GDT - Week 2: Washington Redskins at Los Angeles Rams

Ghostnote

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Why might we be worried?

1. The Redskins offense is broken down jalopy that looks completely out of sorts.
  2. The Skins have no semblance of a running game.
  3. The Rams defense was already formidable last year. And they went and added one of the best defensive coordinators in the game.
  4. Oh, and their best defensive player decided to stop his holdout just in time to play this Sunday.
  5. Points #3 and #4 make point #2 a real problem for the Skins offensive line, which has looked like swiss cheese so far this season (both in preseason and in Week 1).
  6. The former OC (and perhaps real quarterback whisperer) is now the opposition's head coach.
  7. The Rams rookie QB that everyone panned last year now looks to be competent (see point #6).
  8. The Rams now have competent weapons on offense surrounding said QB unlike under the Fisher regime.
  9. The Redskins are traveling to the West Coast. Traditionally, teams have not fared well when they do the three timezone switch.

That's just off the top of my head. Anyone else got anything?

If Reed is asked to stay in and block or if he's doubled, Cousins struggles if his other options don't win immediately. IMO asking Redd to stay in and block is useless: 1. He's not good at it 2. It takes Cousins' #1 target out of the play.

If the Rams move Quinn to rush against Moses, which they likely will do, I'd suggest having Reed inline instead of lined up in the slot and have him chip Quinn before he goes out for his pattern, that will give Cousins an extra second or so and frankly, Gruden and Callahan should have made that adjustment last week. If Reed had been used to chip Graham last week, possibly it's a different outcome at the end of the game.

On September 15, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Dashing202 said:

Luckily for us the eagles and cowboys play two tough teams (broncos/Chiefs) so if we win this game we will be tired  for first  place in the division . I see the eagles losing and the Cowboys possibly.

Well, not exactly because out of us 3 teams, were the only one who's 0-1 in the division 

52 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

QB - lets realize that how Cousins played vs the Eagles 240 yds, 1 TD & 1 int - is his FLOOR! Not his ceiling. 

Jordan Reed & Vernon Davis are both better than your starting TE.

While I think Trumaine Johnson is a great corner, I think it's pretty clear the Redskins have a better group of corners with Norman, Breeland and Fuller.

Our offensive line is better. We had one player who had a really bad game last week - Morgan Moses - but we had our All-Pro LT have a great game as well as our pro bowl RG and our other two interior OL played at what they are - average.

Okay, you have QB, OL, TE, and CB. That doesn't strike me as a definitively better roster if that's it. I don't expect there's any debate that the Rams have the better defense and special teams. I also expect there's no debate that the Redskins have the better offense. At this point in time, the question becomes how much has the Redskins offense declined due to your losses and how much has the Rams offense gained due to our gains. I guess that answer will become more apparent later today.

50 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Okay, you have QB, OL, TE, and CB. That doesn't strike me as a definitively better roster if that's it. I don't expect there's any debate that the Rams have the better defense and special teams. I also expect there's no debate that the Redskins have the better offense. At this point in time, the question becomes how much has the Redskins offense declined due to your losses and how much has the Rams offense gained due to our gains. I guess that answer will become more apparent later today.

Wasn't your question what positions do the Redskins have that are better? That's all I was answering.

I agree the teams are about equal considering our strengths are your weaknesses and vice versa. It's basically a wash.

Another question is was last week an aberration for the Rams considering they faced one of the least talented rosters in the NFL?

On 9/15/2017 at 7:22 PM, Woz said:

Here's the problem with that: after Sunday, the season is 12.5% complete. The bye week comes after 25% of the season is done. No NFL team has the luxury to "give it some to gel" unless you are in year one of a rebuild. Which we are not. That's next year.

I think he means give our passing game time to good to great like it was last year. We can still be good or average in the passing game and win if our D plays like it did last week or even better.

Lets not forget that in 2015 when we didn't have Djax for 1/2 the year we still were an average team and that was with a horrible defense. 

Gruden has to find a way to get Reed the ball more and Cousins needs to find Crowder, deliver the ball on time and step into his throws.

I'm sure Cousins looked at the film last week and was disgusted with himself because he missed some things that were open, he didn't get the ball out on time and didn't step into many of his throws including the int to Crowder at the 5 which, if it's delivered on time and if Cousins steps into the throw we probably beat the Eagles.

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The Rams might be better than the Eagles. The Redskins might be a bad team. The Rams might be a great team. The Redskins might be a great team. The Rams might be a bad team. We've only had one week of action. Nobody really knows. Neither of our teams have a proven elite QB. Neither of us have any idea how good our team is. We're two of the many in this league that could end up anywhere from picking top 10 to in the playoffs.

What I can say is that if you think you're playing the 2016 Rams, you're sorely mistaken. Jeff Fisher is no longer the HC. Rob Boras is no longer the OC. The Rams actually have WRs now. And the Rams OL has gotten fortified a bit. This Rams team has an offense. I don't know how good of an offense, but it's not the same team as last year that couldn't find the end-zone with a map and a compass. And Wade Phillips is Wade Phillips.

As for the Redskins roster being better, that's debatable. I'm actually curious where you see the clear advantages for the Redskins' roster (other than at QB).

Our wr core is better dude lol we have two wr that hit 1000 yards last season you have basically Watkins and that's it .

your wr core young but way to unproven ..the skins have a better roster even our linebacker core debatably as good as yoursn. The only thing Rams have better truly is the DL ... that's the honest truth ATM .

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The redskins offense can be better than last year we have just been injured .

admitley tho I see us having a losing record if we lose today .

I don't get why Rams fans "come all in up here and Woff Woff" about their crapper of a team. Doc's rule 14- only redskins fans can take shots at our team. Fans of  Crapper teams like the Rams shouldn't be boasting as they have been hiding under a rock for years 

2 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Our wr core is better dude lol we have two wr that hit 1000 yards last season you have basically Watkins and that's it .

your wr core young but way to unproven ..the skins have a better roster even our linebacker core debatably as good as yoursn. The only thing Rams have better truly is the DL ... that's the honest truth ATM .

Those 2 WRs aren't on the team anymore. The Rams have Watkins, Tavon Austin who's Crowder like but faster and Cooper Kupp.

Nome of our new WRs stepped last week and Reed was a non-factor. If Pryor doesn't play better and Kirk can't deliver it to Crowder and Reed on time, we won't win because our run game is really bad at the moment.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Those 2 WRs aren't on the team anymore. The Rams have Watkins, Tavon Austin who's Crowder like but faster and Cooper Kupp.

Nome of our new WRs stepped last week and Reed was a non-factor. If Pryor doesn't play better and Kirk can't deliver it to Crowder and Reed on time, we won't win because our run game is really bad at the moment.

Tavon Austin sucks. He's a top 10 pick who's never had over 510 receiving yards.  He's not Crowder-like at all. Crowder is way better. Their best receiver is a guy who hasn't been healthy in two years and Robert Woods is basically a decent third option. Kupp has some potential but that's all he is, much like Doctson. I'd be willing to say our receivers are a wash and as far as TEs go, Reed is basically the third or fourth best TE in the league so we don't really need to go there. 

I'd say their defense is light years better than ours. And considering they were actually smart enough to hire Wade Phillips unlike this dumb organization, it's only going to get better. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Tavon Austin sucks. He's a top 10 pick who's never had over 510 receiving yards.  He's not Crowder-like at all. Crowder is way better. Their best receiver is a guy who hasn't been healthy in two years and Robert Woods is basically a decent third option. Kupp has some potential but that's all he is, much like Doctson. I'd be willing to say our receivers are a wash and as far as TEs go, Reed is basically the third or fourth best TE in the league so we don't really need to go there. 

I'd say their defense is light years better than ours. And considering they were actually smart enough to hire Wade Phillips unlike this dumb organization, it's only going to get better. 

You should have said Tavon Austin sucked in the Jeff Fisher style offense. He'll be better now because McVay will put him in positions to succeed.

Also don't forget at times he's been used as a running back and he's a good return man.

I totally agree he was overdrafted, I said that on draft day but we need to see what Austin does in a good passing offense with a good passing game coordinator putting him in position to succeed.

He had 1 catch for 7 yards last week. Now unless he got hurt I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's being phased out. He's a gadget player and simply doesn't have the size or the talent of an Antonio Brown to make up for it. Obviously Jrry32 can answer that better but he just doesn't seem to be anywhere close to what the Rams anticipated when drafting him. 

Archived