WEEK 17 GDT - @SEATTLE

N4L

8 hours ago, Forge said:

We really need the pressure to get amped up (without blitzing) again. The biggest reason for the defensive struggles, in my opinion. I think that Blair injury was pretty brutal, to be honest, especially when paired with the Ford injury. Our defensive ends are tired. 

Before the Seattle game, Bosa's defensive snaps played were between 30-41, with a snap percentage between 43-85%. 

Starting with the Seattle game (Blair's injury)? He hasn't played fewer than 51 (last week), and has been between 51-68 with a percentage between 73% - and two games of 94%. He did have the Green Bay game where he was only in there for 67% snaps, but it was still 53 total snaps (higher than anything pre Seattle) and he was out in the third quarter. 

This is asking a lot of him. The dude was a rotational player even in college, and missed all of last season. He's got to be a bit tired (though makes it all the more impressive with the way he's still handling tackles, even if he's not getting home). 

AA is the same boat. Pre Seattle, he had played in only one game where he had 80% of the snaps (Washington, he played 83%). Starting with Seattle? He's hit over 90% of the defensive snaps 3 times and has a 4th game of 88%. Like Bosa, his lowest snap count from week 10 on is higher than his highest snap count from week 1-9. 

That's a lot of football over the past 7 weeks that they maybe weren't quite ready for. 

Absolutely, and the early bye week prevented the DL from getting any sort of rest. This is why the bye week is crucial as they are running on fumes at this point. 

DL depth is so important for great defenses. Having someone like Blair who can fill in and be productive is huge. Then obviously DJ Jones was turning into a little monster and losing him REALLY hurt the defense. 

Oh well, just need to win on Sunday night and the DL will get the bye week they desperately need. 

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Agree with much here and the full post, though I do think losing Kwon and Tartt lately have added misery to us. And of course, I think Salad does the rushers no favors by playing soft on the back end. Seeing so much of 51 and 57 was so not the plan, going into the season. They are young and growing, but the lessons learned at times have been rough on us. 

We will definitely need "Good Jimmy" to show up early and often, this weekend... and the D can't allow Lynch to gash us at 6+ yds a clip either. 

51 has bothered me a lot more than 57. But 56 pushing 57 back to his SAM role would definitely be the ideal scenario. 

Still hopeful for Al-Shaair. He hasn't been a complete waste. But seeing him in a Special Teams only role in the playoffs would be a godsend. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

I don't buy the "that wasn't the plan and its just the way it worked out" angle with regards to breida. I mean, we saw this earlier in the year with pettis. There was obviously a reason behind it (he was in the dog house)

Agreed.

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Really torn on this one. If he's not ready to go, he's not ready to go and I wouldn't want to force him into action even though this game is insanely important. But damn, we could really use him lol. 

I would think the test is easy enough.

Start him on hitting that tackle dummy. Also, just in covering ground and using arms wild and reaching up. Start at 25% effort/intensity.. slowly work your way up and in different angles. If he can get the effort/intensity to a high level with no or minimal pain, probably give it a go. Like you say, insanely important game.. where maybe we get a 70% win outcome with a bye and 1 less playoff game needed.. vs a 45% win outcome with a long WC stretch ending with more road visits beginning. 

On 12/24/2019 at 7:49 PM, oldman9er said:

Hope so. I like black, but so did not like to see that black 49ers uni. 

I hope the Seacucks are not then going to wear that putrid greenish uni. 

Yet again, I'm in the minority here.  Those black uniforms are, by far, my favorite.

54 minutes ago, N4L said:

I don't buy the "that wasn't the plan and its just the way it worked out" angle with regards to breida. I mean, we saw this earlier in the year with pettis. There was obviously a reason behind it (he was in the dog house)

Ball security is too important but I still think Breida can have a huge game any given sunday, Mostert is simply playing like the best back on the team so he's earned the reps. 

Pettis is legitimately done with this team

1 hour ago, Ataal said:

Yet again, I'm in the minority here.  Those black uniforms are, by far, my favorite.

is all kinds of good. The world would be a boring place, if everyone had the exact same likes and such. winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

( just as long as u hate the Seacucks, that IS a must requirement )

Jadeveon Clowney: ‘There’s no way I’m not playing’ in Seahawks’ NFC West title game Sunday

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article238734338.html

2 hours ago, Ataal said:

I like the black. My problem is that they made the names / numbers very difficult to read at times. So they need to clean that up, then I'd have no issues whatsoever with them 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I like the black. My problem is that they made the names / numbers very difficult to read at times. So they need to clean that up, then I'd have no issues whatsoever with them 

And there's no gold. Not even trim, socks or piping. Gotta have some gold in there imo...

I always wanted us to have a alt gold jersey with white numbers and red trim. Always though it would look so sick with white pants w/gold and red piping...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

This is my main issue as well. If they at least did that it would be ok. 

With that said, not a fan of the blacks. It's just not a 49er look. 

I actually like the all whites because they have black shadowing around the numbers. Our regular jerseys look like our moms ironed on the numbers onto our jerseys before the game. It's pitiful tbh 

Time to modernize our jerseys a little bit with some depth. Stick to red and gold though. Black is an accent color to us not one of our colors 

• Like 1