Black Monday - HC / Front Office Changes (0 HC Openings)

Texas_OutLaw7

44 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

^^^^^^^^^^

Great, and we interview freakin' M Lewis. I hate to sound like a big ol' D....but hopefully that was a Rooney. Even tho it was Cincy, not impressed as HC. At least McCarthy has had PO success.

My guess is that we already have certain candidates in mind and are just holding off on interviewing them because no one else wants them.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 7:16 PM, The_Slamman said:

I know the answer... you ready?  It depends.  See, if Jerry lands a big name coach it will be immediate.  Otherwise, he will string it out a little bit until teams like NE and SF are eliminated.  

You kinda nailed it.

On 12/29/2019 at 12:07 PM, plan9misfit said:

I’m not excited by the young college guys. Lincoln Riley does nothing for me. I see a guy who ignores defense and thus leaves his team completely exposed. Why would we want that?

Matt Rhule does nothing for me for the same reason as Riley.

If we were to dip into the college ranks, the only guy I’d have interest in is Urban Meyer because he focuses on defense even though he’s an offensive coach.

Mike McCarthy and Ron Rivera interest me. If we land Rivera, it would all but guarantee that Norv Turner comes with him as OC, which is a good thing. With McCarthy, we get an offense which is QB friendly, but run the risk of ignoring defense, so we’d need to do a lot of due diligence on a DC.

Well, you got the guy you were interested in. So I assume he falls under your "big name" and "not a yes man" clauses, correct?

Ill wait to see the staff. If he keeps Moore and gets a really solid DC (I am hoping Nolan or Lewis); then I will be comfortable with the hire. 

50 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You kinda nailed it.

Well, you got the guy you were interested in. So I assume he falls under your "big name" and "not a yes man" clauses, correct?

Ill wait to see the staff. If he keeps Moore and gets a really solid DC (I am hoping Nolan or Lewis); then I will be comfortable with the hire. 

I didn’t say that McCarthy isn’t a “yes man”. He was third fiddle in the Packers’ organization, so not having any power is nothing new to him, but the lack of authority could likely put us in a serious bind in 2-3 years.

Again, my concern with him is on the defensive side of the ball. Along with everyone else in Green Bay, he openly ignored it, so we NEED to address is properly. 

24 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I didn’t say that McCarthy isn’t a “yes man”. He was third fiddle in the Packers’ organization, so not having any power is nothing new to him, but the lack of authority could likely put us in a serious bind in 2-3 years.

Again, my concern with him is on the defensive side of the ball. Along with everyone else in Green Bay, he openly ignored it, so we NEED to address is properly. 

I read one poster say something like 12 of 16 1st and 2nd round picks over his last years were all defense. 

I think his mistake was holding on to Capers.

• Like 1