Brian Cushing 10 Game Suspension

ET80

I'm telling you - THIS is the other side of the Duane Brown situation as well.   Remember, last year he had his 10 game suspension overturned because of the ridiculous "Mexican meat" defense which was almost as contrived as Cushing's over-trained athlete excuse. Understand - Brown tried to escape his offseason test by fleeing to Mexico in the first place, but once that failed his people found another loophole with the meat defense - which is a subsequently closed loophole that is the equivalent of running from the cops after wrecking your car and then claiming to have consumed a bunch of alcohol after you returned home, but before the cops could administer a breathalizer. 

Recognize just how hard it is to actually test positive the way the NFL system is administered.  At most 10 players can be tested per week and you can only be tested 6 times in a season.  Guess what happens after that 10th player or the 6th test?  You also get up to 24 hours to supply a sample which is a hole any life-long roid abusers like Cushing/Brown can drive a tractor thru with ever evolving masking agents.  The body naturally regenerates blood supply every 3 hours.  HGH can only be detected 24-48 hours using the antiquated test the NFL uses so it doesn't take a genius (of which Cushing most certainly IS NOT) to figure out when he is free and clear to dose (hint NFL doesn't allow tests on game days either).  The NFL conveniently destroys samples after 90 days unlike ever other agency that freezes them for 10 years, so there isn't even the threat that if the NFL ever adopts even current level tests that can detect HGH for 3 weeks or retroactively find the newer masking agents used.  

In short, guys like Cushing and Brown are the guys that represent "the worst of the worst" steroid abusers in the NFL.  If you don't care about the ethical issues about cheating or damage the roided up players do to themselves & the people they hit, you should at least care about the fraudulently inflated contacts they receive and the diminishing returns the teams receive as their bodies break down with the inevitable soft tissue damage.  Couple that with the suspensions or "performance diminished" players who get off the juice out of fear of suspension and this remains an on field football issue as well as off field.

Cushing this week vs. December 2016 and Nov 2015.  I already mentioned how small and out of shape he looked on gameday this week (zero definition and a gut -  his post cycle his man boobs might be under there as well).  Couple that with getting absolutely throttled by the Jags run inside and it all makes sense.  This is what your $52 million LB looks like on vs. off the juice. Fraud!!!

temp_2MP0318--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?wid

September 2017

920x920.jpg

Dec 2016

1024x1024.jpg

Nov 2015

BTW - If Bob McNair does not CUT Brian Cushing TODAY, I will lose the final ounce of respect I left for him.  It's not only the right ethical decision after he again humiliated the franchise after you personally went to the league office supporting his pregnancy defense, but it's the right football decision as it means he would only cost $2.78 to cut opening up $6.5 million in cap this year and $8.5 million next year ($9.5 in 2019, but he was never going to get that).  It was already clear the past two+ seasons that roids and injuries made his 2013 6 year / $52 million deal one of Rick's most ill advised, but now you have the perfect out.  You owe the man no loyalty, unless you are complicit with his steroid use somehow being for the good of the team, vs. all the time missed to suspension and injury.  The dude has been a fraud since high school and you have rewarded him with $43 million reasons to cheat so far and one more dollar is too many.  Chump change for a guy like McNair who made his billions laundering Enron's fake money, but enough is enough.  For God's sake, the only reason Cushing dropped his appeal is that he'd likely be out 6 weeks with his "major" concussion anyway, so he gets to be a 2nd time offender with a first time offender penalty (aside from the game checks).  We already cut Max Bullough (another life-long roider) after finally getting caught once (officially), so if Cushing is kept around you are implicitly endorsing steroid use as long as it makes you good enough linebacker to be a starter.    

6 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Well the season is looking up. He's been a net negative. McKinney and Cunningham will be our long term solutions anyway 

Call me crazy, but I think Cole takes the gig from Cunningham this season. Cunningham will get a ton of PT and might re-take the job next season, but Cole looks like the better player right now.

9 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

BTW - If Bob McNair does not CUT Brian Cushing TODAY, I will lose the final ounce of respect I left for him.

This interests me. You've gotta think that Cushing is pretty much done in the eyes of fans. You've gotta think that if the 49ers game rolls around and Cushing comes running out of the tunnel as the starter (or even as a reserve) the boos are going to rain down. You'll have entire swaths of fans disavow this team if Cushing lines up for us at any time.

I get that there's a strategic aspect of the cap, but that's about as minimal as one can get in relation to this issue. It's roughly a $6mn call relief if you cut the guy, but a $9mm relief if he's cut during the next fiscal year (check my math on this). Is that extra $3mm worth it?

Lest you think my opinion on Cushing are just fanboy rants - teammate Vonta Leach sent out a tweet saying Cushing has "always juiced." 

And yes - cutting Brian Cushing NOW is worth it.  We save an additional $4 million this year PLUS $8 million next year PLUS $9.5 million in 2019.  For perspective, only 9 Texans count $4 million in cap dollars this season and only 8 more count between $2-$4 million.  For the price we will pay a slow, shriveling, likely to get injured again Brian Cushing for 6 games at the end of the season we could pay 2-3 starters this season and a top shelf free agent next year.  We could also trade for a veteran for a rebuilding team looking to dump salary - Joe Haden sure would look nice in a Texans uniform right now and cost the Steelers all of $3.1 million this year - his worst game is better than Kareem Jackson or Kevin Johnson's best.     

Archived