WEEK 17 GDT - @SEATTLE

N4L

9 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I was watching the All-22 and wanted to see what happened on the TD to Moore that was called back. It was actually a great play call by the Seahawks but our back end misplayed it badly. Warner was matching up with Moore all the way through and then just stopped and then Spoon had a decision to make and played the underneath post but what I have the biggest issue with is that Harris was in no man's land. Like he HAS to use his instincts there and play Moore over the top since there was no other route for him to cover/help on. Like this is EXACTLY what Steve Smith was referring to after the Rams game. He said that our players just play their zone but you have to have a better feel and can't let receivers get behind you. Literally the ONLY receiver Harris had to defend there and he just let's him go free without helping. Our communication in the back end took such a huge hit once Tartt left. It's not about the plays the safeties make in this defense that matter, but it is the plays they prevent from happening is what matters the most. I'm pretty sure if Tartt is there that we defend that play much better and prevent the TD. Spoon may have technically had deep responsibility there and could have got deeper in his zone, but the Seahawks ran the perfect play there to make the CB hesitate just enough...But that's where if Harris picks up Moore, we still stop it.

Good take on it. That’s the stuff you can’t see watching the game. And where sometimes you don’t appreciate a player because they aren’t all over the stat sheet. But I think getting back Tart, Alexander and Ford could make enormous changes to this defense and could have it playing like the early season defense. I just wish DJ Jones and Blair were healthy, but if those are the only two out, we’re in great shape.