? Week 2 GDT - Saints vs Patriots - Sunday 1pm EST

Dome

If our trades and release of players on defense that have ended up going on to becoming all pro or very talented players have shown me anything, it's to not doubt the talent we have on defense, just the utilization of that talent by the coaching staff.

3 minutes ago, gen. manager said:

Absolutely wrong on that one, the guy had the guts to speak his mind and they threw him out for the last pick in the draft.

Last pick in the draft? What?

And you say I'm absolutely wrong? C'mon man, take this seriously. 

4 minutes ago, gen. manager said:

Ginn is a speedster, Cooks is a speedster. They hoped he'd be able to replace his deep threat ability. Hasn't happened. Won't happen.

Bolded is key. Thinking he can replace his deep theat ability is different than replacing him entirely. Again, this isn't the argument you made the first time, the argument people took offense to. You changed your argument. 

5 minutes ago, gen. manager said:

I had a huge problem when they traded Cooks, Drew is on his way out and Cooks was the much younger player. They didn't just "sign" a receiver. They signed someone with a similar skill set, if you can't see that, you need to open your eyes a bit more. 

Signing a player with a similar skillset doesn't mean they expect the same production or even the same role on offense. Ginn was never going to be a guy that came in and drew double coverage like Cooks did. Nobody thought he would be. It sounds like you might be the one who had unrealistic expectations for Ginn, since you seem to be the only one that thought that's what he was going to do. 

7 minutes ago, gen. manager said:

16 games in a season. Saints are 0-2, most like 0-3. Looking to the future for the 4th straight year now...you don't have time to just waste on looking into the future, that gets coaches fired.

What? I'm specifically talking about grading the offense based on what they are now and where they project weeks from now. That was the context of my quote you were replying to, not the team as a whole. 

Obviously the team as a whole cannot afford to look to the future. 

9 minutes ago, gen. manager said:

And with these guys, based on their track record as of late, why should anyone believe in them being able to show some REAL improvement? 

As an offense? Because they're missing two great starting tackles and a very good slot WR that creates separation better than all but about a dozen WRs in the league. All expected to return. And when they do there is zero reason to think we won't see improvements if not an outright return to form when they do.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

Actually you can do both, the Patriots have for nearly 20 years now, granted we aren't the Patriots because they have one of the best Coach/GM situations over those years, but we all felt for numerous years that if the defense was good enough, which meant improving through the draft and for the future, then we can win now, but we also have all said for about 3 years now we should tear it down, trade Brees, trade Graham, and look to rebuild.  We have Jordan and Lattimore who are looking amazing, Anzalone, Rankins, Williams and Bell have all shown flashes, and all are either 1st or 2nd year players and are still looking solid at a minimum.  You can't expect every player to come in and light the world on fire.

You can't do both. Patriots are the Patriots. If it were easy, Saints would have been much more competitive these last few years. There's just a revolving door with these guys. These guys play hard. They do, that's not the problem. They just aren't going to fix these issues. They're going to have actually get top notch defensive players to fix that problem, and the guys on that defense, sans two aren't the guys. 

7 minutes ago, Raves said:

Damn then why are guys like Terron Armstead, Tom Brady, Mike Thomas, Kamara, Carl Nicks, Akiem Hicks, and numerous other 3rd+ round players still in the league.  Might as well just kick them all out and just look for more 1st round players right?  Oh and Russell Wilson, that bum, all he's ever done was win a Super Bowl..

You act like that's the norm...name another Tom Brady. Russell Wilson? Overrated. Put him on this team and it's terrible. Kamara is a rookie that has been shoved down the throats of this team, Carl Nicks had attitude problems coming out of college, totally different type of guy, Akiem Hicks isn't even here anymore so that's a nonfactor. Thats a horrible debate with those players listed.

YOu didn't mention Armstead, what about Jahri Evans, Marcus Colston, Jimmy Graham, those were all guys drafted in the 3rd round or later.  You do realize that the majority of rosters aren't made up of 1st round or even 2nd round picks, but picks from 3rd to undrafted right?

Just now, gen. manager said:

Akiem Hicks isn't even here anymore so that's a nonfactor.

You lost me. How does him not being here not matter when you've already addressed guys like Brady, Wilson and Nicks?

The point is 3rd, 4th, 5th rounders can and do become starters, ALL THE TIME. I have no idea what you're even arguing, you're basically denying common knowledge. 

5 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Last pick in the draft? What?

And you say I'm absolutely wrong? C'mon man, take this seriously. 

Bolded is key. Thinking he can replace his deep theat ability is different than replacing him entirely. Again, this isn't the argument you made the first time, the argument people took offense to. You changed your argument. 

Signing a player with a similar skillset doesn't mean they expect the same production or even the same role on offense. Ginn was never going to be a guy that came in and drew double coverage like Cooks did. Nobody thought he would be. It sounds like you might be the one who had unrealistic expectations for Ginn, since you seem to be the only one that thought that's what he was going to do. 

What? I'm specifically talking about grading the offense based on what they are now and where they project weeks from now. That was the context of my quote you were replying to, not the team as a whole. 

Obviously the team as a whole cannot afford to look to the future. 

As an offense? Because they're missing two great starting tackles and a very good slot WR that creates separation better than all but about a dozen WRs in the league. All expected to return. And when they do there is zero reason to think we won't see improvements if not an outright return to form when they do.

You're nitpicking. They thought Cooks was replaceable, end of discussion on that front. This offense is clunky right now. I hope they prove me wrong but I'm seeing what I'm seeing and I'm seeing an offense that you guys are overrating and making excuses for. 

They thought Cooks was replaceable

If you think that Cooks is literally not replaceable, you're putting him in an echelon with just a few guys ever. 

They didn't THINK Cooks is replaceable, they KNOW he is. Payton and Brees were good before Cooks, he's not some generational talent. 

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

If you think that Cooks is literally not replaceable, you're putting him in an echelon with just a few guys ever. 

They didn't THINK Cooks is replaceable, they KNOW he is. Payton and Brees were good before Cooks, he's not some generational talent. 

I think you're disrespecting a highly talented guy. They didn't draft this guy in the first round just because. Back to back 1,000 yard seasons. Brees is 38 YEARS OLD! He's not 30! This guy needs every weapon he can get! You act like he's some young gun. He's not Tom Brady. He can't make guys anymore. He's not that guy anymore. 

I think you're disrespecting a highly talented guy.

I was hoping for him and posting about how I wanted the Saints to draft him for MONTHS before the draft. He's my favorite OSU player (favorite college team) so him getting drafted by the Saints was like a dream come true. Other Saints fans congratulated me in the draft thread when we drafted him cause they knew how bad I wanted him. I'm not disrespecting him by saying he's replaceable. All but about a dozen or so guys in the league are replaceable, Cooks is not one of them.

1 minute ago, gen. manager said:

They didn't draft this guy in the first round just because. Back to back 1,000 yard seasons

Plenty of guys who are currently in the league have done this. You're proving my point. He's not a generational talent. 

3 minutes ago, gen. manager said:

Brees is 38 YEARS OLD! He's not 30! This guy needs every weapon he can get! You act like he's some young gun. He's not Tom Brady. He can't make guys anymore. He's not that guy anymore. 

I've never acted like Brees is some young gun. I haven't even commented on Brees other than saying he was good before Cooks. I've been begging the Saints to trade him the last two years because I know he's on the decline.

Please do some research before you tell me what I'm acting like. 

Archived