Week 16 GDT - Rams @ 49ers

Forge

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

He had nice burst tonight. 

Yep, and had a really good run last week as well. 9 carries 73 yards the last two games. I know he is probably our third best rummer, but we still need him as he is our best receiving back and best pass protecting back on the team. That was straight disgusting what Mostert did on the Sanders bomb lol. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Shanny actually went to the shotgun and started the quick PA against the Cardinals to slow down their pass rush....And it worked. Ever since that game, Jimmy has been primarily in the shotgun. Teams just load up the box and bring the blitz which makes it hard if you are under the center. I'm not opposed to switching it up a bit, but just don't think that solves our biggest issue right now. 

I have no issue with the shotgun but I believe @757-NINERs problem with it is that we dont run enough out of that formation to keep teams honest. I get that.

There were a few times when I wanted to kyle to run the ball and instead jimmy took a sack. McVay is too pass happy and I think kyle at times can be very aggressive with his playcalls, but I think he has his reasons. Sometimes you need to break tendencies. 

I listened to the bitter rivals podcast this week since there was no 49ers future pod and Oscar had a guest on that said kyle is a second tier play caller but the best play designer in the NFL along with andy reid. I almost turned it off lol he was saying that the numbers say to make certain play calls in certain situations, and that kyles playcalls sometimes dont increase the odds of winning as much as a different play type would, but if everyone did everything by the book all of the time then everyone would know what everyone else was doing, if that makes any sense. Sometimes you need to zag when other teams think you will zig. I did think it was an interesting take even though I disagreed. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Breida is still banged up and kind of tweaked his ankle again last week. He was active but Shanny probably didn't want to use him unless he absolutely had to. Once Breida gets healthy, he will get his fair share of carries. 

I didn't recall seeing him on the injury report this week but if that's the case, I stand corrected...

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

That's what Im saying...we should be mixing it up alot more. Like I said, the shotgun has its place in our offense. But alot of those 2nd & 10 calls we're in shotgun now where as earlier in the year, we'd be under center in a 'check with me' type of call where we either check to a run or pass, depending on the look. Teams are stacking the box still, but I feel like we're abandoning the run way too early and too easily. We've  been running against a stacked box virtually all year. Nothing Shanny hasn't seen before. 

Yeah, I'm fine with that. We have been running the ball well the last two weeks but just not committing to it enough. Though not converting 3rd downs hurts the ability to run of course. 

Also, Jimmy needs to start checking the ball down or get rid of the ball instead of taking some sacks. I mean I know he can't avoid certain sacks, but come on now. And hesitating and throwing in the middle of the field is a big no no. 

I believe in Shanny though and he should be able to adjust come postseason time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, N4L said:

TIME TO GO FULL PLAYOFF MODE 

Feels great to be back in the playoffs already. Its amazing actually

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I didn't recall seeing him on the injury report this week but if that's the case, I stand corrected...

he was active and didnt play a snap. So I think it was more than just injury related. It could be he could have played if needed in an emergency but that they knew next week was the more important game and so they wanted to keep him fresh. 

I think its more than just one thing. Breida doesnt seem to mind and knows he will get touches in the playoffs. I wont worry about that this week. We have other things to work on

19 minutes ago, N4L said:

I have no issue with the shotgun but I believe @757-NINERs problem with it is that we dont run enough out of that formation to keep teams honest. I get that.

There were a few times when I wanted to kyle to run the ball and instead jimmy took a sack. McVay is too pass happy and I think kyle at times can be very aggressive with his playcalls, but I think he has his reasons. Sometimes you need to break tendencies. 

I listened to the bitter rivals podcast this week since there was no 49ers future pod and Oscar had a guest on that said kyle is a second tier play caller but the best play designer in the NFL along with andy reid. I almost turned it off lol he was saying that the numbers say to make certain play calls in certain situations, and that kyles playcalls sometimes dont increase the odds of winning as much as a different play type would, but if everyone did everything by the book all of the time then everyone would know what everyone else was doing, if that makes any sense. Sometimes you need to zag when other teams think you will zig. I did think it was an interesting take even though I disagreed. 

BINGO! There needs to be more layers to our shotgun offense if that's your go to in critical moments. Fake fly sweeps, misdirection (with someone other than Deebo). Its just too stagnant rite now imo.  We were more creative with it earlier in the year when we were not relying on it as much. Now its like we're just using it to pass for more than 10 yards...

And I TOTALLY get what that person is talking about in terms of Shanny's play-calling. I've said as much before. Brilliant play design and how he gameplans against a defense's tendencies. But as a in-game playcaller, he can get out of whack at times. The bubble-screen to Kittle on 2nd & goal, inside the 5 yard line. Plays where I just think he gets too cute and overthinks things instead dialing up a good run play and seeing where that leads you. Its a minor gripe but a gripe nonetheless...   

Edited by 757-NINER

@757-NINER its fair. I would say there are times kyle gets out of rhythm sometimes and the magic isnt there. There are other times when he hits playcalling nirvana and the defense gets sliced up. I dont think that means he is a second tier playcaller though lol 6-12 is too low for him. 

I think the kinks in our offense will get worked out over time. Garoppolos first full season! I heard steve young talk about play calls and when Mike Shanahan left to go to denver. Steve said that the familiarity comes with time and that in the heat of the battle you can start to get a feel for each other and make minor adjustments to eachother. Steve said that in Mikes last year they were clicking to the point where it was the nirvana I referenced above. He didnt call it that, but thats what he was describing, and he said it was the great working relationship that made it possible. 

Steve said that Mike called him to say he was leaving for denver and steve said "No you arent. No. No. You arent leaving. No." and mike then said "yes I am, good luck" lol 

Part of this whole thing is Kyle and Garoppolo growing together. I mean, Kyle is only 12 years older than Jimmy lol think about that for a second. 

Tarvarious Moore in concussion protocol...  

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Believe that it does. Third tie breaker is common opponents. Vikings would have the lead there. 

Wins against Atlanta, Washington, Packers, losses against Seattle and the Packers. 3-2.

49ers would have wins against Packers and Washington, but losses against Atlanta, Seattle, and Seattle. 2-3. 

I'm assuming teams played twice still count

They do - I didn't factor in the final games. If Vikings need to lose a game (regardless of opponent) and we will be no lower than the 5th seed.

Your rooting guide for Week 16:

Packers over Vikings- to clinch no lower than the 5th seed.

Saints vs. Titans - Doesn't matter for 49ers seeding, but you should root for the Saints if you would rather play in Green Bay as a potential 6th seed or you should root for the Titans if you would rather play in New Orleans as a potential 6th seed. Pick your poison.

Cowboys vs. Eagles - Doesn't matter for 49ers seeding, but you should root for whomever you would rather visit as a potential 5th seed. 

Cardinals over Seahawks - Doesn't matter for 49ers seeding, but a loss could push Seattle down to the 3rd seed should they win next week, and I am sure that is a lot more palatable for most. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

I just really hope next year we stay a little bit healthier. I'm worried Harbaugh is going to win COTY..Shanny deserves it. He's turned this team around in a massive way and has consistently had the next man up ready to go. idk what else he has to do. 

Harbaugh deserves it. So does Shanny, so does McDermott, and honestly, so does Tomlin. Payton should be in the conversation as well. I won't be upset if any of them win it. 

13 minutes ago, John232 said:

I just really hope next year we stay a little bit healthier. I'm worried Harbaugh is going to win COTY..Shanny deserves it. He's turned this team around in a massive way and has consistently had the next man up ready to go. idk what else he has to do. 

I thought Shanny was a lock for a while but that loss to the Falcons while Harbaugh beating damn near his entire competition probably gives him the edge.