Week 16 GDT - Rams @ 49ers

Forge

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

I was very very very disappointed in Saleh that Moore only played 1 snap on Sunday. just one. Harris was better but still a liability in coverage and in the run game. Moore played earlier in the year and was fine. Not sure why he wasn't even given like 20% of the snaps just to get some film out there for the coaches to evaluate going into this week.

I also hate the idea of 'we run cover 3 so that's what we run' mentality. We needed to run some cover 2 against julio. That never happened. 

The Falcons constantly targeted Harris. Whatever side of the field he was on, regardless of the corner, they were going to that side of the field. Harris was involved in so many plays, and not because he was Johnny on the spot, it was because they knew he was the weakest link in the secondary.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The Falcons constantly targeted Harris. Whatever side of the field he was on, regardless of the corner, they were going to that side of the field. Harris was involved in so many plays, and not because he was Johnny on the spot, it was because they knew he was the weakest link in the secondary.

That was clearly the saints game plan as well. 

over and over and over both teams went after him, yet Saleh never adjusted or did anything to counter act it. 

Its such a simple ****ing change that I can't believe its not even something we are giving a look to. @Forge and I said it the moment it was announced tartt was going to be out, yet we aren't ****ing doing **** to fix it

infuriating 

• Like 1

Just now, N4L said:

That was clearly the saints game plan as well. 

over and over and over both teams went after him, yet Saleh never adjusted or did anything to counter act it. 

Its such a simple ****ing change that I can't believe its not even something we are giving a look to. @Forge and I said it the moment it was announced tartt was going to be out, yet we aren't ****ing doing **** to fix it

infuriating 

I'm pretty sure that he was also the person that missed the tackle on Julio during the final drive that resulted in about a 25 yard game. I would have to recheck, however

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty sure that he was also the person that missed the tackle on Julio during the final drive that resulted in about a 25 yard game. I would have to recheck, however

I was hoping Julio would score on that play tbh so we would have time left. Worked in new Orleans lol 

I piled on Harris hard in the Saints game, and I thought rightfully so, but I feel like you guys are taking it too far right now. He didn't play bad against the Falcons at all. Was he perfect? No, but he had two PDs and tackled fairly well. I know just because Julio had a big game it makes it seem like our pass defense was crap, but Ryan barely threw for over 200 yards and had less than a 6 YPA. The problem at times was communication and the big PI call that pretty much gave the Falcons a gimme TD. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I piled on Harris hard in the Saints game, and I thought rightfully so, but I feel like you guys are taking it too far right now. He didn't play bad against the Falcons at all. Was he perfect? No, but he had two PDs and tackled fairly well. I know just because Julio had a big game it makes it seem like our pass defense was crap, but Ryan barely threw for over 200 yards and had less than a 6 YPA. The problem at times was communication and the big PI call that pretty much gave the Falcons a gimme TD. 

Glad somebody said it...

Because we didn't hold them to 130 yards passing and didn't have like 6 sacks, ppl want to circle the wagons and trash the defense, saying this player is garbage and so on. I thought Harris played a solid game as well. His missed tackle on Julio on the final drive infuriated me because that's two weeks in a row that he's thrown his body at a WR w/o wrapping up and securing the tackle and the WR broke off some rac after a big reception. Coaches in the DB room should be holding him accountable for that imo. But other than that, I thought he played more sound than he did against the Saints and made his fair share of plays.

Considering all the starters and depth that was missing, I thought the defense had a pretty good outing. Just couldn't get the stops on that last drive that we have become accustomed to. 

52 minutes ago, N4L said:

I was very very very disappointed in Saleh that Moore only played 1 snap on Sunday. just one. Harris was better but still a liability in coverage and in the run game. Moore played earlier in the year and was fine. Not sure why he wasn't even given like 20% of the snaps just to get some film out there for the coaches to evaluate going into this week.

I also hate the idea of 'we run cover 3 so that's what we run' mentality. We needed to run some cover 2 against julio. That never happened. 

Moore was far from fine. Just because we won doesn't mean he didn't make his share of mistakes as well. He has his warts too. He's range is incredible but his angles to the ball are dreadful at timee and his ability to diagnose the run and tackle leaves alot to be desired. If he were clearly better than Harris, they would have him on the field. 

Both Harris and Moore are both still young and taking their lumps. I don't see one being clearly better than the other. They're both second year players. Did you all forget how Tartt and Ward looked as second year players? Development takes time. I KNOW its frustrating watching young guys make mistakes you feel like they shouldn't. But this is who we have...just have to weather the storm until our starters are healthy again. 

I felt like we played gutless football when it counts, and that this is a growing trend. Too soft to allow our rush to get there, and too inept to counter what is thrown at us. 

That's just how it seems to me, though admittedly, I have not had many chances to revisit the games later. 

I would say more, but frankly, I have no desire to rehash this game. If not for Kittle.. we'd have been spanked worse.  Any way it's sliced, it was an embarrassing display of offense and defense.. from a team spoken of as potentially the NFC's best. against a bad team. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Glad somebody said it...

Because we didn't hold them to 130 yards passing and didn't have like 6 sacks, ppl want to circle the wagons and trash the defense, saying this player is garbage and so on. I thought Harris played a solid game as well. His missed tackle on Julio on the final drive infuriated me because that's two weeks in a row that he's thrown his body at a WR w/o wrapping up and securing the tackle and the WR broke off some rac after a big reception. Coaches in the DB room should be holding him accountable for that imo. But other than that, I thought he played more sound than he did against the Saints and made his fair share of plays.

Considering all the starters and depth that was missing, I thought the defense had a pretty good outing. Just couldn't get the stops on that last drive that we have become accustomed to. 

The defense just has been super unclutch the last two weeks. Up 9 in both games and have allowed four TDs in the final stanza which just cannot happen. But that's also what happens when you lose all your DL depth and are dealing with as many injuries as we are. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Glad somebody said it...

I mean, nobody commented on the team defense as a whole. The comments were directed at Harris...who once again missed a huge tackle, as you alluded to. He's not as good in coverage as Moore, doesn't have the range. The one thing that he would supposedly have on Moore is that Moore isn't a very good tackler, but spoiler alert, Harris isn't a good tackler either. I don't disagree with you about Moore's problems - we have commented on them on the podcast during the first two weeks when he played. 

So if that is going to be the case, give me the guy that has the better range, the coverage ability because I'm going to suffer through the poor tackling either way. This isn't a new thing for Harris...I believe he had the 4th most missed tackles last year on the team despite only starting 5 games. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The defense just has been super unclutch the last two weeks. Up 9 in both games and have allowed four TDs in the final stanza which just cannot happen. But that's also what happens when you lose all your DL depth and are dealing with as many injuries as we are. 

Teams have also adjusted. That has to be acknowledged at some point. Teams are getting the ball out so quickly against us now. I believe Matt Ryan held on to the football from snap to throw shorter than anyone else in football last week. I am almost positive that I read that somewhere, though I'm unable to find it right now. 

Also, just some regression with regards to luck. An easy pick for Warner is broken up by his own teammate. Another ill advised pass by Ryan where he got hit and basically just lobbed something into the middle of the field (no idea what he was thinking), and we just happen not to have anyone at that precise location. It's a pass that would be intercepted a lot. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Teams have also adjusted. That has to be acknowledged at some point. Teams are getting the ball out so quickly against us now. I believe Matt Ryan held on to the football from snap to throw shorter than anyone else in football last week. I am almost positive that I read that somewhere, though I'm unable to find it right now. 

Also, just some regression with regards to luck. An easy pick for Warner is broken up by his own teammate. Another ill advised pass by Ryan where he got hit and basically just lobbed something into the middle of the field (no idea what he was thinking), and we just happen not to have anyone at that precise location. It's a pass that would be intercepted a lot. 

Yep, 2.32 seconds he's gotten rid of the ball.

But not having our top guns in the secondary have also hurt. Williams/Sherman/Tartt all missed all those drives or close to all those drives where we have struggled in the 4th quarter. Saleh will need to adjust some but just having solid communication will make up for some of the big gains we have allowed. 

• Like 2

And another thing, with all these quick passes, this is where we need Ford desperately. He's a pure speed rusher and even if a QB wants to get rid of it quickly, he can still wreck havoc. And he just fits so well this DL with all the interior pressure we get. Damn shame he has been hurt for damn the entire season. 

• Like 1

I guess I'm still not over the Falcons game.  I know everyone is all "We are still in control over our own destiny," but the heck with that talk.  We played a bad team and should have won it pretty handily. We win that game and we have a cushion for a division game next and if the Seahawks were to have lost another game, we wouldn't even need to win week 17 if we won both the Falcons and Rams games.

Can't change the past, though.  I'll get over it before the Rams game, I'm sure.  Hope to get some players back from injury and win out.  I don't like our chances at all at 5th seed. 

• Like 2