Did the Saints manage their starters well during the preseason?

Mid Iowa

I'm gonna beat a dead horse a bit, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

If you don't think preseason is important, go rewatch the monday night game and tell me with a straight face that 50% of the stupid communication issues and timing issues couldn't have been resolved with 2 more quarters of experience between these starters.

Everyone talks about the injuries and that potential for a "meaningless game", well, now we're without Strief, and our first meaningful game was an embarrassment to say the least.

This team needs reps. They don't know what's going on.

7 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm gonna beat a dead horse a bit, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

If you don't think preseason is important, go rewatch the monday night game and tell me with a straight face that 50% of the stupid communication issues and timing issues couldn't have been resolved with 2 more quarters of experience between these starters.

Everyone talks about the injuries and that potential for a "meaningless game", well, now we're without Strief, and our first meaningful game was an embarrassment to say the least.

This team needs reps. They don't know what's going on.

I disagree... I didnt see players not being able to play or be physical. I saw players utterly confused, i saw players disintrested and completely dumbfounded over the events of the game.

The team has no identity whats so ever and the players dont have a clue.

"Were OVER PREPAIRED FOR THIS GAME"... An actual quote from DE Cam Jordan prior to the game! 

Thats how out of touch and out of sink this team is and you think a couple quarters in preseason action would have made a difference?

This team is lost right now... Simply LOST.

Yeah, I do. I could throw it right back at ya. You think some film study and some extra practice is going to make a difference?

Here's the deal. You don't like preseason, I get it, loud and clear. But when your entire team (with d*mn few exceptions) looks as lost and crappy as we did, it's because they're not prepared. I don't give 2 craps what Jordan said, I know what I saw. I had my binoculars watching the bench and everybody looked like they'd never seen a game before.

2009, our starters played like this in preseason;
Game 1: 1 quarter
Game 2: 2 quarters
Game 3: 1 full series into the 3rd quarter
Game 4: dressed. some played a series, some didn't.

I don't recall any major injuries, do you? Oh, and the result speak for themselves. 13-0 start and a super bowl victory.

Success leaves clues. Why on earth would we abandon that? because we're afraid someone will get hurt? 

@Mid Iowa There might be some truth to your preseason idea, but you also have to remember this preseason we've had a lot of guys  that were actually hurt as it was.  Armstead and Unger on the OL, Ramzy with some knicks, our defense had some injuries as well, so I think at least this year, it was more due to the fact that we had enough even small nagging injuries that it wasn't worth the risk.

The offense will go as the OL goes.  With Strief out for a few weeks we are going to struggle in both the passing and running game, which is really going to hurt.  Thankfully New England has a worse front 7 than us right now though their DBs are good so we might be able to beat New England in a high scoring game as their OL is looking as suspect as ours so our front 7 will hopefully get more pressure than they did vs Bradford to hide some of the weakness of our DBs.

Does anyone know how to get a count of preseason snaps? I can get regular season, but I'd like to see preseason.

One of the things that stands out to me is that we have really good rookies who come in and play lights out. And then in years to follow, they sometimes fade, so quicker than others. Then they go elsewhere and flourish.

I'll agree with @whodatworm23 every day of the week that our coaching is very much out of their league compared to where they were 10 years ago. They are doing nothing that works, and frankly, if it weren't for Brees, we'd probably have had 3 straight 3-13 seasons rather than 7-9. Seriously.

So back to the topic, everyone talking about the risks of playing preseason games. Well, I'm saying that a lack of cohesion due to lack of reps equals a lack of wins, and nothing but problems in our first game. Do you want 7-9 with a HOF QB, or 7-9 with Chase Daniel? Or 7-9 with 3 O-line in the training room. Or worse, 7-9 with everyone healthy.

Going the plastic bubble route is clearly not working.

17 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Personally im tired of rewinding this movie over and over again... I want a rebuild, a TRUE rebuild.

But that's just me?

Not just you. A handful of us have been vocal about it for years .

17 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Personally im tired of rewinding this movie over and over again... I want a rebuild, a TRUE rebuild.

But that's just me?

Haha, no. There's a few of us that have been on the fire Payton and rebuild bandwagon for a few years now. 

Just rewarched the game...

For the most part the Rookies played pretty good. Can someone tell me why Onyamata isnt a starting DT?

Brees played about as well as can be expected. Mike Thomas finally meet up with a corner he coundnt out physical in Rhodes. Willie Snead was severly missed!

Id rather see the Saints trade Peterson and utlize Ingram and Kamara. There is just too much pressure to get all three involved and its a problem that will only get worse.

Comming into the season i stated that the health of the O-line would determine alot this year and looking at it now it could put the Saints into a early hole that they cant get out of and xost alot of people their jobs.

The coaching and playcalling was far more damaging than the effort on the field. Payton looked lost at times and allowed his emotions to overide his better judgement more than once. Allen on thr other hand just looked out classed aganist Pat Shurmmer as he was consistantly 2 steps behind the Vikings OC.

The Saints have zero dynamic edge rushing talent where most great defenses have at least 2. Jordan is the best we have but being an explosive edge rusher isnt his strong suit.

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

But that's just me?

No argument. I feel like it's been piece work at about the slowest pace EVER!! 

Let's try a new O-line (for 3 years, 1 new guy each year). Well, that didn't work, so.... let's improve the secondary (for 5 years, bringing in 1 guy and releasing 2 each year)...

It's getting old, fellas. J - E - T - S SAINTS, SAINTS, SAINTS..................... ppfffffffffft.

11 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Let's try a new O-line (for 3 years, 1 new guy each year). Well, that didn't work, so

How exactly didn't that work? Injuries happen, but we've got a great line when healthy.

imo you'll be singing a different tune as these guys start coming back

I agree that we need a rebuild, but imo the oline is one of few the things Payton's got right recently

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

Id rather see the Saints trade Peterson and utlize Ingram and Kamara. There is just too much pressure to get all three involved.

Man, this. Payton was trying SO hard to try and get all 3 involved that there's just no way any of them can get in a groove.

It's not really new to us though. He's always tried to get too cute with packages, sub packages, and outsmarting himself than just riding a guy that gets hot or even letting a guy get hot.

I think this is a disservice to all 3 backs sharing time the way they did Monday night.

17 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

It's not really new to us though. He's always tried to get too cute with packages, sub packages, and outsmarting himself than just riding a guy that gets hot or even letting a guy get hot.

This this a million times this

Archived