Saints sign Safety DJ Swearinger

tyler735

21 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Isn’t it kind of weird that teams with bad defenses, who aren’t hurting for cap space, are cutting him loose? You would think if he was decent that he’d be wanted on trash teams...

Perhaps he gets a bad attitude when he's on a losing team, I don't know.

We generally don't see bad attitude in New Orleans, and if we do (see WR Cook) we cut 'em loose.

Maybe Swearinger amounts to nothing with us, but I just find it a bit funny I heard this same song and dance with Kiko Alonso earlier this year when we traded for him. I was told he was no longer good by fans of his previous team despite having some quality seasons in his past. Now in a better situation he has been a quality player on our defense this year. Let's not pretend Swearinger has been horrible for years, he is literally coming off 2 of his best seasons prior to this year. His poor season could be from a number of things including playing on bad defenses. I don't think anyone is saying he is going to step in and be an all pro, but he has shown he can be a quality player in the league.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

And then what did their team accomplish? I don't recall a playoff run then, or since.

Four division titles in five years tells me it's been sustained success, despite a less than average HC and unstable GM situation. Heck, QB was only situated a few years ago, yet we still manage to win - so we're doing something right.

Your narrative is still ruined, no matter how you try to spin it. The Texans have identified significant amounts of talent during and after cutting Swearinger, so your take is about as bad as your retort. 

He's bad. You'll find out in some fashion, I'm sure.

16 hours ago, ET80 said:

Four division titles in five years tells me it's been sustained success, despite a less than average HC and unstable GM situation. Heck, QB was only situated a few years ago, yet we still manage to win - so we're doing something right.

Your narrative is still ruined, no matter how you try to spin it. The Texans have identified significant amounts of talent during and after cutting Swearinger, so your take is about as bad as your retort. 

He's bad. You'll find out in some fashion, I'm sure.

Your comments are purely speculation.

Sure, 4 division titles is nice, but when your division consists of the Titans, Colts, and Jaguars who are all on again, off again teams, your argument doesn't hold water. It's a crap division.

Let's face it, every team has 53 professionals in uniform, yet there's always a garbage pail, and then cream. Coaching, system, attitudes etc... are what make teams great vs. garbage. 

But go ahead, it's fun to make yourself feel better sometimes.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

Your comments are purely speculation

That Swearinger is bad? Nah, that's pretty much proven. You seem to be in denial, but don't say we didn't warn you when he pulls off another Marcus Williams...

Sure, 4 division titles is nice, but when your division consists of the Titans, Colts, and Jaguars who are all on again, off again teams, your argument doesn't hold water. It's a crap division.

Because beating up on Tampa Bay (who is never on to begin with) and Carolina/Atlanta (on again, off again) is something to write home about...

Let's face it, every team has 53 professionals in uniform, yet there's always a garbage pail, and then cream. Coaching, system, attitudes etc... are what make teams great vs. garbage. 

...and given the Texans were a top 10 defensive unit with two top DCs in Wade Phillips and Romeo Crennell calling the shots, Texans would qualify as "great" in that period. Yet, they still cut Swearinger because he's not good at football in comparison to his peers. This seems to be really difficult for you to understand.

You really need to do your homework if your going to play that card. Texans defense has been one of the better ones over the last decade... and they cut Swearinger pretty quickly. But hey, I'm sure THIS is going to be location  where it all comes into focus for him...

But go ahead, it's fun to make yourself feel better sometimes.

I'm just doing what I can to help the less educated on the subject. That's kinda my job around here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

That Swearinger is bad? Nah, that's pretty much proven. You seem to be in denial, but don't say we didn't warn you when he pulls off another Marcus Williams...

Not in denial at all. I'm simply saying that sometimes a change in chemistry is what's needed. I have a tendency to see the positive possibilities in people, rather than go negative just because they didn't work out with "my team".

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Because beating up on Tampa Bay (who is never on to begin with) and Carolina/Atlanta (on again, off again) is something to write home about...

Where did this come from? Are you 14? We can't talk about how a player may or may not have contributed to a team when they haven't played a rep yet. So this statement is simply childish. Oh, and anytime we beat Tampa, it's worth writing home about. Whether they're 0-16, or 16-0.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

...and given the Texans were a top 10 defensive unit with two top DCs in Wade Phillips and Romeo Crennell calling the shots, Texans would qualify as "great" in that period. Yet, they still cut Swearinger because he's not good at football in comparison to his peers. This seems to be really difficult for you to understand.

You really need to do your homework if your going to play that card. Texans defense has been one of the better ones over the last decade... and they cut Swearinger pretty quickly. But hey, I'm sure THIS is going to be location  where it all comes into focus for him...

Well this is just funny:
So, Wade Phillips got canned at the end of DJ's rookie season, and is getting canned again because he can't field a respectable defense, yet again, even with the talent they've acquired... Good one!!
And Crennell, after being fired from numerous coaching positions, guided the mighty Texans defense to a 9-7 record, giving up an average of 20.2 points per game, which is the equivilant to what the MIGHTY Broncos are accomplishing this season. And you call that "great"? I think we need to work on your definitions a bit. That's good, but great is more along the lines of 15 or fewer PPG.

There's a heck of a lot more to be said about finding or firing a #1 SS than finding depth by bringing a guy in.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I'm just doing what I can to help the less educated on the subject. That's kinda my job around here.

Not sure I "need" or want your help.

Time will tell. 

1 minute ago, Mid Iowa said:

Not in denial at all. I'm simply saying that sometimes a change in chemistry is what's needed. I have a tendency to see the positive possibilities in people, rather than go negative just because they didn't work out with "my team".

He's had about five "changes in chemistry" and each one of them turned out with him on the street late in the season.

There's simply no positive left, despite what you want to believe.

3 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Where did this come from? Are you 14? We can't talk about how a player may or may not have contributed to a team when they haven't played a rep yet. So this statement is simply childish. Oh, and anytime we beat Tampa, it's worth writing home about. Whether they're 0-16, or 16-0.

Um... did you miss where you introduced the discussion on how winning four out of five in the AFCS shouldn't mean much?

Here, for your review:

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

You're the one who brought this to the table, little man. I'm merely reciprocating your argument.

5 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

So, Wade Phillips got canned at the end of DJ's rookie season, and is getting canned again because he can't field a respectable defense, yet again, even with the talent they've acquired... Good one!!
And Crennell, after being fired from numerous coaching positions, guided the mighty Texans defense to a 9-7 record, giving up an average of 20.2 points per game, which is the equivilant to what the MIGHTY Broncos are accomplishing this season. And you call that "great"? I think we need to work on your definitions a bit. That's good, but great is more along the lines of 15 or fewer PPG.

Nice cherry picking, here. Perhaps you missed 2014, 2015, 2017?

6 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Not sure I "need" or want your help.

You absolutely need it. Moreso than most on this forum, actually.

7 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

BTW @ET80, you're getting pretty punchy for a guy who is trying to support a team who wasn't even mentioned in this thread.

Snowflake much?

You're the one who didn't mention them as teams that called him garbage. Or do I need to remind you again of your original argument?

I can use crayons and glitter glue if actual words are proving to be too much for you.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, ET80 said:
On 12/20/2019 at 2:58 PM, Mid Iowa said:

I'm laughing a bit here. The teams that are calling him garbage are the 6-8 Raiders, the 4-9 Cardinals, and the 3-11 Redskins... so I'm not sure these teams are capable of knowing talent if they stepped in it.

And the 9-5 Texans... kinda throws that whole narrative out the window, right?

@Mid Iowa - remember? This is where we begin. You had a bad take, I called you on it, you're backtracking.

It's all good. I'm here to help simple folk such as yourself.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

@Mid Iowa - remember? This is where we begin. You had a bad take, I called you on it, you're backtracking.

It's all good. I'm here to help simple folk such as yourself.

Yup, and I didn't mention the Texans, you did.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Never on? Shall we compare divisions? 
Buccaneers - Super Bowl 2002
Falcons - Super Bowls 1998 & 2016
Pathers - Super Bowls 2003 & 2015
Saints - Super Bowl 2010

AFC South
Colts - Super Bowls 2007 & 2010
Jaguars - ................
Texans - ................
Titans - Super Bowl 2000

I'm digging your little jabs here, though (little man, simple person etc...). Pretty sad when you have to resort to name calling because your crystal ball talk is a "maybe" at this point. I'd get pissy too, if I couldn't form a better argument than speculation.

I posed potential hope for a backup role player, siting how garbage the teams have been who hired him (fact), and you couldn't take it. Sorry about your luck.

At no point did I say this is a fix for our defense. I simply pointed out how the teams (not including the Texans) that let him go were garbage.
2016 Cardinals (actually brought DJS back) - 7-8-1 = garbage team, canned their coach
2017 & 18 Skins - 7-9 & 6-10 = garbage team, should have fired their coach.
2019 Cardinals (what, they brought him back, again?) - 1-3 = garbage team.
2019 Raiders - 1-3 with him, 5-6 without = garbage team

They may not have been winning with him, and they're not winning without him. .......So please, show me conclusive evidence other than I need more education.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:10 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Isn’t it kind of weird that teams with bad defenses, who aren’t hurting for cap space, are cutting him loose? You would think if he was decent that he’d be wanted on trash teams...

Same with Zach Brown. He's a PFF darling yet travels from team to team every season on 1-year deals.