Jrry32 First Mock Off-Season (12/21/19)

jrry32

On 12/22/2019 at 9:43 PM, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Whose the slow Rapp-Kupp guy that has a high grade but will drop in this draft? Snead seems like a beast picking up these little gems. 

My gut instinct says Paddy Fisher.  Guy's going to likely run in the low 4.6's, might scratch 4.56 or 4.57 if he's extremely fortunate, but he plays faster than that and he has enough range for what we'd need him to do as a true MIKE and tone-setter.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 10:27 PM, The LBC said:

My gut instinct says Paddy Fisher.  Guy's going to likely run in the low 4.6's, might scratch 4.56 or 4.57 if he's extremely fortunate, but he plays faster than that and he has enough range for what we'd need him to do as a true MIKE and tone-setter.

You watched Evan Weaver?

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I need to do a deeper dive on him, because he's kind of like the Burrow of linebackers - you don't want to question the production because it's nuts, but IIRC isn't he kind of a one-year wonder?

Nah. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/evan-weaver-1.html

It'll depend on the defense we run next year. If we stay in the 3-4, he makes a lot of sense. Could hide his man coverage deficiencies. I saw James Laurinaitis as a comparison, and I think it's a good one. Should be a solid to good player in the right scheme.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Weird comp I keep coming back to @jrry32, do you see any Danielle Hunter in K'Lavon Chaisson?  I'm not just talking the both went to LSU bit, but their builds, traits, and progressions to this point where they did/might come out appear really similar.

No idea, honestly.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:52 PM, rocky_rams said:

I like this. But I think Whit retires.

I would also cut Matthews. Dude misses too many tackles.

And I agree with Weddle being cut more than once. He’s my least fav signing in a long time. 

I want us to go edge or LT in the second round though

Also, I don’t like the Dan Quinn hire. Dude never adjusts his scheme. I would see what happens to Anthony Lynn, Vic Fangio, and Ron Rivera. Or poach Richard from the cowboys 

Anthony Lynn was a RB coach before he was the Chargers HC.  Gus Bradley is who the Chargers' DC is and watching him for the past several season, he's OK, but he's someone that really needs to have strong position coaches to back him up because his scheme is extremely conceptual (variations on a theme), and frankly we'd need to pretty heavily overhaul our LB corps to deploy it.  The Bradley scheme really hasn't hummed in many incarnations outside of the LOB with perennial All-Pro Bobby Wagner leading it and Kris Richard's Dallas defense when Leighton VanderEsch was healthy.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:52 PM, The LBC said:

Anthony Lynn was a RB coach before he was the Chargers HC.  Gus Bradley is who the Chargers' DC is and watching him for the past several season, he's OK, but he's someone that really needs to have strong position coaches to back him up because his scheme is extremely conceptual (variations on a theme), and frankly we'd need to pretty heavily overhaul our LB corps to deploy it.  The Bradley scheme really hasn't hummed in many incarnations outside of the LOB with perennial All-Pro Bobby Wagner leading it and Kris Richard's Dallas defense when Leighton VanderEsch was healthy.

I made a mistake. I meant Vance Joseph instead of Anthony Lynn. I think Joseph is a solid DC if the Cards decide to move on

I would take Anthony Lynn as an offensive assistant if he gets fired 

22 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

I made a mistake. I meant Vance Joseph instead of Anthony Lynn. I think Joseph is a solid DC if the Cards decide to move on

I would take Anthony Lynn as an offensive assistant if he gets fired 

Solid enough.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind (you know, if I could remember his damn name!) the guy who was anointed as the Chosen One to replace Wade in Denver when Joseph was their HC.  Joe Woods - would also help that, since he's classified as a "Passing Game Coordinator" and - I don't believe - couldn't be told not to interview, he'd weaken a divisional opponent since he's on Shanahan's staff in San Fran now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Solid enough.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind (you know, if I could remember his damn name!) the guy who was anointed as the Chosen One to replace Wade in Denver when Joseph was their HC.  Joe Woods - would also help that, since he's classified as a "Passing Game Coordinator" and - I don't believe - couldn't be told not to interview, he'd weaken a divisional opponent since he's on Shanahan's staff in San Fran now.

Joe Woods would be an interesting one, but unless the rules have changed, all assistant coach positions are considered lateral moves (including coordinators). Basically, if he's under contract, the 49ers could block it.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Joe Woods would be an interesting one, but unless the rules have changed, all assistant coach positions are considered lateral moves (including coordinators). Basically, if he's under contract, the 49ers could block it.

And they've done exactly that, hindered people getting coordinator promotions multiple times under shanny. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

And they've done exactly that, hindered people getting coordinator promotions multiple times under shanny. 

And I feel like that's something that's, eventually, going to have to be addressed by the league, particularly once the links of the perpetual-nepotism chain start aging out (which a number of them are already- or pushing 70 at this point).  I could see an argument where a hiring club would need to compensate the coach's club that he's currently contracted to by buying out the remaining contract, but blocking what would be, title-wise at least, promotional opportunities outright is taking a step down a road that leads the league to stagnation in my estimation.  The relative parity right now is a good thing for them, money-making and media wise, allowing certain teams to horde coaches under what is basically a technicality (Thanks, Carroll...) poses an eventual threat to that.

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Random Thought, didnt know where to put it, so here is as good as any...

Knowing our Draft assets (or lack-there-of) how high would you Trade Up for Tyler Biadsaz?

I think he goes higher than most are counting on.  He would have been my top-rated center last year and I was a huge Garrett Bradbury fan, so that should put it in context.  Bradbury broke the Top 20 and I think that's Biadasz's floor.  If I were confident he wasn't just a pure center (i.e. he could project to play other IOL spots), I'd probably believe he'd be a lock for the Top 15.  But, as is, the top center in the class has gone somewhere between picks 18 and 21 for all but 1 of the last 5 drafts.

Fortunately, I'm also pretty high on Matt Hennessey out of Temple (one of the last classes that Matt Rhule recruited for Temple, but their OL coach until this past year, and that guy (Chris Wiesehan) was legit.  I want to watch some more tape on them, but Arizona State's Cohl Cabral is really intriguing, in that he fits the mold of guys like Max Unger that Kromer's teams have gone out of their way to bring in.  Could say similar things about Michigan's Cesar Ruiz, but I've faded on him a little because I'm always suspect of guys who carry a lot of hype and then underachieve on OL's loaded with returning upperclassmen and seniors.

7 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Random Thought, didnt know where to put it, so here is as good as any...

Knowing our Draft assets (or lack-there-of) how high would you Trade Up for Tyler Biadsaz?

Funny you ask that. Stay tuned for my next mock.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

I think he goes higher than most are counting on.  He would have been my top-rated center last year and I was a huge Garrett Bradbury fan, so that should put it in context.  Bradbury broke the Top 20 and I think that's Biadasz's floor.  If I were confident he wasn't just a pure center (i.e. he could project to play other IOL spots), I'd probably believe he'd be a lock for the Top 15.  But, as is, the top center in the class has gone somewhere between picks 18 and 21 for all but 1 of the last 5 drafts.

Fortunately, I'm also pretty high on Matt Hennessey out of Temple (one of the last classes that Matt Rhule recruited for Temple, but their OL coach until this past year, and that guy (Chris Wiesehan) was legit.  I want to watch some more tape on them, but Arizona State's Cohl Cabral is really intriguing, in that he fits the mold of guys like Max Unger that Kromer's teams have gone out of their way to bring in.  Could say similar things about Michigan's Cesar Ruiz, but I've faded on him a little because I'm always suspect of guys who carry a lot of hype and then underachieve on OL's loaded with returning upperclassmen and seniors.

Oddly enough, Biadasz seems to be falling. Seen him fall out of Round 1 on multiple mocks, including mocks from people who aren't jokes (like Brugler). Seen him rated in the second round on a solid number of boards. I don't get it. Let me put it this way, if he's there at the end of the first round, I'm going to get him. I'll have to watch Hennessey.

• Like 1