can be asshats at the same time.

If management is incompetent then employees are never in the wrong to want out. Fining players when they had no basis to do so is ridiculous. I'm definitely siding with the players on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, I was excited about Shad when he bought the team but thus far he seems way in over his head with this. 

Tony has little if any say. I think that should change.

Tony used to have quite a bit of say. I imagine if his voice has diminished, it's because he's more focused on other ventures.

Love to see the NFLPA warn players about playing for my favorite team because they’re literally the worst run team in the league.

And Khan watched this happen to player after player and didn’t do a damn thing about it until it drove a mega-star away and he still didn’t really do a thing of value. So the idea that simply getting rid of Coughlin will make players forget about all of this is laughable. It’s going to take years for the next GM to gain back player trust again, and in the mean time players will continue to flock out of Jacksonville. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pwny said:

Love to see the NFLPA warm players about playing for my favorite team because they’re literally the worst run team in the league.

And Khan watched this happen to player after player and didn’t do a damn thing about it until it drove a mega-star away and he still didn’t really do a thing of value. So the idea that simply getting rid of Coughlin will make players forget about all of this is laughable. It’s going to take years for the next GM to gain back player trust again, and in the mean time players will continue to flock out of Jacksonville. 

Because it wasn't reported that Khan had meeting after meeting with Ramsey to try and repair the relationship...

Khan had owned the team for a while now. This became a thing in 2017 when, shocking, TC came to the team. If you think players/agents who are in the know as well as Jaguars players don't already know this then not sure what to say.

Worst case, they work it into their contract when talking. Guys are and always will flock to where the money is.

Edited by .Buzz

40 minutes ago, Malik said:

Khan is taking too hands off of an approach. I get trusting your football people to make football decision, but as an owner if you're constantly seeing grievances you should pay attention.

Exactly.

Khan definitely has plenty of blame, but he literally hired TC because he wanted little to no involvement in football operations. He figured hiring a guy who had so much history to the franchise and was widely regarded he could handle everything football related. The guy literally worked at NFL headquarters for a while. The fact TC did this while definitely knowing the rules and what he can and can't do just makes him look like an even bigger idiot.

Edited by .Buzz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pwny said:

Love to see the NFLPA warm players about playing for my favorite team because they’re literally the worst run team in the league.

That's right!! Shad Khan has been a big supporter of Tom Coughlin, and may well continue to place his trust in the Grand Old Man of the NFL for the forseeable future!

“What I felt we lacked was football IQ,” Khan said. “You just can’t say, ‘Let me go to craigslist or backpage.com and get some football IQ.’ You want somebody who really has the passion, the emotion, the drive. Nobody really personifies it better than Tom Coughlin."

"You hokay by me, Kiddo!"

Image result for shad khan tom coughlin

May Shad Khan, Tom Coughlin, and the rest of the Jaguars' braintrust fore'er lift their eyes to the shining vision of the Day when they bring home the Lombardi Trophy to Jacksonville!!

Image result for shad khan tom coughlin

Edited by bzane

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Because it wasn't reported that Khan had meeting after meeting with Ramsey to try and repair the relationship...

I literally referred to that in my post. “until it drove a mega-star away and he still didn’t really do a thing of value.”

Did Shad Khan meet with any of these players who filed grievances against the team at a rate 1,200% higher than the average of the rest of the league?No. Not once? Did he step in when Doug Marrone had a press conference telling everyone that the team had completely repaired all relations with Leonard Fournette only to see Fournette file a grievance against the team literally 80 minutes later? No. He only stepped in when it was a world class superstar that was upset and voiced displeasure. Two first round picks had an issue with Coughlin and actually filed grievances against the team because of him, but Shad didn’t do anything until it was arguably the best player at his position that had a problem. 

And even after Shad stepped in, what good did it do? Coughlin didn’t get fired. Ramsey clearly didn’t trust that things were going to be better. You can say whatever you want about Jalen, but that hurts the team’s image. And Doug Marrone clearly got pissed off with how Coughlin handled the situation even after the meeting between Shad and Ramsey. Even after that, there was a blow up between Doug and Coughlin where Coughlin told Marrone he wasn’t allowed to play a player that was having more success playing because Coughlin didn’t want him to play. So what exactly did Shad do? He met with Ramsey and literally nothing changed. Big deal.

And fun fact - Ramsey’s issue didn’t even result in a grievance against the team, so he literally doesn’t even count in this discussion of these grievances against the team. Let me repeat that again. The Jaguars have a grievance rate that is one thousand and two hundred percent higher than the rate of the other teams in the league and not a single thing was done by ownership about any of it.

Khan had owned the team for a while now. This became a thing in 2017 when, shocking, TC came to the team.

This isn’t the first time under Shad Khan’s ownership that someone in the organization has treated players like garbage.

Mike Mularkey treated players like garbage. You know about all the crap with Mularkey, right?

Quarterback’s coach Greg Olsen spread rumors about Blaine Gabbert to the media and sowed discourse that pitted players against one another, and then three years later they hired him back, gave him a raise and made him offensive coordinator just to watch him spread rumors about Blake Bortles to the media.

So, yes. This string of grievances started when Shad Khan hired Tom Coughlin - who had clearly shown throughout his career that he wasn’t EVP type material - simply because Shad wanted a disciplinarian in the front office. But throughout his entire tenure, *******s have been brought in and allowed to do whatever they want to players, and some of them even get promotions out of it, while ownership sits idly by and does nothing.

If you think players/agents who are in the know as well as Jaguars players don't already know this then not sure what to say.

If you think players don’t see an ownership that has showed they don’t care how players are treated while the team racks up grievance after grievance (unless that player is Jalen Ramsey, and even then nothing changes), not sure what to say.

Worst case, they work it into their contract when talking.

Work what into their contract, exactly? These players won grievances against the NFL because the Jaguars violated the CBA. The collective part of a collective bargaining agreement means that it applies to all contracts. These violations by the Jaguars are literally already in the contracts and the Jaguars didn’t care. What are they going to put in the contracts? Are they going to add a “Please don’t violate this contract, pretty please” clause? Is that going to make the players believe that the Jaguars will stop violating the terms contracts?

Or are you suggesting that the Jaguars are now in a position that they may need to hand over a huge negotiating block in future CBAs and jeopardize the entire league’s monopoly over player control just to get a contract signed? Because no team is going to allow players to void contracts due to CBA infractions.

Guys are and always will flock to where the money is.

Do you remember Terrence Knighton? Do you remember how he turned down a 2 year/$8Mil contract (with no income tax) with the Jags to take 2 year/$4M deal with Denver solely because he hated Mike Mularkey and that it didn’t matter that Mularkey and his entire staff as well as the guy who hired Mularkey no longer worked there? He took half as much money to play for a guy he knew he liked rather than risk playing for a team that would hire Mike Mularkey.

Or how about how ARob took less take home money to play for the Bears because he didn’t want to deal with Coughlin anymore?

Players aren’t going to stick around while they feel like they’re being treated poorly, and they’re not going to go to places where other players tell them things aren’t great. And they’re not just going to trust that ownership that has shown time and time again that they don’t care is suddenly going to make sure things don’t go to hell.

• Like 3