Did the Saints manage their starters well during the preseason?

Mid Iowa

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

The defense proved their not capable of allowing this offense to not have the ball in Brees hands. So the running game will much less prominent in this offense this year than originally thought.

Like every year since 2009 except one. Lol

24 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

JJ Watt? Huh?

who doesn't look bad against Watt? And since when is he a talent evaluator?

And the Tampa game? What about it? Brees arm was shot, I don't know what Strief can really do about that. Unless I'm thinking of another game.

Im just not buying. Strief has been average at worst, top 10ish RT at his best. Of course he's not in his prime anymore but Brees trust in him should tell you all you need to know.

Well, a lot of guys have to go up against him, and they don't all allow Watt through or he'd have like 30 sacks every season.

I'd expect an "all pro caliber" lineman to hold up. Oh, and when Watt switched sides in that game, he schooled Armstead (twice if I recall).

BTW, I didn't mention anything about using Watt as a talent evaluator, I mentioned Watt even asked the Saints to put someone better in. It's trash talk, and funny, but he was right. 

34 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

And the Tampa game, wasn't  Brees arm pretty much shot? I don't know what Strief can really do about that. Unless I'm thinking of another game.

The Tampa game is where Strief got beat over and over and that's when Brees' arm go whacked and caused his shoulder to be injured, which led to poor performances by Brees for a few games, and caused him to miss a game. That may have been 2015, though the statement stands. Strief is getting old and needs to be replaced soon.

• 2016 saw Strief allow just 31 total pressures, the fewest of any of his seasons as a starter. He managed this despite 676 pass-block snaps, third most among all offensive tackles last year.
  • Despite turning 33 during the season, 2016 was Strief’s most productive year as a pro, posting career-highs in overall grade (86.8) and pass-blocking efficiency (96.5).
  • As well as being a skilled pass protector, Strief also had an impact in the run game last season; he posted a run-blocking grade of 82.3, making him the 14th-ranked run-blocking tackle in the NFL.

Right tackle: Zach Strief, New Orleans Saints, 86.8

Right tackle could easily have gone to the Tennessee Titans’ Jack Conklin, given his impressive debut campaign so far, but the rookie posted one weak performance lately to drop him down the rankings. Zach Strief may not have hit Conklin’s highs, but he hasn’t been taken apart by anybody, either, despite playing some impressive pass-rushers through Week 9. Strief has surrendered one sack and 11 total QB pressures, despite blocking Khalil Mack, Jason Pierre-Paul, and Cliff Avril, amongst others. His run blocking hasn’t been quite as strong, but with the Saints, that’s not a major concern, as he has been part of one of the league’s better pass-blocking units, allowing Drew Brees to drop back to pass 361 times already this season.

Right tackles have been outperformed by their left-sided teammates, despite (or because of?) some of the league’s most dominant pass-rushers coming from their side of the line. Zach Strief has gone up against some of the league’s best edge defenders this season, and allowed 19 total QB pressures, with just three penalties to his name; he has earned good grades in all facets of the game.

Zach-Strief.pngI know PFF isn't the end all be all, but how can there be this big of a difference between how they (and I) see Strief and where you're grading him out?

What exactly haven't you liked from him?

Because he's been widely considered a top half RT basically since he became a starter. I just don't see what he's done that's so bad, he's solid to above average across the board.

anyone else wanna chime in on Strief? Let's get some more perspectives, am I crazy?

14 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

BTW, I didn't mention anything about using Watt as a talent evaluator, I mentioned Watt even asked the Saints to put someone better in. It's trash talk, and funny, but he was right. 

That was tongue in cheek when I said that.

My point was why mention Watts trash talk without also mentioning all the praise Brees has heaped on him for years. If you're not calling Watt a talent evaluator and recognize its just trash talk, I'd imagine Brees comments hold just as much credibility?

I'll take the word of the guy whose life depends on Striefs play.

5 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

That was tongue in cheek when I said that.

My point was why mention Watts trash talk without also mentioning all the praise Brees has heaped on him for years. If you're not calling Watt a talent evaluator and recognize its just trash talk, I'd imagine Brees comments hold just as much credibility?

I'll take the word of the guy whose life depends on Striefs play.

Fair enough.

I'll say this, maybe what I see (or what I saw Monday night) is just a fluke, but what I saw was a total cluster f*ck. Hence the title of this thread. Maybe my frustration should be more towards Payton? I don't know, I guess, I'm not a football coach.

We have some guys talking about Brees playing poorly (specifically me), some talking about O-line, some about coaching, some about secondary, some about linebackers and angles, some about lack of D-line penetration, and coach talking about special teams (which I thought actually played well for a change). So which way does the finger(s) point?

As I said, I felt week 1 was frustrating and embarrassing. The nice thing is everything can only go up from here.

8 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Don't try to argue with me when you have proof of something. It makes me feel bad, and my snowflake skin starts to melt.

.........this is a good graph, Dik! ;)

PFF is far from "proof"... that's for sure. I usually try to stay away from them, but they're about as big a support of Strief as there is, so I had to use them :D

I like Strief, he's solid when healthy.  I don't know exactly how high I'd grade him, but the PFF looks legit.  I know JJ Watt is a monster, but man, that Texans game was brutal. I couldn't even finish it.  Strief has had several games where he's looked terrible, but who knows if he was battling through injury.  A majority of the time, he's a really good tackle, and much better than our backups.

I've been critical of our run blocking for a while though, you rarely see our line open big holes ever.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I've been critical of our run blocking for a while though, you rarely see our line open big holes ever.

When you see it, it's usually all night long. Then it disappears for weeks at a time. Makes me think it's mostly matchup dependent.

11 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

When you see it, it's usually all night long. Then it disappears for weeks at a time. Makes me think it's mostly matchup dependent.

And that's unfortunate. I recall draft day posts and talking about O-lineman being "road graters" and we'd like to see what they can do. Well.....

Archived