::Philadelphia Flyers Thread:: Carter Hart <3

Hockey5djh

After sitting on the news overnight I think I'm fine with AV.  He's got a pretty damn good track record and he's easily the best coach we've had since Lavy (although that's not saying much).  His system seems like it should benefit our mobile aggressive defensemen.  Biggest complaints I've seen so far from VAN/NYR fans is that he's a bit stubborn and that we'll hate him after a few years.  Given that we haven't won a playoff series in like 7 years I'm ok with some short term success. 

3 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

After sitting on the news overnight I think I'm fine with AV.  He's got a pretty damn good track record and he's easily the best coach we've had since Lavy (although that's not saying much).  His system seems like it should benefit our mobile aggressive defensemen.  Biggest complaints I've seen so far from VAN/NYR fans is that he's a bit stubborn and that we'll hate him after a few years.  Given that we haven't won a playoff series in like 7 years I'm ok with some short term success. 

Yea my initial responses to buddies included a few puke face and poop emoji's. After letting it settle I'm at least glad we brought in someone who will make the team a playoff contender rather than a lottery contender. Also a huge sigh of relief that those Briere/Pronger rumors weren't true.

AVs teams always play fast and should help with our younger more mobile defenseman as well as guys like Patrick and TK. His biggest issues are that grinders and plugs will be exposed in his system which means guys like Raffl and Lindblom will probably start to draw the ire of fans early on. On the positive having a lot of "lifer flyers" in our management circle I SERIOUSLY doubt that they let AV/Fletcher turn the Flyers completely to a finesse team like those NY and Vancouver teams. It will limit our regular season success with AV but maybe give us a better shot in the playoffs. 

• 1 month later...

So....Trades:

A 5th round pick for the rights to Hayes. I like the move Hayes is the #2 C on the Market. The meetings apparently went well but he didn't sign unfortunately. Hopefully that changes before July 1.

Gudas (30% retained) for Niskanen. I love the deal. Even if Niskanen isn't what he used to be he can still fill top 4 RHD minutes for a season or two and also provide help for the PK.

9 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

@Hockey5djh Thoughts on Hayes?  I would have preferred 6.5 but he fills a huge hole on this team.  Hayes was 24th in P/60 at 5v5 last season among full time centers, this makes our forward group so much better. 

Brock Nelson who's basically the same player got 6x6. 7 mil is an overpay but I think one we needed to make to not get into a bidding war come July 1 with how thin the Center market is.

You of all people know I've been beating the drum for a 2C for a couple years now, Hayes isn't my first choice because I just don't see him as a dynamic playmaker like a Duchene, ROR, or Stastny but he'll get the job done and let Patrick grow in the 3C role similar to Coots' development. I think (read: hope) at the tail end of his contract he'll probably get forced back to wing.

Edited by Hockey5djh

Overall thoughts on the draft: Meh.

Cam York isn't a flashy pick but he should be a good Ghost replacement at the minimum in a few years with better help in the defensive zone. I would have preferred the flashy Caufield pick that would have provided an impact winger (and definite boost to our power play) but the Flyers don't like drafting offensive players who can score.

...Then they drafted Bobby Brink. Easily my favorite pick of the draft. Dude was a lock first rounder and Fletch made the move to snag him at the top of the second. It reminds me of when the Flyers drafted Konecny, all the way down to the complaints about his skating.

I'd love to say i'm familiar with the rest of the players we drafted but I don't have the knowledge like I have in previous years. I'm not a fan of the fact that we took a few overagers, they have a very low percentage to pan out, generally them "clicking" is the fact that they're playing against younger, smaller guys and also have much more experience at that level.  Overall we drafted a lot of high IQ hockey guys, and generally a lot of guys that need to work on their skating. Hopefully they can work through their issues but this draft class in general probably won't make any impact on the big club for a few years.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Meh for meh, doesn't really do anything for me.  Just wish we could have gotten a higher pick out of the Simmonds trade instead of getting Hartman.  This also clears up a bit of cap to get Provorov and Konecny signed.

Speaking of RFAs, Sanheim took a bridge deal at 2x3.25.  Wish we could have gotten him at like 5x5, we're gonna have to pay up big in a couple years for him.  Can't blame him for wanting a 2 year deal. 

13 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Speaking of RFAs, Sanheim took a bridge deal at 2x3.25.  Wish we could have gotten him at like 5x5, we're gonna have to pay up big in a couple years for him.  Can't blame him for wanting a 2 year deal. 

Yea, I would have rather say a Ghost contract as well but the Bridge is smart on his part.

With Hartman gone that leaves Provy, TK, and Laughton as RFAs with 17.1 mil left. We also have to sign the cheaper backup between Elliott and Talbot.

3 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Yea, I would have rather say a Ghost contract as well but the Bridge is smart on his part.

With Hartman gone that leaves Provy, TK, and Laughton as RFAs with 17.1 mil left. We also have to sign the cheaper backup between Elliott and Talbot.

We should be able to add a bit more when Schlemko is sent down and hopefully they can trade Hagg and keep Morin as the 7D. 

2 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

We should be able to add a bit more when Schlemko is sent down and hopefully they can trade Hagg and keep Morin as the 7D. 

Schlemko is a 1.1 mil savings.

Also....I'm blaming the Braun deal as to why Sanheim was Bridged and Hartman was traded so I don't think Braun will get on my good side for awhile.