Jrry32 First Mock Off-Season (12/21/19)

jrry32

Well, the season is officially over. I think we're all mad about how it ended. I almost have put a mock out a couple times, but I decided to hold off. As always, I'm not trying to guess what the Rams will do. That would be futile. Based on my knowledge of our schemes, tendencies, and philosophy, I'm going to say what I'd do if I were in the Rams' shoes.

Coaching

Replace DC Wade Phillips (retirement) with DC Dan Quinn

I'm making a couple assumptions here. First, I think Wade is going to choose retirement over being replaced. 

Cut

S Eric Weddle

I wish I could cut him more than once. I'm so fed up with his performance.

Noteworthy Re-signs

K Greg Zuerlein

OT Andrew Whitworth

I am hopeful that Whit has another year left in him. If he doesn't, I'd target Cordy Glenn or Ty Nsekhe. Yes, we're letting Fowler and Littleton walk. I don't take pleasure in that, but we have to make hard decisions. Littleton's price tag is too high for me. I don't trust Fowler to live up to his contract based on his sparse track record. That might be a mistake, but it's my call. I think we land comp picks for both, which is important.

Free Agency

9184823.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Christian Kirksey LB

Browns will almost certainly cut Kirksey after Mack Wilson stepped up and played well following Kirksey's injury. Kirksey has had some durability issues the past couple years, but Browns fans were really bummed when he got hurt this year. They said he was playing quite well. I think he's a great option for us for two reasons: (1) he'll be a cut who doesn't cost us a comp pick and (2) he'll be a relative bargain. Alec Ogletree is another player likely to be cut who would make sense for us (I know some of y'all weren't fans of his, but I think he could be a steal at the right price).

quinton-jefferson-jadevon-clowney-getty-620x370.jpg

Quinton Jefferson DL

I'm a fan of Quinton Jefferson. I feel like he's always disruptive when we play the Seahawks, and it bothers me because he was on our practice squad a few years ago. I think he's a great bargain signing who can play different roles on the DL. I could see him breaking out with Donald taking up so much attention.

NFL Draft

Round 2 Pick #19 - David Woodward MLB Utah State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gbdkPJ2518

Analysis: Woodward is a complete LB. He can cover, he can run sideline to sideline, and he can play through blocks as a run defender. When he hits players, they go down. Very productive LB at Utah State. Missed half the season due to injury and is highly underrated right now due to that.

Round 3 Pick #20 - Nick Harris C Washington

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQvM-7Q9Jo

Analysis: I did not want to like Harris because he's another small Center (like Brian Allen). But I couldn't help myself while watching his film. He's perfect for our scheme. Quick feet, phenomenal blocker on the move and second level, outstanding use of angles and positioning to create holes, and a great help blocker. A lot of starting experience and played both Center and Guard in college. I think he's a Day 1 starter here.

Round 3 Pick #41 - Josh Uche EDGE Michigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTCNK1ocNKw

Analysis: Uche is a bit of a project, but his tools are off the charts. He's smooth and adept in coverage, which is surprising for an edge. But he also has crazy power for a guy who is only 6'2" 250. Explosive get-off with the ability to bull 330+ pound OTs into the QB's lap. Needs to develop more nuanced rush plans, better counters, and a go-to pass rush move, but he has so much potential because he has the speed to corner and the punch/power to bully OLs.

Round 4 Pick #19 - Antoine Winfield Jr. S Minnesota

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epFOM_kkG0Q

Analysis: Winfield is a smart football player with quality instincts and plenty of versatility as a safety. Despite being undersized, he hits very hard and is quite strong. Has some man cover and ball skills as a former CB. Shows no fear flying downhill and stick his nose in on running plays. Should be a special teams demon. Leader of Minnesota defense. Can get himself into trouble by being overaggressive on play action.

Round 6 Pick #19 - Jeff Thomas WR Miami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3z-7aS17hc

Analysis: Thomas is an interesting player. Had some clashes with the coaching staffs at Miami. However, he's got unreal talent that was held back by the bad QB play. Fast, quick, body control, and explosive leaping ability. Great return man. Catches the ball well. He has a ton of potential in our scheme and can replace Natson as the returner. Kid just needs to keep his head screwed on straight.

Round 7 Pick #20 - Tyler Huntley QB Utah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRPvOscVLE

Analysis: Good athlete with a NFL caliber arm who played quite well in a scheme with a lot of pro style components. Has had some injury issues in college and is a bit undersized, but he makes sound decisions, takes care of the ball, and possesses good accuracy. I think he'd be a great developmental backup behind Goff. Athleticism adds a new dimension, he doesn't throw many INTs, and he thrived in college in a play-action heavy scheme.

Projected Starters

QB: Jared Goff

HB: Todd Gurley

XWR: Brandin Cooks

ZWR: Robert Woods

SLWR: Cooper Kupp

TE: Tyler Higbee

LT: Andrew Whitworth (might consider sliding him inside when Noteboom is healthy)

LG: Competition

C: Nick Harris

RG: David Edwards

RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Quinton Jefferson

NT: Greg Gaines

UT: Aaron Donald

LEO: Clay Matthews

WLB: Christian Kirksey

MLB: David Woodward

SLB: Samson Ebukam

LCB: Jalen Ramsey

RCB: Troy Hill

SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman v. David Long Jr.

FS: John Johnson III

SS: Taylor Rapp

K: Greg Zuerlein

P: Johnny Hekker

LS: Jake McQuaide

RS: Jeff Thomas

• Like 3

I like this. But I think Whit retires.

I would also cut Matthews. Dude misses too many tackles.

And I agree with Weddle being cut more than once. He’s my least fav signing in a long time. 

I want us to go edge or LT in the second round though

Also, I don’t like the Dan Quinn hire. Dude never adjusts his scheme. I would see what happens to Anthony Lynn, Vic Fangio, and Ron Rivera. Or poach Richard from the cowboys 

Edited by rocky_rams

3 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I like this. But I think Whit retires.

I would also cut Matthews. Dude misses too many tackles.

And I agree with Weddle being cut more than once. He’s my least fav signing in a long time. 

I want us to go edge or LT in the second round though

Also, I don’t like the Dan Quinn hire. Dude never adjusts his scheme. I would see what happens to Anthony Lynn, Vic Fangio, and Ron Rivera. Or poach Richard from the cowboys 

Whitworth might retire. If he does, I'd grab Cordy Glenn. I would not cut Matthews. We don't save much money, and he's been a decent player for us. I don't believe in drafting positions. I originally had Curtis Weaver in the second, who is an edge, but he seems to have climbed into the late first. Woodward was the best player available to me. And I don't think LT is a need for us to address in the Draft.

As for the DC hire, you're conflating Quinn the HC with Quinn the DC. Quinn was the DC during the glory days of the Legion of Boom. I also watched him closely when he was the DC at UF. He's a brilliant defensive mind and a phenomenal DL Coach. As for the others you named, Lynn is an offensive coach, I doubt Denver fires Fangio so quickly (if they do, I agree that he's worth hiring), and I am betting on Rivera to get another HC gig. I think Richard could end up with a HC gig. If he doesn't, I am betting the Cowboys will put up a fight if we try to take him. We'll see. I originally had him as the DC in my mock, but I question if it's feasible.

• Like 1

I'm assuming we won't keep Littleton/Fowler either. Think there's a shot we can try and trade them similar to how Chiefs did Dee Ford? Could maybe grab a 2nd for either but at the very least pushes the pick up a year. 

Anything that gets rid of Weddle is going to be something I like. I don't think he's made a plan since he stopped the 4th and 9 draw in week 3. 

I'm pretty against keeping Zuerlein. He's been down this year and I worry that he's going to keep breaking down. This is the 3rd year in a row he's battled through injury and he'll command top dollar. 

46 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm assuming we won't keep Littleton/Fowler either. Think there's a shot we can try and trade them similar to how Chiefs did Dee Ford? Could maybe grab a 2nd for either but at the very least pushes the pick up a year. 

Anything that gets rid of Weddle is going to be something I like. I don't think he's made a plan since he stopped the 4th and 9 draw in week 3. 

I'm pretty against keeping Zuerlein. He's been down this year and I worry that he's going to keep breaking down. This is the 3rd year in a row he's battled through injury and he'll command top dollar. 

He's only 31. With the year he's having, I don't expect him to command top dollar. I keep thinking back to the Bears letting Gould walk. That has haunted them since it happened. I am not too keen on letting Greg go.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He's only 31. With the year he's having, I don't expect him to command top dollar. I keep thinking back to the Bears letting Gould walk. That has haunted them since it happened. I am not too keen on letting Greg go.

The durability for me is a real concern. I don't see him aging well with how the last 3 seasons have gone. 

Big fan of this offseason. I love the Harris and Uche picks, though I actually feel like we'd need to take Harris with our second rounder. The only pick i'm really not crazy about is our first one. I don't think Woodward is a great value in the second. I also think that we won't be prioritizing ILB as much going into the offseason, even if Littleton walks. 

• Like 1

I like it because it's probably the most level headed approach to the offseason, but based off of rumors and history, I think we will see one "shocking" move that we didn't expect. I actually think it will be centered around Brandin Cooks. We will likely moved forward with more 12 personnel in 2020 and this would really mean Cooks is expendable. We may be able to get a 2nd round pick or a player in return for Cooks. 

Hopefully we can restructure Goff or Donald's deal to free up some cap space as well. I'd love to keep Littleton or Fowler, but have a feeling it's not going to happen. Fowler really came on this year and turned into the player we thought he could be when trading for him. He made more than just pass rushing plays this season and him/Donald played off each other perfectly, but this will likely  lead to him getting a big pay day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I like it because it's probably the most level headed approach to the offseason, but based off of rumors and history, I think we will see one "shocking" move that we didn't expect. I actually think it will be centered around Brandin Cooks. We will likely moved forward with more 12 personnel in 2020 and this would really mean Cooks is expendable. We may be able to get a 2nd round pick or a player in return for Cooks. 

Hopefully we can restructure Goff or Donald's deal to free up some cap space as well. I'd love to keep Littleton or Fowler, but have a feeling it's not going to happen. Fowler really came on this year and turned into the player we thought he could be when trading for him. He made more than just pass rushing plays this season and him/Donald played off each other perfectly, but this will likely  lead to him getting a big pay day. 

I think Woods is more likely than Cooks (as much as that would hurt me). Cooks' contract and down year makes trading him unlikely imo. We'd be selling low, and I don't see teams giving up much for him with the money he's due after his 2019 season. We'd need to rebuild his value. Woods, on the other hand, is reasonably priced and coming off a productive year. But I just couldn't bring myself to trade him. I think the Raiders are a team who would love to grab a guy like Woods.

18 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Whose the slow Rapp-Kupp guy that has a high grade but will drop in this draft? Snead seems like a beast picking up these little gems. 

Can't say yet. Evan Weaver fits the mold of a super productive dude with outstanding football skills/instincts who is a meh athlete.

6 hours ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Big fan of this offseason. I love the Harris and Uche picks, though I actually feel like we'd need to take Harris with our second rounder. The only pick i'm really not crazy about is our first one. I don't think Woodward is a great value in the second. I also think that we won't be prioritizing ILB as much going into the offseason, even if Littleton walks. 

Harris is really undersized. I think he's scheme limited, which will drop him down the board a bit. We'll see. As for Woodward, I think he's a guy who will shoot up draft boards if he's healthy during the process. He's a complete LB with a lot of production, and there haven't been many of those over the past few years. I also think if we change schemes, we'll be looking for a LB (assuming Littleton walks).

Letting Littleton walks in FA would be the worst thing and the worst move for this defense.....and don't tell me how Wade don't care about his LB and that we can replace him with a random player because that's not true. 

Edited by Flounch

32 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Letting Littleton walks in FA would be the worst thing and the worst move for this defense.....and don't tell me how Wade don't care about his LB and that we can replace him with a random player because that's not true. 

Littleton is estimated to cost $13 million to $14 million per year. He's a good ILB, but we have to make hard decisions. It's not a hard decision to let him walk at that price.

On 24/12/2019 at 8:44 PM, jrry32 said:

Littleton is estimated to cost $13 million to $14 million per year. He's a good ILB, but we have to make hard decisions. It's not a hard decision to let him walk at that price.

I prefer letting go Brockers or Fowler than him. Even at 15M, we have to keep him. 

1 hour ago, Flounch said:

I prefer letting go Brockers or Fowler than him. Even at 15M, we have to keep him. 

No, we don't. We have to prioritize guys who aren't replaceable. I like Cory, but he's not Luke Kuechly or Bobby Wagner. Brockers is definitely gone unless he re-signs cheap. Fowler is almost certainly gone too. Frankly, I'd let Brockers, Fowler, and Littleton walk.

• Like 2