Saints claim CB Janoris Jenkins

RaidersAreOne

As I said in the other thread, I was hoping for this for some leadership. He's what, 31? So he's been there, done that.

54 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Has he been playing well..?

He's been okay, from what I understand. Nursing an ankle right now, but doing okay. He's probably a solid guy, but maybe not enough to unseat Apple. That said, I think I could unseat Apple right about now, so who knows.

He should have some chemistry with Eli Apple (I'm guessing that's part of why we claimed him), and currently sits at his career high for INT's at 4. According to an article I was reading the other day, he wants to be a free roam guy, kinda like Sharper was.

I mean, obviously the use of that word is more serious than when we all were growing up with our current culture, but that's what happens in the internet age.

Glad to have him on the team, with this trio of CBs we should be pretty good, will be interesting to see how it works out.

Let's face it, guys, a good number of football players are a contract away from being thugs, in whatever form you wish to make it.

Most of us here in the forums are capable of "real life" conversations, and understand that we shouldn't call people the "R" word anymore than Jenkins would like for us to call him a derogatory name.

That said, I'm way more worried about coverage than verbiage. It's not like he clocked his wife, snorted a line and got caught for the 6th time, or knelt down to Christ or in protest.

The one thing I will say is a lot of players can't handle the NY franchises and what comes with them. Remember when we got Apple? Landon Collins called him a cancer on a radio show. He was touted as a locker room issue. Since he's come here, I haven't heard a peep. There is a real pressure in playing in a big market like NY than playing here in New Orleans. I also think he's the type of guy who thrives in a good environment. That is, if your team is winning, he'll look like a rockstar. If your team is struggling, I think he's the type of guy who's effort plummets. Him coming here to play potentially 2nd or 3rd fiddle as a CB would be good for him. We have strong leadership from the top downwards, and he'll have a defined role. Not to mention, he's not expected to mentor. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if balled out for us the rest of the year. He's certainly got the talent to.

My biggest issue isn't that he used the word, but more he doubled down. I mean we all get frustrated, regret saying things or have momentary insanity, but doubling down is basically showing no remorse. He'll have less pressure here than NY, especially since we're a good team with strong leadership, however we can't have distractions. One thing I know about Payton is he hates distractions. Remember the primary reason we traded Cooks was because he was all about himself rather than the team (and IIRC same reason with the Pats). If we're going to make a superbowl run, he can't be getting into it with fans (who are a big part of our team identity) or pouting for playing time or anything like that.

• Like 1