::Philadelphia Flyers Thread:: Carter Hart <3

Hockey5djh

14 hours ago, mm6492 said:

Can MacDonald just go away....

We can only hope....unfortunately they've blatantly come out and said they won't buy him out and to bury him in the AHL would actually cost us money. He's stuck on the team for another year.

Speaking of...I'm super disappointed they aren't buying out Lehtera. 

9 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

We can only hope....unfortunately they've blatantly come out and said they won't buy him out and to bury him in the AHL would actually cost us money. He's stuck on the team for another year.

Speaking of...I'm super disappointed they aren't buying out Lehtera. 

If we aren't gonna spend the money now anyways, I guess saving the cap room in the future by not buying him out make sense. 

9 minutes ago, mm6492 said:

If we aren't gonna spend the money now anyways, I guess saving the cap room in the future by not buying him out make sense. 

In most situations I'd agree and just bench him, but with Hakstol making the lineup decisions he'll play significant minutes if he's on the roster.

• Like 2

Rumor is that the Flyers are in the top three for De Haan along with Montreal and the Islanders. he would be a very good add for the middle pairing, especially if Morin isn't ready for the big club. Would start to create a log jam on defense though and block Myers from coming up.

7 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Rumor is that the Flyers are in the top three for De Haan along with Montreal and the Islanders. he would be a very good add for the middle pairing, especially if Morin isn't ready for the big club. Would start to create a log jam on defense though and block Myers from coming up.

I think I saw Morin is out til at least February which sucks.  Agreed completely, De Haan would be great on the 2nd pairing, just not sure who sits if he's here.  

Ghost, Provy, De Haan, Gudas, Sanheim, Myers would be a fun group to start the year with, but I can't see both AMac and Hagg sitting. 

Other names I've seen us linked to are JVR, Stastny, and Bozak.  All of which I think would fit in nicely but the price (apparently Bozak is looking for 6 per?!!?) would be tough.  We desperately need a middle 6 center, but anything with term is going to block Frost.  Stastny on like a 2 year deal would be money. 

4 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Ghost, Provy, De Haan, Gudas, Sanheim, Myers would be a fun group to start the year with, but I can't see both AMac and Hagg sitting. 

Gudas would probably be the odd man out.

Ghost-provy 

De Haan - sanheim

Amac - hagg/myers

4 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Other names I've seen us linked to are JVR, Stastny, and Bozak.  All of which I think would fit in nicely but the price (apparently Bozak is looking for 6 per?!!?) would be tough.  We desperately need a middle 6 center, but anything with term is going to block Frost.  Stastny on like a 2 year deal would be money

Tavares was my pipe dream Stastny on a 2-3 year deal is my ideal signing 

43 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Holy **** Hexy

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
JVR - Patrick - Voracek
Lindblom - 3C - Simmonds

Depending on who that 3C is that is a damn good top 9. 

I really love that their poised to give Nolan Patrick talented offensive linemates early unlike that they did with Coots. Our top 9 and PP should be filthy.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:26 PM, flyers0909 said:

Depending on who that 3C is that is a damn good top 9. 

In Hextall's latest FA presser he didn't rule out G moving back to center because of how the Center market went in FA. I'm really hoping Vorobyev makes some noise in training came and forces them to give him an extended look to start the season, playing between Lindblom and Simmer would be good for him.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:38 AM, mm6492 said:

Would not be overly surprised if Simmonds was moved. 

A big contract but I'm a big JVR fan. Nice to get him back. 

I'd be shocked if Simmonds was moved at this point, the draft was the most likely place for it to happen and that came and went. Trading him now is just moving a guy because he's a pending FA and not valuing what he still beings to the team and the locker room.

I thought JvR was slightly overpaid but he's still in his 20s and there's no NMC so he could be exposed to Seattle in a couple years if need be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I see Brandon Manning signed with my hawks. Don't know much about him, should I be excited at all? 

Ideally a 7th defenseman who can play 20-30 games in case of injury.

He is insanely frustrating to watch, and this blurb from Charlie O'Connor reviewing Manning's season sums him up pretty well.

Take note of the significant amount of red in the low slot and netfront area in the viz on the left. The Flyers were allowing lots of shots from the highest-danger area with Manning on the ice, and they tended to come on his regular side of the ice as well. Compare that to the team’s performance when Manning was on the bench in the viz on the right. The entire netfront area and slot is in blue, meaning that the team did a better-than-league-average job at suppressing chances in that region of the ice. That valuable ability disappeared when Manning skated, however, even though the defenseman largely faced bottom-sixer competition.

This is where the eye test comes into play as well. Manning does not employ a particularly conservative style despite his bottom-of-the-lineup role. Instead, he’s aggressive without the puck, regularly pinching deep into the offensive zone on the cycle and jumping up in the neutral zone to cut off passes and disrupt oncoming attacks. He’s always graded out fairly well by entry denial statistics (4th on the team in Controlled Entry Allowed Percentage in 2016-17, 3rd this year) and that’s a testament to his willingness to take risks and put pressure on opposing teams.

But those aggressive maneuvers don’t always work. For defensemen like Gostisbehere, Provorov and Sanheim, players blessed with high-end offensive skills and instincts, it’s easier to accept the occasional counterrushes and blown coverages because the risks are worth the reward. But for a third-pair defenseman like Manning? Even in his best offensive season of his career, Manning couldn’t avoid the on-ice shot quality issue that has long plagued him.

Manning’s aggressiveness likely contributes to his solid shot differentials, and since a key element of Hakstol’s system is built around the regular activation of defensemen in all three zones, the veteran’s willingness to do just that may be a contributing factor as to why he remained in his coach’s good graces. But it also seems to result in enough “big mistakes” to limit his all-around value.

Considering he views himself as a stay at home guy, he's the exact opposite of that.  Aggressive on offense which is a toss up on whether it works or not and is just terrible in front of the net and his PK work was abysmal.

Last year he put up some decent offensive numbers, but it's just not really what you want out of a guy in his role.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...