Week 16 GDT: New Orleans Saints (11-3) @ Tennesse Titans (8-6) - Will real slim Saints please stand up?

Canadian Saint

9 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Overall, I wish this was a more convincing win. The entire season I've pointed to reasons a or b or c we need to figure out, but frankly, we're running out of weeks. This team can win the superbowl, but we keep starting slow and shooting ourselves in the foot, we're going to be one and done material. Simple as that.

It would be nice, but Titans with Tannehill in there are a good team.  I think Tannehill had the second highest passer rating in the league after Brees coming into the game.  It was also raining, and since when have the Saints been known to be at their best in the rain?  I think it was a good win.  Some ugly defense, and ugly offense to start the game, but you can't ask for more than 38 points on the road in the rain.  I was expecting that a Saints win today would look more like 20-17, I didn't think we'd ever score 38.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It would be nice, but Titans with Tannehill in there are a good team.  I think Tannehill had the second highest passer rating in the league after Brees coming into the game.  It was also raining, and since when have the Saints been known to be at their best in the rain?  I think it was a good win.  Some ugly defense, and ugly offense to start the game, but you can't ask for more than 38 points on the road in the rain.  I was expecting that a Saints win today would look more like 20-17, I didn't think we'd ever score 38.

I disagree. Championship teams should have championship standards. Tannehill played great, and the Titans are well coached, but some of our  mistakes today were self inflicted. The rain didn't cause our penalties. Nor did the rain cause shoulder tackles. Yeah the offense stepped up, but we're going to face better teams than the Titans in the playoffs. When that happens, if we keep repeating the same mistakes, they'll take advantage of them moreso than the Titans did.

I'm not saying it's a bad performance, but we need both offense and defense to be more consistent going into the playoffs. We can't be lacking in certain areas to such a degree if we want superbowl aspirations.

Marcus Williams.....🙄

Rough start for our Saints. Glad they decided to wake up though. 

PRob showed up in a big way today.

Jenkins didn't look too bad either. Once he gets more comfortable I think he'll do great. TD pass he gave up was just a great throw and catch.

Go Vikings? 🤢

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SWATcha said:

Marcus Williams.....🙄

Rough start for our Saints. Glad they decided to wake up though. 

PRob showed up in a big way today.

Jenkins didn't look too bad either. Once he gets more comfortable I think he'll do great. TD pass he gave up was just a great throw and catch.

Go Vikings? 🤢

I must say I enjoyed doing the Skol chant sarcastically at work this past week because of this current scenario, as I live in Minnesota and my coworker's pretty much all still hate the Saints because of the 2009 season. 

Edited by tyler735

I'm excited to see if CGJ can play FS. Bell is a stud at SS...and CGJ is a gamer...looks like a guy who is going to have a long future in the league. Williams CANNOT tackle. Goodness he is frustrating to watch. You won't have thought that he would have been coached up by now...still a good guy in deep coverage but man he sucks at tackling. 

• Like 1

A win is a win. Penalties have killed us all year. Every game a few every game are way to ticky tacky  for me.  Payton has pissed off the refs and it shows. Oline needs to play more consistently. Like I said before the biggest missing peace is Davenport... He was playing just as well as Cam before he went down. Cgj is gonna make flash plays every game. We stole him in the draft. He’s playin like the best rookie DB this season imo. Hope jackrabbit gets up to speed so we can keep apple on the bench. I’ll take it we still put up 38 even with that ugly first quarter. Could be worse.... could he like Dallas. No heart bad coach and crappy play calling. Lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Baldbob said:

A win is a win. Penalties have killed us all year. Every game a few every game are way to ticky tacky  for me.  Payton has pissed off the refs and it shows. Oline needs to play more consistently. Like I said before the biggest missing peace is Davenport... He was playing just as well as Cam before he went down. Cgj is gonna make flash plays every game. We stole him in the draft. He’s playin like the best rookie DB this season imo. Hope jackrabbit gets up to speed so we can keep apple on the bench. I’ll take it we still put up 38 even with that ugly first quarter. Could be worse.... could he like Dallas. No heart bad coach and crappy play calling. Lol

Agreed...our pass rush has really suffered the past few weeks without Davenport and Rankins (probably more due to Davenport). I'm interested in seeing if Granderson can be a bigger contributor. Hendrickson is pretty solid but he gets washed out a ton.

4 minutes ago, Baldbob said:

Dez wants to tryout for the saints/ ravens. What do you guys think. I say no. To late to form chemistry at this point. He’s been on the shelf for 2 years now. 

I mean a tryout, sure.  Making the roster... well he needs to really show something in the tryout to warrant that.

1 hour ago, ckoz24 said:

Hasn’t he already tried out with the Saints? Or was the injury limiting his ability?

I don't think he's tried out this year, last year he did, made the team, and then tore his achilles IIRC during his first or second practice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

- MT. Record holder on a record that has lasted 17 seasons. I think his will stand for a while. Incredible talent and a really good dude. Never pouts. Never half ***** it. Always balls. Worth every penny.

Thomas's record came in 29 fewer pass targets than Harrison's. That tells me that the "Can't guard Mike" name is accurate, and so is Drew Brees, accurate!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baldbob said:

Dez wants to tryout for the saints/ ravens. What do you guys think. I say no. To late to form chemistry at this point. He’s been on the shelf for 2 years now. 

I wouldn't say no. In fact, if he were to come in, I think now, although not ideal, is a good time. 1 regular game, hopefully a bye, and then the playoffs. It won't be perfect, but he has a history of being able to get open, and he WILL high point and win contested catches.

I think of Jared Cook. It took a few weeks for he & Brees to get on the same timing page, and then it got fun!

Brees can't rely on Ginn any more, which basically leaves Thomas, Cook, and Smith at receiver. Ginn is essentially a deep threat guy, but Brees isn't anymore. That's going to be tough in the playoffs. We need a guy who can run a tight route, has a big body, and is committed. AND....he want's to play for the Saints! He's said that time & time again.

Let's give this guy a shot!!

8 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Thomas's record came in 29 fewer pass targets than Harrison's. That tells me that the "Can't guard Mike" name is accurate, and so is Drew Brees, accurate!

I'd also mention that the next leading WR on the team is Ted Ginn who has a whopping 29 catches. Kamara and Cook have more, but as far as threats on the outside at WR, Thomas has had no other WR to really put fear into opposing DB's, which makes this feat all the more impressive since it has been easier for defenses to roll extra coverage towards Michael Thomas.

• Like 1