Week 16 GDT - Rams @ 49ers

Forge

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Breida got stuck in the dog house a bit for the fumbles. That's my guess. The injury is weeks behind him. 

Watch his fumble and his leg get rolled up a bit on that play. Looked like he tweaked something or just wasn't quite healthy even after getting some carries against the Saints. 

Next week if Breida is ready to go, we will need him. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Watch his fumble and his leg get rolled up a bit on that play. Looked like he tweaked something or just wasn't quite healthy even after getting some carries against the Saints. 

Good call. I'll check it out. I totally missed that. Would explain a lot

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

yep, that was part of the fumble imo. He was in a lot of pain and his brain temporarily lost control of his hands. 

The thing that is weird about it is that he should have just been inactive then lol wilson can play special teams and has fresh legs. 

I am fine with not giving breida a lot of run this week if it means hes healthy next week and beyond.

Just now, Forge said:

Good call. I'll check it out. I totally missed that. Would explain a lot

Just watched it again, his ankle didn't get rolled up. I though it did and I though he limped off, but i think he was just frustrated with the fumble. 

At around the 5:30 mark. If he did get a bit banged up, it would have been due to Staley falling on his ankles after he fumbled it. 

Just now, N4L said:

yep, that was part of the fumble imo. He was in a lot of pain and his brain temporarily lost control of his hands. 

The thing that is weird about it is that he should have just been inactive then lol wilson can play special teams and has fresh legs. 

I am fine with not giving breida a lot of run this week if it means hes healthy next week and beyond.

See, now I'm not too sure after seeing it again lol. But watching it live he seemed like he was banged up on that play. I don't know, maybe he was, and maybe they need to ask Shanahan about it at his presser tomorrow. 

Just now, N4L said:

I generally don't much care if all three (Breida, Coleman, mostert) are all healthy and active. We don't run a three headed monster as much as people think. Just need two of them+ Wilson on any given night. Let him get healthy if he needs it

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I remember seeing some stats where Jimmy was much better out of the shotgun but I honestly think one of the reasons for this is he doesn't quite trust the interior OL and doesn't think they will hold up enough to run his patented play actions. But sure, I'd like to see some more plays with Jimmy under center, but that's not going to entirely fix out issues. Throwing outside the numbers more and stretching the field will help greatly though. 

I understand not being all that confident when both McG AND Staley were hurt and he had the back-ups in. But I don't think dropping Jimmy straight back and having DEs just converge on him as if we're playing "X marks the spot" is that much better. Especially seeing as how Jimmy likes to hold on to the ball to let plays develop. You're just begging defenses to tee off. 

There's no mystery to our shotgun either. I think we've run maybe two delayed draws out of it all year. EVERYBODY knows we're passing. At least under center, the play-action might actually work and hold the defenders eyes for a second. There's no 'game' being run when we're in shotgun. We just drop back to pass. Maybe throw in a half-hearted PA fake every once in a while to the RB but its not fooling anyone.

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I understand not being all that confident when both McG AND Staley were hurt and he had the back-ups in. But I don't think dropping Jimmy straight back and having DEs just converge on him as if we're playing "X marks the spot" is that much better. Especially seeing as how Jimmy likes to hold on to the ball to let plays develop. You're just begging defenses to tee off. 

There's no mystery to our shotgun either. I think we've run maybe two delayed draws out of it all year. EVERYBODY knows we're passing. At least under center, the play-action might actually work and hold the defenders eyes for a second. There's no 'game' being run when we're in shotgun. We just drop back to pass. Maybe throw in a half-hearted PA fake every once in a while to the RB but its not fooling anyone.

Shanny actually went to the shotgun and started the quick PA against the Cardinals to slow down their pass rush....And it worked. Ever since that game, Jimmy has been primarily in the shotgun. Teams just load up the box and bring the blitz which makes it hard if you are under the center. I'm not opposed to switching it up a bit, but just don't think that solves our biggest issue right now. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Breida got stuck in the dog house a bit for the fumbles. That's my guess. The injury is weeks behind him. 

Fumbles? I saw him fumble against the Falcons but I dont recall him having multiple games where it as a issue. If Morstert could still get run after the fumbling issue he had last year, I don't see how that could be held against Breida.  

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

See, now I'm not too sure after seeing it again lol. But watching it live he seemed like he was banged up on that play. I don't know, maybe he was, and maybe they need to ask Shanahan about it at his presser tomorrow. 

which fumble are you looking at? He had the one late, thats not the one I am talking about. The play Im talking about was with 1:55 left in the 3rd. It was the first fumble. He did keep playing obviously but he was pulled down from behind and got his left foot caught behind him and thrown down awkwardly. 

Which ankle was the hurt one? 

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Fumbles? I saw him fumble against the Falcons but I dont recall him having multiple games where it as a issue. If Morstert could still get run after the fumbling issue he had last year, I don't see how that could be held against Breida.  

Yes, he fumbled twice against Atlanta. Same drive, back to back carries. He didn't re-enter the game after the second

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

he had two fumbles. One in the third and one in the fourth. The first one went out of bounds

Oh wait, same drive lol

Edited by N4L

Just now, N4L said:

which fumble are you looking at? He had the one late, thats not the one I am talking about. The play Im talking about was with 1:55 left in the 3rd. It was the first fumble. He did keep playing obviously but he was pulled down from behind and got his left foot caught behind him and thrown down awkwardly. 

Which ankle was the hurt one? 

Ah, see I knew remember seeing him getting up gimpy! Just got the wrong fumble. 

Breida is still our best all around runner, even though Mostert has been awesome all season. 

Coleman has started to look better as of late as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Shanny actually went to the shotgun and started the quick PA against the Cardinals to slow down their pass rush....And it worked. Ever since that game, Jimmy has been primarily in the shotgun. Teams just load up the box and bring the blitz which makes it hard if you are under the center. I'm not opposed to switching it up a bit, but just don't think that solves our biggest issue right now. 

That's what Im saying...we should be mixing it up alot more. Like I said, the shotgun has its place in our offense. But alot of those 2nd & 10 calls we're in shotgun now where as earlier in the year, we'd be under center in a 'check with me' type of call where we either check to a run or pass, depending on the look. Teams are stacking the box still, but I feel like we're abandoning the run way too early and too easily. We've  been running against a stacked box virtually all year. Nothing Shanny hasn't seen before.