::Philadelphia Flyers Thread:: Carter Hart <3

Hockey5djh

14 hours ago, tom cody said:

Philly's a team on the rise. If they can fix their goaltending and add another good forward or 2 they could be a contender as soon as next yr. 

Yea....Those "Carter Hart should start for the Flyers" articles have already started to pop up....he should at least start in the AHL

I love the fact that under Hextall we've drafted well and built through the draft and gotten out of the cap hell we were in during the previous regime.

I do hate Hakstol, but man in a 2 years we'll line up a top 9 of

Giroux-Couturier-Koneckny

Frost-Patrick-Voracek

Lindbloom-Rubitsov-Simmons

With a defensive corps of

Provorov-Ghost

Myers-Sanheim

Morin-Haag

Backed up by Carter Hart

50 minutes ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

I love the fact that under Hextall we've drafted well and built through the draft and gotten out of the cap hell we were in during the previous regime.

I do hate Hakstol, but man in a 2 years we'll line up a top 9 of

Giroux-Couturier-Koneckny

Frost-Patrick-Voracek

Lindbloom-Rubitsov-Simmons

With a defensive corps of

Provorov-Ghost

Myers-Sanheim

Morin-Haag

Backed up by Carter Hart

I'd probably flip Rubstov and Frost, Frost is a much better two way center. Also the second and third pairings would either be Hagg-Sanheim and Myers-Morin or Hagg-Myers and Morin-Sanheim.

That said I completely agree with the above. When the only contract on the books that you can complain about is a 2.3 mil on a bottom 6 winger, you're in good shape (assuming Lehtera is bought out).

• 4 weeks later...

Had some fun playing Armchair GM in Cap friendly. Bought out Lehtera, Graduated Myers, Signed Tavares, Neal, and Polak.

9uGpD9l.png

Leaves us with about 600k in cap space if the Cap stays at 75 mil (its expected to go up to between 3 and 7 mil next year which would be extra cap space)

Edit....Whoops, forgot to sign Hagg. He can replace Polak.

Edited by Hockey5djh

Continued the path the following year....Raised the Cap to 82 Mil (high end projection for '17, could be much higher in '18)

Resigned Provy, TK, Laughton, Sanheim. Traded Gudas for Glendening for PK bottom line help. Graduated Hart, Frost, Rubstov, and Morin. Signed Khudobin as a back-up. Still have almost 9 mil in cap space to account for any "low" contracts I may have created.

HmSp9Mx.png

I can't see the pictures at work but my first thought after your first post was that we wouldn't have money to re-sign the kids and we'd be screwed for the future.  Kinda cool it worked out and still had cap space.

As much dead weight we have on the roster now, it's great to not be in cap hell for once.  Props to Hexy on that. 

Do you guys think you'll make a concerted effort to sign JT? I like to joke about it with the devils, but I really don't see it happening for us. I think the biggest player we bring in May happen through a trade rather than free agency

17 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

I can't see the pictures at work but my first thought after your first post was that we wouldn't have money to re-sign the kids and we'd be screwed for the future.  Kinda cool it worked out and still had cap space.

As much dead weight we have on the roster now, it's great to not be in cap hell for once.  Props to Hexy on that. 

Yea, finally having some space is nice. I really hope they make some noise with it, right now we're a fringe team with the ability to add a couple of impact players.

17 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

@Hockey5djh Tell me I'm paranoid that there's this tiny part of me that just can't shake that we're going to bring back Manning because of the Morin injury news. 

I think you're paranoid. Hextall has openly come out and said that Manning will not be getting a contract from the Flyers (along with Read and Oduya). The only person he left the door open for was Filppula but along with his other statements that's clearly a back-up, back-up plan and one I really think needs to not happen so save Hakstol from himself.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Do you guys think you'll make a concerted effort to sign JT? I like to joke about it with the devils, but I really don't see it happening for us. I think the biggest player we bring in May happen through a trade rather than free agency

Its hard to tell. We clearly have the cap space and clearly desire an impact player (or two) this offseason based on our GM's comments. The problem is that this is a shift away from the "trust the process" type of mentality that we've had so far where we put player development and prospects above FA splashes. The Flyers have a glut of defensive prospects that are slowly making their way to the big club (which rules out John Carlson IMO) and the #1 prospect in hockey starting between the pipes in the AHL next season (with two expiring goalie contracts) so the only logical place is to add a forward. Tavares is the only name that fits the Hextall youth profile as well as having a large impact on the team. Coots is a Selke contender this year and Nolan Patrick turned it around in the second half but Filppula is a 34 year old FA and Laughton hasn't made any significant strides past that 4th line role and was even moved to the wing at times last year. Center is somewhere we clearly need help and Tavares would give us strength down the middle to match up with teams like Pittsburgh in the playoffs which clearly owned us this year with their depth.

Yes, it seems like a pipe dream to add the #1 FA who is a 27 year old bonafide #1 C but we have the cap space and the need to do it. It really comes down to Hextall and how he feels about guys like Rubstov, Frost, and Vorobyev versus adding a true top line player like Tavares.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:04 AM, Hockey5djh said:

Yes, it seems like a pipe dream to add the #1 FA who is a 27 year old bonafide #1 C but we have the cap space and the need to do it. It really comes down to Hextall and how he feels about guys like Rubstov, Frost, and Vorobyev versus adding a true top line player like Tavares.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, Hockey5djh said:

At the end of the day, I'd be shocked if Hextall wasn't at least in talks with the Tavares camp during FA.

Looks like it was the pipedream I always knew it was. Pending one of those E7 rumors about a mystery team in the running I think the Flyers are all but ruled out of the Tavares sweepstakes.  I think our attention should turn to a pretty solid consolation prize in Paul Stastny to provide that 2/3C need for the Flyers hopefully a shorter term higher AAV is an option with him.

• Like 1