Week 16 GDT - Rams @ 49ers

Forge

35 minutes ago, N4L said:

Mcvay had a really good gameplan tonight. Our defense was not ready for what they wanted to do to us. I blame Saleh for not being prepared but I give him credit for making adjustments and forcing the Rams to change what they were doing. Goff has a slow release and when he is hurried he is inaccurate. They got him on the edge and found holes in the zone. It was smart. It took us waaaay too long to tell the DE not to crash down on the run fake and to play contain. Once we started doing that, the Rams couldn't do much. 

so, Saleh gets credit for making adjustments but also deserves blame for the bad gameplan. 

Spoon will be ok. Tough night for him but the Rams did a good job of identifying man/zone and then beating us with good route combinations. He's not the corner you want running across the field in man coverage against kupp. 

The thing I love about Garoppolo is that no matter how poorly he's played, he can shake it off and make clutch plays when needed

Spoon definitely struggles when he is off man and has to defend crossers or slants. That's not his game. He needs to be either closer to the LOS or play on the outside. But disappointing performance from him for sure, hopefully he bounces back next week. And matching up with someone like Metcalf will suit his game bettere. 

Our LBs need to quit letting receivers get behind them and need to be more alert in their zones. Greenlaw reacted way too slow a few times and Harris misplayed a few plays as well. I have no idea why our edge defenders kept crashing down on the RB and letting Goff get to edge. 

Overall I'm happy this team is having to win these close games or are just playing in these types of games. Will need to come up big in the playoffs. This team has been in EVERY game until the end this season.

This team reminds me of the Saints from 09 where they started 13-0 and lost the last three games of the regular season. They started to have some injuries and their play regressed some before turning it back up in the postseason.

Just get that #1 seed and get our guys back healthy and we will have a good shot at reaching the SB. 

• Like 1

Jimmy G before the last two drives:

10-19 114 yards, 2 INTs

Jimmy G in the last two drives:

6-8 134 yards 1 TD

Dude really has that IDGAF type of attitude and is hardly ever rattled. He needs to obviously clean up some of his decision making and that goes without saying, but love how he almost always comes up in the clutch. 

Shanahan needs to figure out a way to adjust from what defenses are starting to do with getting their corners at the LOS against our WRs and taking away the middle of the field. If the solution is using more three WR sets or taking more shots, do whatever he has to do. Can't just rely on an offense that doesn't stretch the entire field and doesn't threat defenses vertical. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Spoon definitely struggles when he is off man and has to defend crossers or slants. That's not his game. He needs to be either closer to the LOS or play on the outside. But disappointing performance from him for sure, hopefully he bounces back next week. And matching up with someone like Metcalf will suit his game bettere. 

Yep, this was exactly my point. Bad gameplan (asking him to do something he's not good at) had him on his heels all game. Part of the reason I wanted to play some cover 2 is to put him in bump and run. He's better closer to the LOS 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Divisonal games are tough no doubt, but our defense has been shredded for nearly 3 weeks now. They had Goff looking like Drew Brees back there. ZERO sacks in 2 out of our last 3 games. Shanny has kinda of lost his way as far as the play-calling. We're in shotgun way too much for my liking. Some of the personnel is puzzling....we just have alot of things that are starting to worry me as we try to close out this season. 

Agreed. More and more he's been getting away from the running the football. It's going to cost us.

BTW They need to extend Sherm now. Not many dudes can come back from a Grade 2 hamstring strain after one game and this guy still played well.

Edited by Swift21

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Shanahan needs to figure out a way to adjust from what defenses are starting to do with getting their corners at the LOS against our WRs and taking away the middle of the field. If the solution is using more three WR sets or taking more shots, do whatever he has to do. Can't just rely on an offense that doesn't stretch the entire field and doesn't threat defenses vertical. 

Point blank, get out of the freakin shotgun on every critical play. We should be doing what McVay was doing to us....boots and rollouts. It should be a part of EVERY gameplan. You can't just drop straight back in shotgun 30 times a game, only to target the middle of the field. Jimmy has to expand his comfort zone and go outside the numbers and Shanny needs to get his QB back under center and build off the run game and play-action. He's fallen in-love with the shotgun. It has its place in the scheme but its becoming way to predictable. The defense knows EXCATLY where Jimmy's going to be on every 3rd down play, over 5 yards. 

And we're starting to rely on Kittle a little too much as well. He should be a decoy on alot of these inside-breaking routes. One thing I loved about Shanny was that even with a monster like Kittle at his disposal, he still spread the ball around and used the whole field in terms of the passing game. He's gotten away from that here lately.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Point blank, get out of the freakin shotgun on every critical play. We should be doing what McVay was doing to us....boots and rollouts. It should be a part of EVERY gameplan. You can't just drop straight back in shotgun 30 times a game, only to target the middle of the field. Jimmy has to expand his comfort zone and go outside the numbers and Shanny needs to get his QB back under center and build off the run game and play-action. He's fallen in-love with the shotgun. It has its place in the scheme but its becoming way to predictable. The defense knows EXCATLY where Jimmy's going to be on every 3rd down play, over 5 yards. 

And we're starting to rely on Kittle a little too much as well. He should be a decoy on alot of these inside-breaking routes. One thing I loved about Shanny was that even with a monster like Kittle at his disposal, he still spread the ball around and used the whole field in terms of the passing game. He's gotten away from that here lately.

I remember seeing some stats where Jimmy was much better out of the shotgun but I honestly think one of the reasons for this is he doesn't quite trust the interior OL and doesn't think they will hold up enough to run his patented play actions. But sure, I'd like to see some more plays with Jimmy under center, but that's not going to entirely fix out issues. Throwing outside the numbers more and stretching the field will help greatly though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

The niners loss to the Falcons I thought gave Min the advantage?

Believe that it does. Third tie breaker is common opponents. Vikings would have the lead there. 

Wins against Atlanta, Washington, Packers, losses against Seattle and the Packers. 3-2.

49ers would have wins against Packers and Washington, but losses against Atlanta, Seattle, and Seattle. 2-3. 

I'm assuming teams played twice still count

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know how Jimmy got it to Sanders with him getting his arm hit as he threw it. But my goodness did Mostert whiff on his block. What the hell was that? Why was he in the game there over Coleman?

And this another one of my issues...

I understand Morstert has had the 'hot hand' as far as the RBs go but where was Brieda? Is he hurt?

I don't mind Morstert getting more touches but he shouldn't be the primary ball-carrier. He was thriving in his role as the change-of-pace guy. He had two good games and now he's the de facto starter?? I just think that's jumping the gun. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Breida  should still be getting run and a majority of the carriers IF he's healthy. I think he has earned that. And he's a much better runner inside the tackles than Morstert and could do more with those carries imo. He should have been on the field more. 

Edited by 757-NINER

I just saw a highlight of mcglinchey trying to crip walk with sourdough sam. hilarious. I love the guys on this team. So many big personalities but not in the way that they have big egos. These guys love each other and know the opportunity we have this year, but also have fun with it. Its a great balance and these guys really love each other. 

How huge was that dwelly catch btw

Also, side note - I heard a radio interview with Sanders the other day. Greg Papa asked him how he liked the bay area and if he wanted to live here long term. Sanders said without hesitation that he and his wife love the bay area and that he plans on living here after he retires. He added that even if hes not here next year that he will be coming back when hes done playing. I love our chances to re-sign him. I think we can offer him a reasonable amount of money and he will take it. He is a great mentor for deebo. Kittle sanders samuel hurd taylor is a good set of weapons that all bring different things to the table. Add some OL depth and give garoppolo some experience ... we are going to continue to score a ton of points next year and beyond

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I understand Morstert has had the 'hot hand' as far as the RBs go but where was Brieda? Is he hurt?

I don't mind Morstert getting more touches but he shouldn't be the primary ball-carrier. He was thriving in his role as the change-of-pace guy. He had two good games and now he's the de facto starter?? I just think that's jumping the gun. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Breida  should still be getting run and a majority of the carriers IF he's healthy. I think he has earned that. And he's a much better runner inside the tackles than Morstert and could do more with those carries imo. He should have been on the field more. 

I think Breida got stuck in the dog house a bit for the fumbles. That's my guess. The injury is weeks behind him. 

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Breida is still banged up and kind of tweaked his ankle again last week. He was active but Shanny probably didn't want to use him unless he absolutely had to. Once Breida gets healthy, he will get his fair share of carries. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Breida is still banged up and kind of tweaked his ankle again last week. He was active but Shanny probably didn't want to use him unless he absolutely had to. Once Breida gets healthy, he will get his fair share of carries. 

When did he tweak the ankle last week? I never saw that