AG20 2020 Mock Offseason

AlexGreen#20

Let's get the financials in order: 

Assuming a $200,000,000 cap, we've got 17.9million in cap space for 2020. We add our 8.6 million dollar roll over and we're at 26.5 million to spend.

We're then going to subtract 9.5 million for draft picks and roll over. That leaves us with 17 million.

Cuts:

Jimmy Graham (Add on 8 million) - Graham isn't a bad player, but it's not working here and I'll take the 8 million in cap space to go in a different direction. He'll find another job.

efw56tg2dqtzbd0nrdsk

Lane Taylor (Add on 4.5 million) - Similar to Graham, not a bad player and will get another job. I would just rather have that money if he isn't going to start which he wont.

g4qqnj0dwaxhlxlv6gze

That puts us back to 29.5 million in cap space.

+++

Departures

Blake Martinez: I just can't write a 10million AAV contract to an ILB.

gettiop8vtn7hussbe5e

Tramon Williams: I need the young DBs to play. You're a ticking time bomb and I don't want to write a multi-year contract.

mgqwekdslpreblzzeqop

Jared Veldheer: I think you're cooked.

crl5pqlblf98eaibl5g3

Geronimo Allison: You picked a bad year to stop being cheap. Good luck in future endeavors.

ew6ufx6flfhqixack9zs

Jason Spriggs: I at least make the call and ask if he will come back for the vet minimum. I just don't see it happening. He probably wants to GTFO of dodge.

ihmkjoutbmcayua9bjgg

Kyler Fackrell: I have to live and die with the Smith/Smith/Gary trio, no matter how much I don't like it. Go make your money elsewhere.

krfiruzwaluc3iocxbgg

+++

Free Agent Acquisitions:

Nick Kwiatkoski (3/18/5.5) - Martinez is going to walk. I can't have Goodson or a rookie trying to run this defense as the lone ILB. You need to go get somebody. The Bears aren't going to want to pay market value on a guy with Roquan Smith and Kevin Pierre Louis in place, even if they don't bring back Trevathan also.

nf0mjj8pobed2xqufdyc

Down to 24 million. 

+++

Resignings:

Bryan Bulaga (4/40/8.5) - 10 million per year ties Bulaga with the 5th highest RT pay. You can't downgrade a premium offensive position at this point in Rodgers career arc. It's a painful risk of a contract, but it's also probably fair and what it takes to get it done. Pray like hell his knees hold up.

wliprlk9mmq2tmevrgav

Mason Crosby (3/12/3.5) -4 million per year ties Crosby with the 9th highest K pay. Downgrading your kicker at this point is extremely dangerous. I think you have to overpay a bit for the stability that Crosby offers.

n7ieqjr45rvusyxsgjuf

Marcedes Lewis (2/6/2.5) - 3 million per year is just fine for veteran TE blocking money. He's a good fit in this offense and a huge part of the running game right now. 

cfktuk0e5kgtaoa8dwyx

Danny Vitale (1/1/1) - 1 million per year for the FB. LaFleur wants a FB, fine, here's your stupid FB.

qhozgsrni3jw2ob9qaof

Ibraheim Campbell (1/.82/.82) - 820k vet minimum for Campbell. He's a decent enough Dime DB and a contributing ST guy. We play enough Dime that the Dime DB matters.

wionodwrwhri5zzaj4hp

BJ Goodson (1/.82/.82) - 820k vet minimum for Goodson. With Martinez departing, some carryover at the position is important and Goodson isn't completely worthless in this defense like he would be in some others. 

jhtx2apj5ne6whucihsk

Tyler Ervin (1/.82/.82) 820k vet minimum for Ervin. The Return game value is enough to get this done.

skxiymbxbdd6kw7bvxf6

Lucas Patrick (2/4/1.5) - You need an interior sub and Patrick is adequate.

qy0i422w0xu5glhnnmbr

EFRA Resignings:

Tonyan/Kumerow/Lancaster/Brown/Johnson (1/.66/.66) - They cost nothing. Might as well bring them to camp.

28 - CB Tony Brown16 - WR Jake Kumerow95 - DL Tyler Lancaster85 - TE Robert Tonyan

Sullivan/Lazard (1/.59/.59) - They cost nothing. Might as well bring them to camp.

39 - CB Chandon Sullivan13 - WR Allen Lazard

Out of money

+++

Draft:

1. Javon Kinlaw (DT-South Carolina) 

I need something more than Lowry/Lancaster. Kinlaw is the big long strong body that this defense requires up front. He'll bring some juice.

2. Tyler Johnson (WR-Minnesota)

The offense needs a bump. ILB has been taken care of in FA and there's not **** left at CB or DT at this point.

3. Brycen Hopkins (TE-Purdue)

Here's another long athletic TE with questionable blocking. One of these dudes is eventually going to hit.

4. Shyheim Carter (S-Alabama)

My attempt at upgrading the Dime Safety. Sullivan/Campbell/Greene is a nice plate of JAGs.

5. Charles Lucas (CB-Arizona State)

https://thesundevils.com/sports/football/roster/chase-lucas/8543

Another CB to throw into the Brown/Hollman/Sullivan #3 CB competition.

6. Shaun Bradley (ILB-Temple)

https://owlsports.com/sports/football/roster/shaun-bradley/11330

Let's challenge Goodson/Burks for that #2 ILB spot.

7a. Quartney Davis (WR-Texas A&M)

https://12thman.com/sports/football/roster/quartney-davis/7220

Double dipping on WRs. Let's get some more bodies in this competition.

7b. D'Ante Smith (OT-East Carolina)

https://ecupirates.com/sports/football/roster/d-ante-smith/10296

College Tackle who's likely a pro Guard and will need a year to grow into it. Plus I was breaking out into hives drafting all these little people.

+++

Depth Chart:

Offense (24)

QB: Rodgers/Boyle

RB: Jones/Williams/Williams/Cheap UDFA

WR: Adams/Johnson/Lazard/MVS/EQ/Kumerow

FB: Vitale

TE: Lewis/Hopkins/Tonyan/Sternberger

OT: Bakhtiari/Bulaga/Light/Smith

OG: Jenkins/Turner/Patrick

OC: Linsley

Defense (26)

DT: Clark/Kinlaw/Lowry/Lancaster/Keke/Adams

OLB: Smith/Smith/Gary/Cheap UDFA

ILB: Kwiatkoski/Goodson/Burks/Bradley

CB: Alexander/King/Lucas/Brown/Hollman/Sullivan

S: Amos/Savage/Carter/Greene/Campbell

ST (3)

P: Scott

LS: Hunter

K: Crosby

• Like 3

:) I love the casual comments......

I think you're cooked.
You picked a bad year to stop being cheap.
Go make your money elsewhere.
LaFleur wants a FB, fine, here's your stupid FB.
TE - One of these dudes is eventually going to hit.
Sullivan/Campbell/Greene is a nice plate of JAGs.

:) Well done.

• Like 2

WR group scares the hell out of me. It's the same group plus a rookie that we aren't sure how long is going to take to gel. I know the money is going to be tight but I think you need to throw offers out the the Agholor, Funchess, Higgins, DeMarcus Robinson, Tajae Sharpe, Phillip Dorsett group and hope one or two bite at 1 yr 3-4 mil. We're too late in Rodgers career to be carrying over 9m, that's a high level starter. I'd like to see it come down to 3-4m of emergency money. Start to build this thing like Denver for that 3-4 year window. Cap hell afterward is fine, will help us tank for a new QB.

Draft is fantastic. Don't think those top 3 slide to those spots if they draft is tomorrow, but mocks this time last year had a consensus of Jochai Polite for us so I'll never argue too hard on positioning.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm irritated with this btw. That's still a 10-6 depth chart with good health and luck. Unless you get super lucky in either this or last year's draft, I don't know how you push this roster to the next level. 

Well you've got time....work on it :)

We need a *top notch* WR across from Davante.

I dont care how we have to do it - we just have to do it. Period. Over draft the guy if necessary. Be unconventional. Steal him. We need one. Get him.

And we need SOMETHING from the TE postion. It's ridiculous how little we get from that group. Every Sunday I see loads of other teams chucking it all over to TE's. Our guys? Nothing. 

Just now, Leader said:

We need a *top notch* WR across from Davante.

I dont care how we have to do it - we just have to do it. Period. Over draft the guy if necessary. Be unconventional. Steal him. We need one. Get him.

And we need SOMETHING from the TE postion. It's ridiculous how little we get from that group. Every Sunday I see loads of other teams chucking it all over to TE's. Our guys? Nothing. 

Going to be tough, you trade for OBJ and bring back Bulaga and that's it money wise. Burks is your starting ILB and Tonyan is your TE.

Maybe some sort of modest priced, good WR becomes available, but I doubt it. The vets in FA Sanders and Green are just more Jimmy Graham's. Going to be paid big for the downside of their career.

Best approach is to draft 2 and signs some crappy FAs with ability that were stuck in bad offense. Throw it all at the wall and hope something sticks.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Going to be tough, you trade for OBJ and bring back Bulaga and that's it money wise. Burks is your starting ILB and Tonyan is your TE.

Maybe some sort of modest priced, good WR becomes available, but I doubt it. The vets in FA Sanders and Green are just more Jimmy Graham's. Going to be paid big for the downside of their career.

Best approach is to draft 2 and signs some crappy FAs with ability that were stuck in bad offense. Throw it all at the wall and hope something sticks.

Over draft the bastard. Get me a Hollywood Brown. Kidnap him. Steal him from Europe.

I dont care. We need him. We've been needing him. Our offense is running on fumes! Feels like we've got a bunch of misfit toys out there.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Over draft the bastard. Get me a Hollywood Brown. Kidnap him. Steal him from Europe.

I dont care. We need him. We've been needing him. Our offense is running on fumes! Feels like we've got a bunch of misfit toys out there.

Will definitely have a chance to take a very quality WR in round 1. This is the best draft class I've seen at WR since 2014. Packers FO hasn't taken that position in Rd 1 since Javon Walker though, so don't hold your breath.

Just now, Leader said:

So draft him in round 1 and you don't have your DT. 

Trade next year's 1st? If Rodgers tears his ACL in week 3 are we not taking a shot at Trevor Lawrence?

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Will definitely have a chance to take a very quality WR in round 1. This is the best draft class I've seen at WR since 2014. Packers FO hasn't taken that position in Rd 1 since Javon Walker though, so don't hold your breath.

Then lets do it. Toss out the mid-western "prudent thing to do" thinking and swing for the GD fences.