Joe Burrow... Best QB Prospect since _______

brownie man

12 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Buddy needs to be someones coordinator in the NFL, if the Bengals were smart, they would be courting him as we speak

I hope the eagles go after him but Dougie Fresh will still insist on calling plays so it won't happen

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don’t think Burrow is a can’t miss prospect, but I’d be shocked if he was doo doo. He’s going to be good to great IMO. I don’t know if he’ll ever be an unstoppable force, but that’s ok with me. You can win with a very good QB that isn’t elite. 

Is he an Andrew Luck kind of prospect? No. But he’s still worthy of a #1 overall selection if you have a messy QB situation. 

Agreed. Joe Burrow is one of the most intelligent and also fast processors I have ever seen. The only time these type of QBs fail is if they have a really weak arm. Burrows arm isn’t the greatest by any means but it’s definitely NFL caliber. 

Watching some film on Burrow (Alabama 2019), the first thing that jumps out to me right now is he has very good pocket awareness.

Something that I don't like is he often tends to underthrow some deeper routes, I don't know if this is from having a mediocre arm (not saying he does) or just poor deep accuracy. 

Edited by Danger

8 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

His accuracy and pocket awareness are as good as I've seen in recent years though, and he's done that facing a lot of the best pass rushers that will be in this draft.

Bingo. Right on point. He's outstanding in this critical area going Pro.

Hard call but I would say the list might go like this.

Andrew Luck
Deshaun Watson
Carson Wentz
Joe Burrow
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Jameis Winston
Josh Allen

Wentz and Burrow are very close to each other, if Burrow did this the year before it would be a little different story.  But both he, Wentz and Josh Allen are very similar.  One huge year, only difference is after that big year Wentz and Allen took big drops, Wentz was because of injury, Allen was just bad that 2nd year and or JR season in college.  Did not help all the attention around him and less talent around him as well.  

Like I have said before, only real QB with this big of a jump statistically the last year they played in college before they were drafted is David Carr.  Almost an identical jump in yards and TDs etc. but much worse competition however that he faced and a much different completion percentage.  

Edited by Ozzy

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Hard call but I would say the list might go like this.

Andrew Luck
Deshaun Watson
Carson Wentz
Joe Burrow
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Jameis Winston
Josh Allen

Wentz and Burrow are very close to each other, if Burrow did this the year before it would be a little different story.  But both he, Wentz and Josh Allen are very similar.  One huge year, only difference is after that big year Wentz and Allen took big drops, Wentz was because of injury, Allen was just bad that 2nd year and or JR season in college.  Did not help all the attention around him and less talent around him as well.  

Like I have said before, only real QB with this big of a jump statistically the last year they played in college before they were drafted is David Carr.  Almost an identical jump in yards and TDs etc. but much worse competition however that he faced and a much different completion percentage.  

Josh Allen over Patrick Mahomes?

huh

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

A broken clock is right twice a day.  Where are we with that Josh Dobbs prediction again?

Is that the case though? Look, Lamar Jackson has had an astounding season. But we've seen QB X have fantastic seasons only to fall flat afterwards. There is still a bit I worry about Lamar's game long-term. Not to say they are the same whatsoever, but we did see Nick Foles put up a 2891, 27/2, 119.2 across just 10 games once. Pretty sure a lot of people were wondering why he wasn't the number 1 overall pick (or at least a 1st rounder) in the immediate aftermath. Jackson has had some pretty good games against the Bills and 49ers this year, but also benefits from playing the Browns and Bengals twice, the Dolphins, the Jets, and a terrible by recent standards Rams D. Lamar Jackson has far exceeded expectations for THIS year, but I would never gloat about a single spectacular season (my general rule is you need to see 3 years of a QB to have a real indicator). Anyone pounding their chest about Jackson somehow being a transcendent talent should revisit the RG3 saga. 

Whether Jackson is bound to taper off, stay consistent, improve further, crash and burn, be a 1 hit wonder, RG3 2.0 or Pat Mahomes 2.0 is still up for debate by reasonable people not affected by glitz and glamor. 

That broken clock might have the right time right now, but it might still be a broken clock.

Tua is still the better prospect if he's 100% healthy, and I'm actually a big Burrow believer/supporter, as he's got all of the intangibles in the world to go with solid accuracy. His arm strength is average, but with elite anticipation and ball placement, that won't really matter.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Post 2012 for me: 

1. Kyler Murray

2. Patrick Mahomes

3. Marcus Mariota

4. Joe Burrow

5. Lamar Jackson 

I find it hard to believe you actually had both Mahomes and Lamar Jackson that high. This list reeks of revisionism.

• Like 1