Joe Burrow... Best QB Prospect since _______

brownie man

12 minutes ago, VanS said:

Weren't you laughing when I argued before the 2018 Draft that Lamar Jackson should go #1 overall?  

Are you still laughing now?

Counterpoint - Here are your own words in your OP: "Now before everyone jumps down my throat, I currently don't have Lamar Jackson as my #1 rated QB.  Nor do I have him among my top 10 overall prospects (regardless of position).  I do, however, have him in the 11-20 range of my prospect rankings."

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

this has been said repeatedly. You make a lot of silly predictions. Silly is not a flattering word in this context. Lobbing crap at a wall and having one stick and then repeatedly pointing to that just makes it worse, not better. 

LOL.  I made only 1 thread advocating for a player to go #1 overall before the 2018 draft.  That player just happens to be the leading candidate for NFL MVP in 2019.  That's not lobbing crap against the wall and hoping one sticks.  That's going 1 for 1 in my first at-ball with a grand slam home run.

Also read my analysis.  I was very specific.  I said Lamar should get #1 overall consideration because he would have the greatest short term impact.  I said the NFL would not be ready for his other-worldly athleticism.  I said his floor was Michael Vick with the potential to be much better given how today's NFL is more suited for his skill set than the NFL was for Michael Vick in the early 2000s.

You don't have to like me but you can't act like I wasn't 100% right on Lamar Jackson.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Counterpoint - Here are your own words in your OP: "Now before everyone jumps down my throat, I currently don't have Lamar Jackson as my #1 rated QB.  Nor do I have him among my top 10 overall prospects (regardless of position).  I do, however, have him in the 11-20 range of my prospect rankings."

That was early on.  I eventually elevated Lamar to my #5 overall prospect before the draft in April.  

If you see the bottom of the first post you'll see I last edites it on April 14, 2018.

Also if you've seen any of my posts recently you'll see I still like Josh Allen's long term potential over Lamar.  If you read that entire post you'll see that I said if you just want the biggest short term impact, take Lamar Jackson #1 overall cause he's the most likely to destroy the league early on and turn a team around.  That take has proven to be right.

23 minutes ago, VanS said:

LOL.  I made only 1 thread advocating for a player to go #1 overall before the 2018 draft.  That player just happens to be the leading candidate for NFL MVP in 2019.  That's not lobbing crap against the wall and hoping one sticks.  That's going 1 for 1 in my first at-ball with a grand slam home run.

Also read my analysis.  I was very specific.  I said Lamar should get #1 overall consideration because he would have the greatest short term impact.  I said the NFL would not be ready for his other-worldly athleticism.  I said his floor was Michael Vick with the potential to be much better given how today's NFL is more suited for his skill set than the NFL was for Michael Vick in the early 2000s.

You don't have to like me but you can't act like I wasn't 100% right on Lamar Jackson.

i dint have to act. we all know the # of silly predictions you make, getting one right diesnt make it anythung else less sillly.... or even that one at the time.

• Like 1

I’m leary of Burrow, as I would be with any QB that’s made the kind of astronomical leap he has this year.  He’s put together a great season no doubt, I’d like to delve more into why. Is it new scheme, he’s healthy, or did it just click this year and he’s really this good.  I have questions about his arm strength for the NFL personally, and that’s probably my biggest knock on him at the moment.  As far as prospects go, I would  have him behind Mahomes, Watson, Wentz, Murray, Darnold and ahead of Trubisky, Goff, Winston, Mariota, Mayfield, Allen, Rosen, Jackson.  That’s of course before any of those guys took an NFL snap

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

That says it all, frankly.

How so?

If you read my analysis on Lamar Jackson before the draft you would see that everything I said about him has come 100% true.  Why would I change my tune now?  I'm going to stick to my predraft assesment since its proven to be right thus far.

You guys are the ones surprised by Lamar Jackson's dominance thus far but I'm not.  I expected it.  I also said before the draft that despite how dominant Lamar Jackson looks early on, I will take Josh Allen over the long term because I believe he has the ability to thrive in a traditional offense more than Lamar will when his athleticism begins to decline or he gets hurt.

Lamar is out ahead right now as I expected but I also expect Josh Allen to eventually catch up and surpass him. 

Burrows biggest flaw is specifically that he's a dramatically different player this year than last, and people are hyping him up to be the next Andrew Luck, "can't miss" prospect.  I feel like people are going to be disappointed in him if he doesn't immediately come into the NFL and start playing like a Brees/ Brady / Peyton.

That being said.... on my lists, he's the best QB since Mahomes (who I was banging the table for my bears to draft, even if it meant trading up for... and has still exceeded my wildest predictions for success already) and before that I'd go back to Luck.... so I'm pretty equally guilty of having pretty seriously inflated expectations for him at the NFL level.   I've had a few others also rated highly, but my track record on running style QBs has been atrocious (I had RG3 over Luck even at the time, was super high on Mariota, decently high on Mayfield, and was super high on Lamar Jackson the year BEFORE he came out, then backed off that opinion during his draft year because of being consistently burned on "running" qbs ... which was also why I was way less interested in Deshaun Watson than many/most).

If I where the Bears GM and such a trade where even possible (it's not) I'd be willing to drop Trubisky and  probably more importantly Khalil Mack in a heartbeat to get the draft capital to move up to get Burrow (in addition to the likely 2x first rounders it'd take)... So far, he's the only QB I have in this class worth taking, but more importantly, he looks more developed and sees the field better than all but a few of the current NFL qbs right now. 

I don’t think Burrow is a can’t miss prospect, but I’d be shocked if he was doo doo. He’s going to be good to great IMO. I don’t know if he’ll ever be an unstoppable force, but that’s ok with me. You can win with a very good QB that isn’t elite. 

Is he an Andrew Luck kind of prospect? No. But he’s still worthy of a #1 overall selection if you have a messy QB situation. 

• Like 3

Since Luck. Doesn't make the risky decisions and turnovers of a Winston or Darnold. More proven than Wentz or Goff were. Has the prototypical size that Mayfield doesn't. Burrow is the total package. At the college level, there's not a flaw in his game. How well he translates to the NFL is obviously TBD but I feel pretty damn confident he's gonna be good. Unless the Bengals ruin him.

1 hour ago, Spartica4Real said:

Since Luck. Doesn't make the risky decisions and turnovers of a Winston or Darnold. More proven than Wentz or Goff were. Has the prototypical size that Mayfield doesn't. Burrow is the total package. At the college level, there's not a flaw in his game. How well he translates to the NFL is obviously TBD but I feel pretty damn confident he's gonna be good. Unless the Bengals ruin him.

He lacks the "wow" factors that some of the other QB prospects had, but that's not that important to me. I think that's the only reason he isn't considered an ELITE prospect, whether that be right or wrong.

I think Burrow has an extremely high floor and a higher ceiling than some think.  I think the floor is peak Andy Dalton (2015) and the upside is more than that.  His arm strength isn't an A+, but it's a solid B with a chance to improve like a lot of young QB's do once they are in the league 2-3 years and football is their full time profession.  His accuracy and pocket awareness are as good as I've seen in recent years though, and he's done that facing a lot of the best pass rushers that will be in this draft.

Edited by THE DUKE