Sitting bowl game

Abe56

I know there are some but few have came out and said it yet.  Personally, unless the guy is injured and not fully healthy, just play the game, sure you could get hurt but that could happen at any point in time.  Jordan Love could have sat the bowl game but played in it instead, sure they did not win but I thought he impressed out there and put some more good tape for his final college game.  Take Daniel Jones last year, did quite well in his final bowl game and look at how high he jumped in the drafted compared to Will Grier who fell like a rock and sat the bowl game.  So sitting and preparing is not always what it seems.  

I heard maybe Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson might skip the bowl?  What would be nuts, both guys came back for their senior years and had a great seasons for Auburn.  Came back and wanted to accomplish something, did that by beating Bama and having a good year and with a big bowl game win would go out on top.  If they sit that would be shocking I feel. 

Here is what Nick Saban said on the issue. Saban did bring this up before when the Playoff was created and he is correct, it makes the other bowl games meaningless to many football players when in reality it should not be.  It is their final game for that program in their college career.  Like Saban said it can help a player sometimes, sure there is the Jaylon Smith situation but last time I checked he more than made up for the fact he got drafted lower with his second contract in the NFL.

"(The players can) look at this as an opportunity to enhance their future by playing really well and maybe improving their draft status," Saban said. "That’s what we’ll emphasize to our older players on the team. And they’ll all have a choice to make.

"When you have guys that don’t play in bowl games and they do play in the playoffs, that in itself tells you the view of the players in terms of how they look at the bowl game. Because we have made everything about the playoffs in college football.”

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I know there are some but few have came out and said it yet.  Personally, unless the guy is injured and not fully healthy, just play the game, sure you could get hurt but that could happen at any point in time.  Jordan Love could have sat the bowl game but played in it instead, sure they did not win but I thought he impressed out there and put some more good tape for his final college game.  Take Daniel Jones last year, did quite well in his final bowl game and look at how high he jumped in the drafted compared to Will Grier who fell like a rock and sat the bowl game.  So sitting and preparing is not always what it seems.  

I heard maybe Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson might skip the bowl?  What would be nuts, both guys came back for their senior years and had a great seasons for Auburn.  Came back and wanted to accomplish something, did that by beating Bama and having a good year and with a big bowl game win would go out on top.  If they sit that would be shocking I feel. 

Here is what Nick Saban said on the issue. Saban did bring this up before when the Playoff was created and he is correct, it makes the other bowl games meaningless to many football players when in reality it should not be.  It is their final game for that program in their college career.  Like Saban said it can help a player sometimes, sure there is the Jaylon Smith situation but last time I checked he more than made up for the fact he got drafted lower with his second contract in the NFL.

"(The players can) look at this as an opportunity to enhance their future by playing really well and maybe improving their draft status," Saban said. "That’s what we’ll emphasize to our older players on the team. And they’ll all have a choice to make.

"When you have guys that don’t play in bowl games and they do play in the playoffs, that in itself tells you the view of the players in terms of how they look at the bowl game. Because we have made everything about the playoffs in college football.”

1. No body is suggesting that you have to sit. It is a risk assessment.

2. I find it laughable that you can change your draft stock too much based on 1 game.  Really unless you are on a non power 5 team and this is one of your few chances against top competition there isn't much to gain. That or an injury plagued season where you want to show you are healed.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:29 PM, mse326 said:

1. No body is suggesting that you have to sit. It is a risk assessment.

2. I find it laughable that you can change your draft stock too much based on 1 game.  Really unless you are on a non power 5 team and this is one of your few chances against top competition there isn't much to gain. That or an injury plagued season where you want to show you are healed.

Harrison Bryant was apparently ill but my guess is he just skipped the game.  Did it matter?  No but sure would have been nice to see him out there, especially when few did, even when he was at FAU, but sure SR John Raine got a chance to play more at TE and did great.   

Trey Adams and Hunter Bryant on Washington both sat the bowl game but both have had really bad knee injuries twice each, did not matter in that one either.  I am sure that is the reason they do not want to blow the knee again for a third time.  So yeah there are injury reasons no question.

Senior UCF linebacker Nate Evans said this about it all.

“I definitely understand why some guys might sit out,” said Evans, who leads the team with 100 tackles. "Some may have different personal reasons as others, but I completely understand. I can’t knock them. Of course, they have a future to prepare for, but I just want to play this game with my brothers. I came in and started something, and I just want to finish strong.  It’s been all good vibes, good memories with these guys, and I just want to finish strong and go out with another win and celebrate.”

Or LJ Collier who are the time said this about playing his bowl game.  

"At the time, I didn't know I was going to be a high draft pick," he said. "I needed the bowl game to play in.  I had to play.  And my team, there wasn't any depth behind us, so I made the decision.  Hey, my team needed me, so I was going to play."

Or the Boise State corner who got injured in their bowl game but he does not have a NFL future, was a senior and was emotionally crying after the injury because that will be the last football game he probably ever plays in his life.  And what 95-99% of the guys and or seniors that is exactly the case, the last football game they will probably ever play.  To go and say, forget that man I have a chance to maybe be a pro so I am going to sit this one out when I am totally healthy.  Then why not sit 10 games into your final year and skip the last few ones if you had 10 good ones?  Might get hurt right?  

They can do whatever they want of course, but it does say a little something about those who do sit that are perfectly healthy and able to play.  But it is in vogue right now, if you are a top level prospect or think of yourself as a big time prospect then sit, no one will have a problem with it.  

This is the updated list of players skipping the bowl game I believe.  Could add Harrison Bryant to that but I have read some things he was sick as well.

Nick Coe
Kamal Martin
Terrell Lewis
Trevon Diggs
Andrew Thomas
Brandon Aiyuk
Cam Akers
AJ Dillon
Hunter Bryant
Trey Adams
Justin Madubuike
Brandon Wimbush
Trevon Hill
Cameron Dantzler
CJ Henderson
Jonathan Garvin

Nick Coe makes no sense, the guy had a bad year, zero sacks and he is skipping the bowl game.  Honestly why he is even coming out for the draft after such a poor season I do not know.  He will get picked sure but not that high.  Lewis on Bama has an awful injury history so like Adams and Bryant on Washington he sits.  Andrew Thomas seems odd to me why he is sitting, and the RBs Akers and Dillon I guess most RBs make that choice.  Martin was hurt this year a few times but why skip a big bowl I do not know.  Diggs has not even played well this year but does have an injury history etc.

Guys can make the choice and do what they want, but at this rate why would any prospect ever play in a bowl game.  Why don't they all just sit, if it is your last game in college and it is not the playoff sit it out?  Odd but that is where it is going.  But coaches do the same thing so that says a pretty loud message as well. 

You don't see guys on NDSU sitting out the semifinal because of risk of injury before the draft.  Maybe because that means more in a playoff system.  Top 16 teams play but then that means all the big bowl games would be gone so not sure that would fly either.  All of this just because of the Playoff and adding one more game, but it is basically the case.  

If I was planning on an NFL career and not the top 4 playoff teams I'd sit.

All these 'bowls' are just extra cash grabs for everyone but the players. Sitting out will one day get players payed. Bank on it. Schools will want that bowl and if lots sit out then...Bowls might take that into consideration when it comes to giving out the big bucks.

• Like 1

Every yr we hear about players not playing. Don't hear one person complaining about HC leaving kids high and dry for bowl gms. It's only the broke kids that need to show how much pride they have for a school who cares nothing about them. Not the HC the school has paid millions of dollars to. Lol fans only care about their school winning a bowl gm so they can brag about it. They don't care about these kids.

• Like 2