Joe Burrow... Best QB Prospect since _______

brownie man

18 hours ago, brownie man said:

Burrow is exactly what you would draw up as an NFL QB. He has every trait you could ask for as well as the production and size.

I don't think I would go that far; he's definitely not a perfect prospect. While he excels in most areas of evaluating, one glaring deficiency in Joe's game is his arm strength. It's very average by NFL standards. He has a tendency to float balls - especially deep balls - on occasion, which will obviously cause major issues at the next level. If he doesn't live up to expectations, there is no doubt in my mind that will be the source of his downfall.

Aside from that he's extremely well-rounded. It's hard to find weaknesses in hid game. There really isn't anything he doesn't do at a high-level. In terms of his arm, his accuracy both on the move and in the pocket are impressive. Despite his arm strength, his anticipation and ball placement are as good as you'll see; especially his ball placement. He can also sling a good deep ball. His pocket presence is outstanding; pretty much as good as it gets as well, evaluating-wise. He's a natural at slipping defenders, maneuvering the pocket, and keeping his eyes downfield to deliver an accurate pass off platform. He sees the field extremely well, and doesn't make many poor decisions. He's a natural leader and the hardest worker in the locker room. He's a plus athlete, who is a is a legitimate threat to take off and run if not accounted for. His ability to create off-script - which may be the most desirable quality for any QB prospect in today's NFL - is also a major plus. And on top of all that, he's shown a phenomenal level of poise in big moments. He remains calm, cool, and collected when things matter the most. Which to me, is a sign of greatness. He has all the intangibles you could ever want. I think that's what might have sold me the most, especially considering I've had the pleasure of watching every Andy Dalton play for the last decade. He doesn't shrink in the spotlight, he gets better.

He doesn't have elite athletic traits some people will swoon over, but all you have to do is watch and see that the talent outside of that is clearly evident. The kid can play. We've seen players in this league get by with similar physical deficiencies before. There's no reason to believe Joe can't.

And for those of you that say he was propped up by a very talented LSU team, of course he was. That's a natural byproduct on playing on a good team. But at the same time you need to consider that the playing relationship between Joe and the team was reciprocal. He elevated the play of others around him, and boosted his own production. Penalizing Joe for that is lazy and shallow. If you take a deep dive into his film, there are a litany of plays LSU made by Joe independently; outside of Brady's system, when the protection broke down, when he's forced to roll out, or when his receivers are covered. I'll post a cut-up after this post.

As far as comparisons go, if I were to peg Joe to one former pro, it would be Tony Romo. Their escapability, arm strength, accuracy, touch etc. is very comparable. And oddly enough they were both pretty good basketball players (maybe there's something to that?). Standing in the pocket though, Joe's stature really resembles Tom Brady; gawky, tall, and his movement when sliding up in the pocket is weirdly similar. Those are the two I see the most when watching Joe.

All in all, I think he's going to be a really good pro. I think he's demonstrated enough for me to think he can be a legitimate top 10-5 QB. He made be held back by his arm a little bit, but he makes up for it in numerous other ways. I am really, really, really, hoping the Bengals don't screw this up and win the next two games, taking us out of the first pick. Missing out on Joe could very well set this franchise back another decade.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don't think I would go that far; he's definitely not a perfect prospect. While he excels in most areas of evaluating, one glaring deficiency in Joe's game is his arm strength. It's very average by NFL standards. He has a tendency to float balls - especially deep balls - on occasion, which will obviously cause major issues at the next level. If he doesn't live up to expectations, there is no doubt in my mind that will be the source of his downfall.

Aside from that he's extremely well-rounded. It's hard to find weaknesses in hid game. There really isn't anything he doesn't do at a high-level. In terms of his arm, his accuracy both on the move and in the pocket are impressive. Despite his arm strength, his anticipation and ball placement are as good as you'll see; especially his ball placement. He can also sling a good deep ball. His pocket presence is outstanding; pretty much as good as it gets as well, evaluating-wise. He's a natural at slipping defenders, maneuvering the pocket, and keeping his eyes downfield to deliver an accurate pass off platform. He sees the field extremely well, and doesn't make many poor decisions. He's a natural leader and the hardest worker in the locker room. He's a plus athlete, who is a is a legitimate threat to take off and run if not accounted for. His ability to create off-script - which may be the most desirable quality for any QB prospect in today's NFL - is also a major plus. And on top of all that, he's shown a phenomenal level of poise in big moments. He remains calm, cool, and collected when things matter the most. Which to me, is a sign of greatness. He has all the intangibles you could ever want. I think that's what might have sold me the most, especially considering I've had the pleasure of watching every Andy Dalton play for the last decade. He doesn't shrink in the spotlight, he gets better.

He doesn't have elite athletic traits some people will swoon over, but all you have to do is watch and see that the talent outside of that is clearly evident. The kid can play. We've seen players in this league get by with similar physical deficiencies before. There's no reason to believe Joe can't.

And for those of you that say he was propped up by a very talented LSU team, of course he was. That's a natural byproduct on playing on a good team. But at the same time you need to consider that the playing relationship between Joe and the team was reciprocal. He elevated the play of others around him, and boosted his own production. Penalizing Joe for that is lazy and shallow. If you take a deep dive into his film, there are a litany of plays LSU made by Joe independently; outside of Brady's system, when the protection broke down, when he's forced to roll out, or when his receivers are covered. I'll post a cut-up after this post.

As far as comparisons go, if I were to peg Joe to one former pro, it would be Tony Romo. Their escapability, arm strength, accuracy, touch etc. is very comparable. And oddly enough they were both pretty good basketball players (maybe there's something to that?). Standing in the pocket though, Joe's stature really resembles Tom Brady; gawky, tall, and his movement when sliding up in the pocket is weirdly similar. Those are the two I see the most when watching Joe.

All in all, I think he's going to be a really good pro. I think he's demonstrated enough for me to think he can be a legitimate top 10-5 QB. He made be held back by his arm a little bit, but he makes up for it in numerous other ways. I am really, really, really, hoping the Bengals don't screw this up and win the next two games, taking us out of the first pick. Missing out on Joe could very well set this franchise back another decade.

If I'm the Bengals, I still take Chase Young.

I know you'd be missing out on a good QB, but Chase Young is a game ruining RDE. And I don't think you guys will be that good even with Chase Young next year. You'd be right back in the running for a top 5 pick by trotting Ryan Finley out there the following year.

...or you could get really ballsy and trade back up for Tua after taking Young #1. That'd be cool to see (well, not from a Browns fan's perspective, but in general).

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

If I'm the Bengals, I still take Chase Young.

For as good as Young is, there's just no way for me to justify passing on a legitimate franchise QB for a defensive end. As you definitely know, no one impacts the game like a QB. It would be catastrophic if Joe went on to be a probowler and we were still stuck in QB limbo. Statistically the best QBs are drafted at the top of the first round, and very rarely do you end up with the first or second pick. If you don't have a QB, you better take one. No excuses.

You'd be right back in the running for a top 5 pick by trotting Ryan Finley out there the following year.

Try selling that to a locker room, coaching staff, and fan base. It would be inexcusable based on what we've already seen from Finley. There would be a mutiny.

...or you could get really ballsy and trade back up for Tua after taking Young #1. That'd be cool to see (well, not from a Browns fan's perspective, but in general).

I like Tua too. But we don't need to over complicate things. Sit tight and take Joe. Simple.

Edited by SmittyBacall

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

For as good as Young is, there's just no way for me to justify passing on a legitimate franchise QB for a defensive end. As you definitely know, no one impacts the game like a QB. It would be catastrophic if Joe went on to be a probowler and we were still stuck in QB limbo. Statistically the best QBs are drafted at the top of the first round, and very rarely do you end up with the first or second pick. If you don't have a QB, you better take one. No excuses.

Try selling that to a locker room, coaching staff, and fan base. It would be inexcusable based on what we've already seen from Finley. There would be a mutiny.

I like Tua too. But we don't need to over complicate things. Sit tight and take Joe. Simple.

You're probably right, but I think Chase Young is an untouchable too. You're getting an ELITE defensive cornerstone at the 2nd most important position in football or a GOOD QB and potential offensive cornerstone at the most important position in football.

I think you sacrifice BPA if you go with Burrow, but it's not like that'd be a bad pick by any stretch of the imagination.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

You're probably right, but I think Chase Young is an untouchable too. You're getting an ELITE defensive cornerstone at the 2nd most important position in football or a GOOD QB and potential offensive cornerstone at the most important position in football.

I think you sacrifice BPA if you go with Burrow, but it's not like that'd be a bad pick by any stretch of the imagination.

Houston added Clowney even with already having JJ Watt and that never moved the needle that much

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Houston added Clowney even with already having JJ Watt and that never moved the needle that much

Yeah but I think Chase Young is better than Clowney. And as a Browns fan, I can tell you that the difference having Myles Garrett on our defense is HUGE. Don't underestimate what a superstar RDE can do for your team.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Burrow. My biggest wonder is, will he continue to have the same success under someone not named Joe Brady.

I think he will. His skills translate. He can improvise and throw with poise and accuracy to all levels of the field. He's a good athlete and has a good arm. There aren't many flaws outside of him not being able to make "WOW" plays with his arms or legs.

• Like 2