Moretti's bored at work mock 12/22/19

moretti19

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're all freaking out about the Bulaga contract decision. We all hate the Jimmy Graham contract. 

If you fuse those together, you get AJ Green's next contract.

Completely agree which is why I can't keep Bulaga next year either. 

On 12/23/2019 at 10:04 AM, Golfman said:

Completely agree which is why I can't keep Bulaga next year either. 

Would normally agree but we go nothing behind him.  In a box right now.  I'd try to sign him to a 3 year deal with an easy out after 1.  Having a phenomenal year and he won't be easily replaced.  We are kinda screwed don't think we have a choice but to bring him back.  

I'm going to go a different direction here and criticize the actual mock. MAJOR reaches in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and FWIW you have three undraftable players in the last 3 rounds. You flip flop the IDL pick with the first round pick and I actually like order of positions you've gone here because pick 85 is where ILB becomes great value and we're likely picking a few spots away from that. Day 3 looks like the kind of draft we will have based on which positions you've chosen there as well and in that order. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Kills your ability to pick up bodies in FA, but it's something to consider 

So my 2 year, 12m just ain't gonna happen.  Bulaga has stayed considerably healthier than I anticipated this year.  

After last off season's success, I do a lot less hand wringing about free agency.  Gute will find a way to improve the team.  I think he finds a way to get Bulaga, Martinez and Clark back in the fold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cheech said:

So my 2 year, 12m just ain't gonna happen.  Bulaga has stayed considerably healthier than I anticipated this year.  

After last off season's success, I do a lot less hand wringing about free agency.  Gute will find a way to improve the team.  I think he finds a way to get Bulaga, Martinez and Clark back in the fold.

Now theres some positive spirit on Christmas Day!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Clark's not a FA. You don't have to do anything with Clark. 

The positions of need are: RT, DT, ILB, TE, WR, Slot CB, K

After cutting Jimmy Graham and Lane Taylor, you've got 31 million and a handful of draft picks.

Bulaga's franchise tag is currently 16 million.

After you bring back: Kumerow, Sullivan, Tonyan, Brown, Lancaster, Lazard, that takes up 2 million.

Let's be super aggressive and say we can get Crosby back for 3 million.

That still only leaves you with 10 million for ILB, TE, WR, and slot CB. Martinez alone may end up getting 10 million. 

If you go that route, you then are banking on internal development or rookies at TE, WR, and slot CB.

That's assuming you burn the 1st rounder on a DT. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Clark's not a FA. You don't have to do anything with Clark. 

The positions of need are: RT, ILB, TE, WR, Slot CB, K

After cutting Jimmy Graham and Lane Taylor, you've got 31 million and a handful of draft picks.

Bulaga's franchise tag is currently 16 million.

After you bring back: Kumerow, Sullivan, Tonyan, Brown, Lancaster, Lazard, that takes up 2 million.

Let's be super aggressive and say we can get Crosby back for 3 million.

That still only leaves you with 10 million for ILB, TE, WR, and slot CB. Martinez alone may end up getting 10 million. 

If you go that route, you then are banking on internal development or rookies at TE, WR, and slot CB.

Call it wishful thinking, but I do think Bulaga will come back on a reasonable deal that wouldn't require 16 in cap space for one year.  He's a family guy, I think he genuinely likes where he's at, and he's on a team that knows how to keep him healthy with the extra vet rest that he gets throughout the season.  

At WR, I'd let Kumerow and Allison walk.  I'm going ahead with Adams, Lazard, MVS, EQ, and a rookie.  This class is loaded at WR - we could see a difference maker in the 2nd or 3rd round yet.  With the amount of reps that LF gives to TE, FB, and 2 back sets, I wouldn't keep a 6th WR.  I guess you could bring both guys back to camp just in case of injury - but I dont see either guy as a must have.

I'm drafting a TE too, but for now I think a TE group of Lewis, Tonyan, and Sternberger is servicable enough.  There are quite a few that think Sternberger has a very high ceiling as a pass catcher.  Lazard, at 6'5" 230 plays a lot like a move TE, too.  I thought that the reason (besides production) that he's playing more and MVS is playing less is LF's preference to run  condensed formations - and Lazard is a hell of a blocker out of those sets.  I see Sternberger growing into a really nice player if he's used in a similar way.  

After RT and ILB, I'd say DT and RB are fairly big needs for depth.  Adams just hasn't made that year 3 leap.  KeKe hasn't been given many chances to play, although I think he's a very high-upside guy.  I'd like to see a 2-gap player to pair with Clark.  

At RB, I'm sold on 32.  What a huge addition mid-season.  I wonder if he can do some similar things as 33 if he has an offseason to learn the offense.  Still, I'd love to see another back brought in as insurance.