POTENTIAL DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR PROSPECTS

Karnage84

With the way that this defense has been playing, it was inevitable that there would be changes to the defensive staff. I fully expect Pasqualoni to be relieved of his duties. I'm looking at guys who have crossed paths with Patricia and/or come from the NE coaching tree. 

• Jerod Mayo, ILB Coach, New England Patriots (33): Mayo was a longtime player with the Patriots and has a strong understanding of the Patriots style defense. The downside is that he only has one year of coaching experience. However, he has been calling the plays alongside Steve Bellichick this year. Some articles indicate that Mayo has been doing the bulk of the playcalling, which he would have had experience doing as a player. Patricia is still going to have his hands in on the defense but he'd be working with a guy that knows what he wants and how to execute it on the field. We have seen the speedy ascension of Mike Vrabel into the HC role in Tennessee, I wouldn't rule out Mayo as a similar guy who will climb the ladder a little faster than the traditional route.

• Brendan Daly, DL Coach, Kansas City (44): Daly was the Defensive Line coach for the Patriots from 2015-2018. He's been around the league for some time, with a couple stints with the Vikings, Rams and Patriots. He is currently with the Chiefs. DL Chris Jones is a part of Daly's unit and his hiring could help sway Jones to becoming a part of the solution in figuring out this defense. The Chiefs defense has been a bit of a disappointment and they haven't been particularly stout against the run. Daly might not offer up a lot more but he's a veteran guy that Patricia knows. 

• Mike Pellegrino, CB Coach, New England (26): Pellegrino was a Defensive Assistant when Patricia was in NE and he has since been promoted to CB Coach. The Patriots defense has been very solid this year and they have gotten excellent play from guys like Stephon Gilmore. Pellegrino is young and could be an ascending defensive mind. I'm not sure it's the best move in a do-or-die situation but he's at least someone to consider. 

• John Pagano, Senior Defensive Assistant/OLB Coach, Houston (52): Pagano didn't work for Patricia in New England, however he is working for fellow Bellichick disciple Bill O'Brien and Romeo Crennel. He has a lot of experience as the DC for the Chargers (2012 - 2016) and Raiders (2017). 

• Josh Boyer, CB Coach, Miami Dolphins (42): Boyer has a long history with the Patriots, starting as a Defensive Assistant in 2006 and becoming the DB Coach (2009 - 2011) and CB Coach (2012 - 2018). He recently moved to Miami with Brian Flores and is the passing game coordinator/CB Coach for the Dolphins. He just made the move to Miami and is essentially a co-DC, so I don't know how motivated he would be to come to Detroit in what is only a promotion in name (and maybe some salary). Boyer would be a bit higher on this list if he had a full  2 or 3 years with Miami as opposed to just 1. 

John Pagano has had the most experience out of all of these guys. Here's how his defenses have ranked

SAN DIEGO

• 2012 - 5th Overall (Pass - 18th/Run - 6th)
  • 2013 - 23rd Overall (Pass - 29th/Run - 12th)
  • 2014 - 24th Overall (Pass - 4th/Run - 26th)
  • 2015 - 13th Overall (Pass - 14th/Run - 27th)
  • 2016 - 17th Overall (Pass - 20th/Run - 10th)

OAKLAND

• 2017 - 10th Overall (Pass - 26th/Run - 12th)

AVERAGE - 15th Overall (Pass - 18.5/ Run - 15)

In comparison, the Lions currently have the 31st Overall Defense (Pass - 31st/Run - 18th)

7 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

John Pagano has had the most experience out of all of these guys. Here's how his defenses have ranked

SAN DIEGO

• 2012 - 5th Overall (Pass - 18th/Run - 6th)
  • 2013 - 23rd Overall (Pass - 29th/Run - 12th)
  • 2014 - 24th Overall (Pass - 4th/Run - 26th)
  • 2015 - 13th Overall (Pass - 14th/Run - 27th)
  • 2016 - 17th Overall (Pass - 20th/Run - 10th)

OAKLAND

• 2017 - 10th Overall (Pass - 26th/Run - 12th)

AVERAGE - 15th Overall (Pass - 18.5/ Run - 15)

In comparison, the Lions currently have the 31st Overall Defense (Pass - 31st/Run - 18th)

no thank you. and yeah cause they are the worst we settle for average? lol.. its a new league lets get some new guys. those old coaches are average for a reason...they arent adapting 

• Like 1

Call me crazy but Rex Ryan.

Has the experience with the 3-4 defense which while MP is multiple fronts his start was a 3-4 scheme. Both believe LBers are the key to the defense. While Rex Ryan is ultra aggressive and MP is ultra conservative they are both great defensive minds that I think could balance each other out.

19 minutes ago, BZski said:

Call me crazy but Rex Ryan.

Has the experience with the 3-4 defense which while MP is multiple fronts his start was a 3-4 scheme. Both believe LBers are the key to the defense. While Rex Ryan is ultra aggressive and MP is ultra conservative they are both great defensive minds that I think could balance each other out.

Do you think those personalities could mesh? 

I can't help but think if I was an up and coming defensive coach in the NFL, working as Patricia's D coordinator would be about the least appealing job possible. He's going to run it his way, damned with your opinion, then when it sucks, you'll either be the scapegoat (Pasqualoni) or the entire staff will be fired. If somehow it's a good defense Patricia's gonna get the credit as a defensive guru.

Not a lot of upside imo.

Edited by Nnivolcm
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 9:03 PM, NFL_Fan said:

no thank you. and yeah cause they are the worst we settle for average? lol.. its a new league lets get some new guys. those old coaches are average for a reason...they arent adapting 

There's a 26 yo CB coach that could be an option. It just comes down to what Patricia wants from his DC. He brought in Pasqualoni as a very experienced coach with shared philosophies. It obviously didn't work out and Patricia is going to have to take on more of the defensive duties. However, does he just want someone to give him a hand or does he want someone to be more of a lead on the defense and allow him to focus on the macro level of the team? 

On 12/21/2019 at 6:22 PM, Nnivolcm said:

I can't help but think if I was an up and coming defensive coach in the NFL, working as Patricia's D coordinator would be about the least appealing job possible. He's going to run it his way, damned with your opinion, then when it sucks, you'll either be the scapegoat (Pasqualoni) or the entire staff will be fired. If somehow it's a good defense Patricia's gonna get the credit as a defensive guru.

Not a lot of upside imo.

There is some truth to this but it's not entirely accurate. There is a clear difference on offense with the addition of Bevell. No one would dispute his impact. If there's a huge turnaround on defense, the new DC is going to get some acknowledgement as the difference between a 31st ranked defense and a much improved unit. 

If Jerod Mayo is the hire, Patricia delegates defensive playcalling to him and the defense takes a huge jump - (Mayo) is going to get some buzz as a future HC prospect. 

6 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

There is some truth to this but it's not entirely accurate. There is a clear difference on offense with the addition of Bevell. No one would dispute his impact. If there's a huge turnaround on defense, the new DC is going to get some acknowledgement as the difference between a 31st ranked defense and a much improved unit. 

If Jerod Mayo is the hire, Patricia delegates defensive playcalling to him and the defense takes a huge jump - (Mayo) is going to get some buzz as a future HC prospect. 

Since it's 100% my opinion it's 100% accurate.