WEEK 16 JETS VS STEELERS

doumeyer

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

A friendly reminder that things could always be worse

Exactly why I was nearly the only guy on this forum who hated him and wanted nothing to do with him. When his name was called 1st overall I chugged my beer bc I knew that the jets couldn’t draft him

I was expecting a 10 point loss and a few offensive turnovers... so I was pleasantly surprised. Screw draft position, I like wins. We toughed out a close game and I'm happy for it. Great effort by the defense and the offense did just enough. Really happy to see Maye get a big INT.

We're now 6-6 in games where Darnold started this season, going into a game which I believe has no meaning for Buffalo. We could well finish the season with a winning record in games where we actually had a QB, which is kind of shocking given the general mood this season. If we can build a roughly league-average OL in the offseason and retain Gregg Williams, next season should be well worth watching.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheChad said:

I was expecting a 10 point loss and a few offensive turnovers... so I was pleasantly surprised. Screw draft position, I like wins. We toughed out a close game and I'm happy for it. Great effort by the defense and the offense did just enough. Really happy to see Maye get a big INT.

We're now 6-6 in games where Darnold started this season, going into a game which I believe has no meaning for Buffalo. We could well finish the season with a winning record in games where we actually had a QB, which is kind of shocking given the general mood this season. If we can build a roughly league-average OL in the offseason and retain Gregg Williams, next season should be well worth watching.

I’m all for us winning if it means that our QB and other young players performed great in the game. That’s didn’t happen yesterday. We won a sloppy game. Like I said... it’s great for confidence and all (which is big for young players). But these guys didn’t take a step forward in their development. Those are the wins I don’t really care for that push us further down in the draft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m all for us winning if it means that our QB and other young players performed great in the game. That’s didn’t happen yesterday. We won a sloppy game. Like I said... it’s great for confidence and all (which is big for young players). But these guys didn’t take a step forward in their development. Those are the wins I don’t really care for that push us further down in the draft.

You are starting to sound like me, but you are 100% correct. I think most of us on this board feel the same way. I am really starting to worry about the offseason, Douglas has so much work to do, where does even start.  Is it with cuts, resigning current players. wait for the draft, or sign FA? I don't do MOCK draft, but if there was ever a Jet season for MD this is it. 

13 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly why I was nearly the only guy on this forum who hated him and wanted nothing to do with him. When his name was called 1st overall I chugged my beer bc I knew that the jets couldn’t draft him

I would have taken Sam overBaker as well. Sam is bigger and younger and imo has more potential. However after almost two years Baker has more yards per game, more TDs, a lower INT rate and a higher passer rate. In fact this year, PFF has Baker with a higher grade than Sam.They measure turnover worthy throws and about mid season they had Baker with less turnover worthy throws than INTs. I would guess that that means some of his INTs were either tips or great defensive plays. I still think Sam has the higher ceiling but I think Cleveland would have been better off if they didn’t make the Odell trade and resigned Zeitler and drafted an OT. If they sign a new HC like Riley or Harbaugh, I think Baker will be fine. Kitchens might be the worst HC in the league and I don’t understand why they didn’t hire Williams, who I believe runs a tight ship, and keep what was working.

10 hours ago, Rich51 said:

I would have taken Sam overBaker as well. Sam is bigger and younger and imo has more potential. However after almost two years Baker has more yards per game, more TDs, a lower INT rate and a higher passer rate. In fact this year, PFF has Baker with a higher grade than Sam.They measure turnover worthy throws and about mid season they had Baker with less turnover worthy throws than INTs. I would guess that that means some of his INTs were either tips or great defensive plays. I still think Sam has the higher ceiling but I think Cleveland would have been better off if they didn’t make the Odell trade and resigned Zeitler and drafted an OT. If they sign a new HC like Riley or Harbaugh, I think Baker will be fine. Kitchens might be the worst HC in the league and I don’t understand why they didn’t hire Williams, who I believe runs a tight ship, and keep what was working.

Not an apples to apples comparison... Darnold’s throwing to Robby, Bell and scrubs while Baker has 2 star WRs and 2 star RBs

7 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'd hate to see what Baker would have looked like without the talent around him. Sheesh. 

Yeah Rick, I was shock when the Browns pick him # 1 overall in the draft, I wonder what the Browns were thinking when they drafted him? I though for sure we would end up with Mayfield. And at that period of time I think Macc would have taken Mayfield. Thank god that didn't happen.

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Yeah Rick, I was shock when the Browns pick him # 1 overall in the draft, I wonder what the Browns were thinking when they drafted him? I though for sure we would end up with Mayfield. And at that period of time I think Macc would have taken Mayfield. Thank god that didn't happen.

He had a great rookie year throwing to guys like Calloway, Higgins and Njoku. This year Calloway and Higgins get less than two targets per game combined, and Njoku is out. They let Zeitler leave in free agency. IMO, they really jumped the gun by going all in with OBJ and giving up their 1st, a third and 2018 1st round pick Peppers. Instead I think they should have continued to develop Calloway and Higgins, maybe use the 3rd to draft another Wr,  kept Zeitler and try to find a replacement for Joe Thomas, either in FA, with the money they shelled out for OBJ, or the draft(7 OTs were taken between their original 1st and 2nd). PFF says that his problem this year is due to some inaccurate passing. Accuracy was never a problem for him in college or last year. It might be the hype got into his head or maybe he’s forcing throws because he got a big time receiver, probably both.