? Week 2 GDT - Saints vs Patriots - Sunday 1pm EST

Dome

10 minutes ago, gen. manager said:

You guys are all living in the past when it's 2017 and the truth is this offense isn't all that great anymore.

No, we're just withholding judgment because we realize there's so many pieces missing right now it's impossible to see what we're going to look like in 3, 5, 7 weeks when we get back guys like Snead, Armstead and Strief.

You realize this offense you say is so bad is missing two great tackles, and one of the best separation WRs in the league, right?

you say we're living in the past, I say you're not looking far enough in the future.

5 minutes ago, gen. manager said:

OLine isn't the problem with the running game, play calling is predictable and defenses dont necessarily fear any of the receivers. They're nice players but they aren't SB players. That's not a super bowl offense with those receivers, I just don't see it. Compare this receiving corps to 2009 and it's not even close.

Oline gets no push up front, they haven't been great run blockers for years.  When healthy, they have games where they open holes, but most of the time it's mediocre to downright bad blocking.  In fact, lack of consistent run game is what has been separating this offense from 2009 and 2011.  During those years we dominated teams on the ground, and Brees feasted because of it.  We never, ever are able to run out any clock, when opposing teams know we're about to run(which is all the time because of abysmal playcalling), we get stuffed in the backfield.  

I do agree that we need someone to step up in the red zone, and the playcalling has been at its worst down there.

5 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

You said "You can't tell me _________"

I was just pointing out that it's not that we can't tell you that, it's that we won't tell you that, because we don't believe it ourselves. 

Toss him out the door? They traded him for a 1st round pick and moving up from the 4th to the 3rd.

"toss him out the door" is incredibly disingenuous to what actually happened.

Did you have problems with trading Cooks when it happened? At the time did you feel like we could run an offense without him? 

Nobody ever claimed Ginn was going to come in and replace Cooks, nobody ever thought they'd get the same production or even have the same role. 

Signing a WR because you just traded away a WR doesn't mean you view those players as equivalent, it means you needed a WR.

Absolutely wrong on that one, the guy had the guts to speak his mind and they threw him out for the last pick in the draft. Ginn is a speedster, Cooks is a speedster. They hoped he'd be able to replace his deep threat ability. Hasn't happened. Won't happen. I had a huge problem when they traded Cooks, Drew is on his way out and Cooks was the much younger player. They didn't just "sign" a receiver. They signed someone with a similar skill set, if you can't see that, you need to open your eyes a bit more. 

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

Oline gets no push up front, they haven't been great run blockers for years.  When healthy, they have games where they open holes, but most of the time it's mediocre to downright bad blocking.  In fact, lack of consistent run game is what has been separating this offense from 2009 and 2011.  During those years we dominated teams on the ground, and Brees feasted because of it.  We never, ever are able to run out any clock, when opposing teams know we're about to run(which is all the time because of abysmal playcalling), we get stuffed in the backfield.  

I do agree that we need someone to step up in the red zone, and the playcalling has been at its worst down there.

The Saints have had some great OLines, they've just never fully committed to running the ball. That's a coaching mistake. Any OLine guy will tell you it's much easier to run block than to pass block. 

The last pick in the draft is like #253 or something, they got pick #32 in a deep draft and drafted what has shown flashes to be a top OT in the NFL and replace Strief when the time comes, which might be sooner than later considering age and now the injury.

5 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

No, we're just withholding judgment because we realize there's so many pieces missing right now it's impossible to see what we're going to look like in 3, 5, 7 weeks when we get back guys like Snead, Armstead and Strief.

You realize this offense you say is so bad is missing two great tackles, and one of the best separation WRs in the league, right?

you say we're living in the past, I say you're not looking far enough in the future.

16 games in a season. Saints are 0-2, most like 0-3. Looking to the future for the 4th straight year now...you don't have time to just waste on looking into the future, that gets coaches fired. And with these guys, based on their track record as of late, why should anyone believe in them being able to show some REAL improvement? 

Just now, gen. manager said:

The Saints have had some great OLines, they've just never fully committed to running the ball. That's a coaching mistake. Any OLine guy will tell you it's much easier to run block than to pass block. 

Yes, the coaching has been bad.  I've seen too many times with my own eyes this oline not creating any push when it matters most, and now it's missing two great starting tackles.

Just now, Raves said:

The last pick in the draft is like #253 or something, they got pick #32 in a deep draft and drafted what has shown flashes to be a top OT in the NFL and replace Strief when the time comes, which might be sooner than later considering age and now the injury.

You're nitpicking words, last pick of the 1st round...petty of you because you knew what I meant. Also, you guys have to pick. You're either playing for the future or playing to win now. You can't do both.

1 minute ago, gen. manager said:

16 games in a season. Saints are 0-2, most like 0-3. Looking to the future for the 4th straight year now...you don't have time to just waste on looking into the future, that gets coaches fired. And with these guys, based on their track record as of late, why should anyone believe in them being able to show some REAL improvement? 

Still got no idea what you're trying to argue, nobody in this thread wants Payton around anymore. 

Just now, Raves said:

So you are saying every rookie needs to come in and be All-Pro because apparently that's what you seem to be expecting.

When you draft a guy in the first round, he can't be "another guy". 3rd round rookies shouldn't be starters anyway. Contribute? Yes. Starters? No way.

You're nitpicking words, last pick of the 1st round...petty of you because you knew what I meant. Also, you guys have to pick. You're either playing for the future or playing to win now. You can't do both.

Actually you can do both, the Patriots have for nearly 20 years now, granted we aren't the Patriots because they have one of the best Coach/GM situations over those years, but we all felt for numerous years that if the defense was good enough, which meant improving through the draft and for the future, then we can win now, but we also have all said for about 3 years now we should tear it down, trade Brees, trade Graham, and look to rebuild.  We have Jordan and Lattimore who are looking amazing, Anzalone, Rankins, Williams and Bell have all shown flashes, and all are either 1st or 2nd year players and are still looking solid at a minimum.  You can't expect every player to come in and light the world on fire.

4 minutes ago, gen. manager said:

When you draft a guy in the first round, he can't be "another guy". 3rd round rookies shouldn't be starters anyway. Contribute? Yes. Starters? No way.

Damn then why are guys like Terron Armstead, Tom Brady, Mike Thomas, Kamara, Carl Nicks, Akiem Hicks, and numerous other 3rd+ round players still in the league.  Might as well just kick them all out and just look for more 1st round players right?  Oh and Russell Wilson, that bum, all he's ever done was win a Super Bowl..

You have guys in here, if you're reading, arguing for the future of this team. The next HC is going to want to bring his own guys in. 

We've got one guy in here who thinks nothing is wrong with the offense, everyone else has admitted the offense has problems.  Everyone in here, without exception, thinks the defense is abysmal, and wants Payton fired.  The majority of people in here probably even want to get rid of Brees.

The only people "arguing for the future"  have said our last two drafts look better than they have been previously, and we have some young guys on defense a future administration could develop into solid players.

Archived