GDT - Week 2: Washington Redskins at Los Angeles Rams

Ghostnote

Well, the first week hopefully shook off the rust and our guys realized this ain't Kansas anymore. 

The Redskins travel to beautiful Los Angeles to play the Rams, coached by the former OC of the Redskins, Sean McVay. That means, we should know everything about his offense and should have an idea of how things are going to run. 

5WhSykyX.jpg

1. Shut down the run. Easier said than done, but Todd Gurley has not looked all that good. 19 carries for 40 yards. 2.1 ypc. The Redskins always have a tendency to make average players look like HoF's. Especially rookie QB's. Gurley has experience, but he needs to be shut down to make their offense 1 dimensional. 

pressure.jpg?itok=Q9uhEqey

2. Get pressure. Something the Colts could not do. This defense needs to be aggressive and get after Jared Goff. Their offensive line has been weak but their test in the first week against the Colts was not much more than a Varsity scrimmage. Test that offensive line and make Goff feel the heat. 

thirdDown.jpg

3. Limit the 3rd down conversions. Time and time again, the Redskins seem to play a loose coverage defense on 3rd and w/e or they blitz everybody which leaves an easy checkdown uncovered. The Redskins defense showed more grit in getting after Wentz and that offensive line, which is much better than the Rams offensive line. 

Related image

4. Turnovers. Much like the game against the Eagles, the defense needed the pick 6 by Kerrigan to set the tone. There were other opportunities for the defense to capitalize on turnovers such as Norman on the first deep ball or Breeland in the jump ball with Jeffrey. If the Redskins can get a couple of turnovers and actually get points from those turnovers, this game becomes a lot easier. 

redskins-offensive-line-pregame-det-2016-660-350.jpg

5. Offensive line. PLEASE READ:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

r89950_576x324_16-9.jpg

6. Would the Real Josh Doctson please show up?  Lost in translation was that of Josh Doctson. He bore the jersey that says 18 yet, he seemed to fade into the sunset on just about every play. These days are over Mr. Doctson, its time to show that what you do in practice can translate to the field. If you are healthy, you should be calling for the ball and letting Kirk know that you are open. Muscle up buttercup. Time to take off the training wheels. 

Washington-Redskins-Cheerleaders-in-White.jpg

Beautiful Redskins Cheerleaders 4K Wallpaper

7. Cheerleaders. I don't think they cheer hard enough or really allow themselves to be seen in that positive light we as fans need to see them in. 

redskins-2.png   12.png 

redskinsvgb0365a.jpg?itok=obeWrJ66&timestamp=1503200210

Summary:

While I would like to think it comes down to the Cheerleaders and their on-field performance, I think they will do just fine. Add all of the other pieces of the puzzle to the maze and well you have a square peg in a round hole. Bill Callahan needs to start earning his money and get this offensive line on track. The running game is what it is. I can't suggest anything to improve it other than the offensive line needs to start raging like the dying light. Doctson needs to show up. Turnovers need to happen and this team needs to win convincingly to solidify a little confidence moving forward. 

It is a road trip to Los Angeles and the time difference is a stretch. The Redskins are the better team. Without Aaron Donald, that defense does not look half as scary. 

Prediction:

wpid-redskins-logo.jpeg?w=645    - 23

los_angeles_rams.png   - 20

Great job Mike23! 

I got the skins 27- Rams 24

I think we'll put the same pressure on goff that we did on Wentz, only goff isn't as athletic as Wentz. Goff is more like Cousins, sneaky athletic but not someone who could probably be a wr too. Wentz reminds me of a better version of Tanehill

The Rams OL is not as good as the Eagles but I think McVay will go quick game most of the game. It's imperative that that our D tackles well. 

On offense, Kirk just needs to take what's there and move the chains before going 15-20 or more yards downfield to Pryor.

I get this strange feeling that Kirk & TP have this secret pact that they're going to work together to get each other the largest contracts at their position.

I've seen numerous film clips from beat reporters and bloggers and listened to Cooley and Kirk seems to be passing up short to intermediate routes to go 15-20 yards or more downfield to TP.

On the int KC almost threw to I think Hicks, KC was late to throw to Pryor. Pryor had a corner to the left of him - he was open for a second - KC stared him down and Hicks and the safety all started to go towards Pryor.

There were 2 ppl in the backfield on that play next to KC. I think Thompson and Reed, both leaked out and were open w/o a defender w/in 5 yards if then. If he goes to them, they get 10--15 or more yards.

Crowder was surrounded in the middle of the field.

On the left side/top of the screen whomever it was they were wide open and ran a better route than Pryor did. I think it was Grant but it may have been Doctson.

KC didn't even look at all the wise open receivers, he predetermined he was going to Pryor and with TP getting 11 targets, it seemed like that all day.

This game terrifies me.  Not just because there is zero chance of making the playoffs if we lose, but because I'm going to this game and I have a substantial bet on the outcome with the Rams fans I'm going with.  I made the bet in the offseason.  Really wish I could take it back, but I'm not going to do that.  Just have to pray the Redskins don't let me down for once.

Has anyone done research on whether Jay Gruden, as an OC or HC, has ever beaten a Wade Phillips' coached defense?  That's what worries me most about this game.  I get the feeling Wade owns Jay (and it's only going to be magnified with McVay giving him inside info), but I haven't looked into it yet.

1 hour ago, mar29020 said:

i think we win this one. goff isnt that good and jay knows how mccvay likes to call plays.

If he knows this, then wouldn't our offense be better considering the last 2 seasons with Sean McVay calling the plays, the offense was above average?

Logic would say that Jay could call the plays just like McVay did. Should be seamless right?

Archived