Saints sign Safety DJ Swearinger

tyler735

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Bell + CJGJ questionable = DJ Swearinger. Probably could do worse with a #3 SS. 

Hey, you remember that one time Marcus Williams missed a tackle on Stefon Diggs and... Oh, who am I kidding, you remember that play.

That happens about three times a game with "DJ Swag" here. He's got zero football IQ, he's constantly out of position and his only real response is to hit something as hard as he can, be friend or foe. He usually comes up empty, just misses on the hit outright.

I really have to question whether or not you can do worse than Swearinger as a #3 S. I mean, I guess the Saints could see if Teddy Bridgewater would play some S - that would be worse. Taysom Hill could play S over Swearinger, I'm sure of that.

Kinda related... Why has nobody signed Eric Berry yet? 

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

Hey, you remember that one time Marcus Williams missed a tackle on Stefon Diggs and... Oh, who am I kidding, you remember that play.

That happens about three times a game with "DJ Swag" here. He's got zero football IQ, he's constantly out of position and his only real response is to hit something as hard as he can, be friend or foe. He usually comes up empty, just misses on the hit outright.

I really have to question whether or not you can do worse than Swearinger as a #3 S. I mean, I guess the Saints could see if Teddy Bridgewater would play some S - that would be worse. Taysom Hill could play S over Swearinger, I'm sure of that.

Kinda related... Why has nobody signed Eric Berry yet? 

Which play are you referring to? Does not compute.

Taysom Hill could potentially play S better than Swearinger...but then again...Taysom Hill can do whatever the heck he wants on the football field. Dude is a throwback...and can probably make the team at every position on the field if he set out to do it. Swearinger isn't a good tackler...but when you are trying to find guys off the street, you sacrifice something in the process...you aren't finding Ronnie Lott. Apparently the Saints feel that he can come in with knowledge of the playbook, which is honestly the most important thing and more important than a defenders ability to cover or tackle.

Regarding Berry...has to be injury. He's talented...so there has to be something wrong physically. 

• Like 1

I'm laughing a bit here. The teams that are calling him garbage are the 6-8 Raiders, the 4-9 Cardinals, and the 3-11 Redskins... so I'm not sure these teams are capable of knowing talent if they stepped in it. When you have defenses that are ranked 22nd, 32nd, and 21st, respectfully, I'm not sure I buy it when they call out 1 person. Maybe, just maybe that 1 person was vocal about the whole team being a crap show.

Time will tell, but I'm all about kicking tires on a ride like this. Better than sitting back & doing squat like the aforementioned teams.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 2:58 PM, Mid Iowa said:

I'm laughing a bit here. The teams that are calling him garbage are the 6-8 Raiders, the 4-9 Cardinals, and the 3-11 Redskins... so I'm not sure these teams are capable of knowing talent if they stepped in it.

And the 9-5 Texans... kinda throws that whole narrative out the window, right?

Texans cut him when they were a top 10 defense, back when he had two years left on his rookie deal. That tells you how much they were done with him - they called a former 2nd round pick a lost investment that early. He wasn't very good and had a very bad attitude on top of that.

You can try to spin this as a quality depth signing, but understand he's going to frustrate you if he's going to hit the field. He doesn't play ST either (part of the reason he was cut) so don't expect to see him out there.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm laughing a bit here. The teams that are calling him garbage are the 6-8 Raiders, the 4-9 Cardinals, and the 3-11 Redskins... so I'm not sure these teams are capable of knowing talent if they stepped in it. When you have defenses that are ranked 22nd, 32nd, and 21st, respectfully, I'm not sure I buy it when they call out 1 person. Maybe, just maybe that 1 person was vocal about the whole team being a crap show.

Time will tell, but I'm all about kicking tires on a ride like this. Better than sitting back & doing squat like the aforementioned teams.

Isn’t it kind of weird that teams with bad defenses, who aren’t hurting for cap space, are cutting him loose? You would think if he was decent that he’d be wanted on trash teams...

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, ET80 said:

And the 9-5 Texans... kinda throws that whole narrative out the window, right?

Texans cut him when they were a top 10 defense, back when he had two years left on his rookie deal. That tells you how much they were done with him - they called a former 2nd round pick a lost investment that early. He wasn't very good and had a very bad attitude on top of that.

You can try to spin this as a quality depth signing, but understand he's going to frustrate you if he's going to hit the field. He doesn't play ST either (part of the reason he was cut) so don't expect to see him out there.

And then what did their team accomplish? I don't recall a playoff run then, or since.