Mitch Trubisky Bad Throws

WindyCity

Mitch Trubisky is currently tied with Carson Wentz for 17th in the league in bad throw percentage, which I have to admit was a surprise to me.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm

He is also 17th in On Target %

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm

The NFL average for bad throws is 16.75% and Mitch is at 18%.

The more interesting piece is that the games where has the most bad throws are also the ones where the Bears cannot run the ball and throw a lot of passes.

Most of the games where he has been above average in "bad throws" have been games where he has thrown over 40 passes.

GB1- 45 passes, 17.7%
NO-54 passes, 22%
Phi- 21 passes, 23%
LAR-43 passes, 18.6%
NYG-41 passes, 24.3%
GB 2-53 passes, 26.4%

It is clear that Mitch is not the type of QB that you can throw 40+ passes with in a game, in fact many QBs are not.

My major issues is that you were not down more than a score at halftime in any of these games.

• Like 1

This correlates pretty strongly with a garbage run game

GB1- 45 passes, 17.7% 12 carries, 2.9 YPC, 2.5 Yards before contact
NO-54 passes, 22% 7 carries, 2.4 YPC, 1.31 YBC
Phi- 21 passes, 23% 16 carries, 2.9 YPC, 2.35 YBC
LAR-43 passes, 18.6% 23 carries, 3 YPC, 2.2 YBC
NYG-41 passes, 24.3% 19 carries, 2.4 YPC, 1.5 YBC
GB 2-53 passes, 26.4% 23 carries, 2.9 YPC, 1.3 YBC

For Mitch to be efficient he needs a running game that does not suck and that actually receives carries.

• Like 3

Just now, WindyCity said:

The more interesting piece is that the games where has the most bad throws are also the ones where the Bears cannot run the ball and throw a lot of passes.

Most of the games where he has been above average in "bad throws" have been games where he has thrown over 40 passes.

GB1- 45 passes, 17.7%
NO-54 passes, 22%
Phi- 21 passes, 23%
LAR-43 passes, 18.6%
NYG-41 passes, 24.3%
GB 2-53 passes, 26.4%

It is clear that Mitch is not the type of QB that you can throw 40+ passes with in a game, in fact many QBs are not.

My major issues is that you were not down more than a score at halftime in any of these games.

This screams game manager to me. Which is fine as we are coming to gripes with who he is as a QB. We just need to draft another QB and see if we hit pay dirt.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:
1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

For Mitch to be efficient he needs a running game that does not suck and that actually receives carries.

Coaching, OL and.....coaching.

How do you not commit to running the ball more or finding creative ways to run the ball more successfully?

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Coaching, OL and.....coaching.

How do you not commit to running the ball more or finding creative ways to run the ball more successfully?

Not being a smartass but is there a stat that shows how many 8+ man boxes the Bears offense is seeing? Perhaps they aren't running as much as we want because the opposing D's are daring Trubisky to beat them.

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Not being a smartass but is there a stat that shows how many 8+ man boxes the Bears offense is seeing? Perhaps they aren't running as much as we want because the opposing D's are daring Trubisky to beat them.

They are not though.  Did you not see the stat from this past week's game vs GB showing how the Packers were exclusively playing nickel/dime defense for majority of the game? And then Nagy goes and calls 53 pass attempts from Mitch in the bitter cold.  It's a joke really.

He is not doing the guy many favors at all.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

2 of those games the teams played 100% nickel and dime.

8 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

This screams game manager to me. Which is fine as we are coming to gripes with who he is as a QB. We just need to draft another QB and see if we hit pay dirt.

I am not even sure it screams game manager. The league average is 34.7 pass attempts a game. The playoff QBs are not asked to do this very often.

Playoff QBs

Jimmy G 2

Kirk Cousin 0

Deshaun Watson 2

Josh Allen 0

Dak Prescott 6 [1-5 record in those games]

MVPs

Pat Mahomes 4

Lamar Jackson 1

Russell Wilson 3

HOF

Aaron Rodgers 1

Drew Brees 4

Tom Brady 7

• Like 1

When you rewatch games there is drive after drive where 2 or more OL and/or TE that have done something bad that allows defense to totally disrupt the play or commits a penalty.  

It's not every play, but it's a lot of them.

Almost nothing is happening offensively as you would draw it up on paper.  Not on 3 consecutive plays anyway.

How much of that do you put on MT or Nagy or Montgomery?  I would put very little of it on Montgomery.  

I would certianly put some blame on MT who has not taken advantage of enough opportunities when present or available.   But I have never seen an offense function with this bad of execution by players other than the QB.   It just isn't possible.  There are no holes, no complementary running game and protection is consistently bad.  I think a lot goes on Nagy for not being able to address overall situation.  

I think the bulk of blame goes to O line and TEs though.  The play has been simply unacceptable this season.