Sign in to follow this  
Kiltman

Carmichael, Vermeil, Wistert - Hall of Fame Finalists

Carmichael, Vermeil, Wistert all named as Hall of Fame Finalists

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/****-vermeil-pro-football-hall-of-fame-eagles-harold-carmichael-al-wistert-team-of-the-decade-all-pro-super-bowl-championship-20191219.html

13035044833_09282b0b56_z.jpgron-jaworski-dick-vermeil-6e6c1e85e9c51b

**** Vermeil, who guided the Eagles to their first Super Bowl appearance and later won a Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams, is one of eight coaching finalists selected by a special panel for consideration as part of the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s class of 2020.

As part of its celebration of the 100th anniversary of the NFL, the Hall has expanded the number of inductees this season to include 10 senior players (players who last played more than 25 years ago), three contributors and two head coaches. The usual maximum five modern-era players also will be selected.

In addition to Vermeil, two former Eagles players — wide receiver Harold Carmichael and lineman Al Wistert — are among the 20 senior player finalists.

Carmichael, a four-time Pro Bowler and a member of the league’s All-Decade team of the ‘70s, played for the Eagles from 1971 through 1983. He is the Eagles’ all-time leader in receptions (589), receiving yards (8,978) and touchdowns (79).

Wistert, who played for the Eagles from 1943 through ’51, was a four-time All-Pro who was the starting right tackle on their back-to-back NFL-championship teams in 1948 and ’49. Wistert died three years ago at age 95.

Philadelphia native Steve Sabol, the late president of NFL Films, is one of 10 contributor finalists. Sabol passed away in 2012, just a year after his father, the founder of NFL Films, was inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Good for Harold, was a victim of the team he was on. But outshined a lot of his peers who got in.

I never watched him live... Carmichael doesn't seem like a HOFer to me from what I know. Vermeil absolutely should be.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

I never watched him live... Carmichael doesn't seem like a HOFer to me from what I know. Vermeil absolutely should be.

He was before his time..it was still such a running league when he played. 

When you compare him to other players of the 70s that are in the Hall, he outperformed them in a lot of stats or was in the same tier.
Only thing he didn't have was a good team around him for 2/3rds of his career which took away things that got people like Lynn Swann in (notable catches in the Super Bowl)

He kinda established or perhaps was the perfection of the Possession receiver archetype. Tall, 50/50 ball, enough athleticism/strength to make the first guy miss and get YAC.

It's purely a legacy player thing of his era. You compare him to any more modern player is obviously not much of a comparison.

I think him getting Man of the Year, being on the NFL's 1970s All-Decade team are things that will work in his favor come voting time too.

It's not a sure thing though for sure.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:45 PM, Danger said:

Harold Carmichael  ('71-'84)

590 receptions
8,985 yards
79 TD's
Not in the Hall of Fame

Fred Biletnikoff  ('65-'78)

589 receptions
8,974 yards
76 TD's
In the Hall of Fame

They played in the same era.
You can say all you want about the Raiders winning a Super Bowl
But, it wasn't due to just Biletnikoff.
If Carmichael had a cast around him like that for that many years he'd would have, too.
People just remember watching Biletnikoff in the playoffs on TV.
People like me ..... and Harold Carmichael.

The Stats

• 4-time Pro Bowl Selection (1973, 1978, 1979, 1980)

• 3-time Second-Team All-Pro (1973, 1979, 1980)

• NFL 1970s All-Decade Team

• 1980 NFL Man of the Year

• Carmichael led all NFL wide receivers in receptions (549), receiving yards (8,414) and receiving TDs (77) from 1973-83. He was the only NFL player with 500+ receiving yards every season from 1973-83.

From 1972-80, Carmichael set a then-NFL record with 127 consecutive games with a reception. 

1. During the streak, Carmichael led the NFL in receptions (432) and receiving TDs (66)
        and ranked 2nd in receiving yards  (6,590), trailing only Harold Jackson (6,641).

2. His 432 receptions were 39 more than the next closest players in that span: Reggie Rucker and Ahmad Rashad (393 each).
        His 66 receiving TDs were 9 more than the next closest player: Harold Jackson (57)

RECEPTIONS

During his career with the Eagles from 1971-83, Carmichael led the NFL with a franchise-record 589 receptions. In that span, his 589 receptions were 28 more than the next closest NFL player, Pro Football Hall of Famer Charlie Joiner (561).

By the end of his Eagles career in 1983, Carmichael was tied with Pro Football Hall of Famer Fred Biletnikoff for the fifth-most receptions (589) in NFL history. The four players ahead of him on the list at the time – Charley Taylor, Don Maynard, Raymond Berry, and Charlie Joiner – are also all Pro Football Hall of Famers.

RECEIVING YARDS

During his career with the Eagles from 1971-83, Carmichael ranked second in the NFL with a franchise-record 8,978 receiving yards, trailing only Pro Football Hall of Famer Charlie Joiner (9,488).

By the end of his Eagles career in 1983, Carmichael ranked seventh in NFL history with 8,978 receiving yards. Five of the six players ahead of him on the list at the time – Don Maynard, Lance Alworth, Charlie Joiner, Raymond Berry, and Charley Taylor – are also Pro Football Hall of Famers.

RECEIVING TOUCHDOWNS

During his career with the Eagles from 1971-83, Carmichael led the NFL with a franchise-record 79 receiving touchdowns. In that span, his 79 receiving touchdowns were 12 more than the next closest NFL player, Cliff Branch (67).

• Carmichael recorded 9 consecutive seasons with 5+ receiving TDs from 1973-81. Carmichael is one of only nine receivers in NFL history to produce such a streak, joining Tim Brown (11, 1991-2001), Cris Carter (11, 1991-2001), Marvin Harrison (11, 1996-2006), Don Hutson (11, 1935-45), Terrell Owens (11, 2000-10), Jerry Rice (11, 1986-96), Don Maynard (10, 1960-69) and Marques Colston (9, 2006-14). Among that group, all but Colston are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

• From 1971-83, Carmichael registered more 5+ TD, 6+ TD and 7+ TD seasons than any other NFL player. He tied with Pro Football Hall of Famer Steve Largent (5) for the most 8+ TD seasons in that span.

• From 1971-83, Carmichael led all NFL wide receivers and ranked 4th overall with 30 go-ahead TDs, behind Pro Football Hall of Famers John Riggins (35), Walter Payton (34) and Franco Harris (31).

• From 1971-83, Carmichael led all NFL wide receivers and ranked second overall with 37 game-tying or go-ahead TDs, trailing only John Riggins (45) in that span.

Carmichael's 180 career games with the Eagles are the most ever by a wide receiver in franchise history. From 1972-83, Carmichael played in 162 consecutive games, which is tied with Jon Dorenbos for the longest streak in team history.

I remember parking about a mile from the Vet because it was only $5 and walking to the game in the freezing cold with my dad.
I got a hot chocolate which was a half-a-pack of powdered mess with super hot water on top and a tiny wood stick to stir it and it never mixed.
Then the Eagles found a new and interesting way to lose ... mostly missed kicks (FG's and PAT's).
That was what I thought being an Eagles fan meant.

The only saving grace was watching Harold Carmichael dominate.
If the Eagles were going to win, it was because of him.

Also, he was a great person.
You could go to his house, knock on the front door and ask for an autograph.
He would oblige.

I don't know how "Christian" he might be, but by definition he acted like it.
I've never seen him brag or taunt or do anything ego-maniacal.
He was my hero like Garry Maddox, Bobby Jones or my dad for those reasons.

A Big CONGRATULATIONS to Harold Carmichael!